login

Author Topic: Realistic Native Weapon Sizes (RNWS) - current version is 1.61 (FINAL)  (Read 89862 times)

Offline hayate666

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Realistic Size Arms for Native - current version is 1.61 (FINAL)
« Reply #105 on: November 15, 2007, 01:57:07 am »
Of course the RCM works! I've said it so often that I assumed it goes without saying :green: If the plate armours go, doesn't that mean that several anti-plate weapons have to go as well?

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 15, 2007, 02:51:08 am »
Not really.  War hammers and the like were used against maille and brigandine armors long before articulated plate joints came into use.

Just that hardened steel plate armors with fully articulated joints made such weapons a necessity rather than an option... and therefore a standard weapon instead of a rarity.

Offline The Yogi

• Guildsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 15, 2007, 09:28:35 am »
Well, simply purging plate from the troops file is the easiest way of turning Native RCM from a developers tool to a playable mod. The other way would be to completely overhaul all troop loadouts and go for a consistent early Renaissance panoply. Some items would also have to be added, for example there's only one Native helmet which can be contemporary with full plate is one of the bascinets (not the coical one, which just screams XIV century).

So, much easier to take away full plate and substitute with coat of plate/brigandine.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 15, 2007, 05:10:46 pm »
"Playable" being relative.  There would still be roughly one gazillion things that were horribly unbalanced.  By the time they were all cleaned up, you would have a complete mod.

Better to just build real mods and forget about patchwork and half-measures.

Offline The Yogi

• Guildsman
    • View Profile
Re: Realistic Native Weapon Sizes (RNWS) - current version is 1.61 (FINAL)
« Reply #109 on: September 22, 2008, 02:06:53 am »
After having a look at v1.003, I've decided that weapons are still oversized in Native (most swords have a good 15-20 cm extra length), and so a new version of Realistic Native Weapon sizes is called for.

However, at the moment there are no editing tools that work and no module system. As soon as that is corrected, there will be a RNWS for v1.x

DaBlade

« Reply #110 on: September 22, 2008, 11:35:49 am »
Glad to hear you'll make a new version for 1.003.

virus_found

« Reply #111 on: September 28, 2008, 05:52:39 am »
oh, I second that :) longing for it

Offline The Yogi

• Guildsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 26, 2009, 09:41:15 am »
This is just to reassure people that I still intend to update the package, but I'm still at the loss for usable software. Specifically, I can't see how to do this without a version of BRFEdit compatible with v1.011. I need that length tool.

Perdikas

« Reply #113 on: February 12, 2009, 03:10:35 pm »
Do you also, still intend to re-work RR_Raptor's weapon collection? Once the length tool does become available, I would greatly appreciate it!  :)

Offline The Yogi

• Guildsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 13, 2009, 01:23:42 am »
I can include the swords of the raptor pack. The scabbards, however, are property of TLD, so I can't add them into a package. I might however use resized generic scabbards for them. We'll see, it's a question of workload and spare time (huge and small respectively). :)

Perdikas

« Reply #115 on: February 13, 2009, 01:52:04 am »
Ofcourse, I understand. Either way, I am glad to hear it.  :)

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 13, 2009, 02:19:15 am »
Hey, there are some replacement weapons for some of the Native stuff in the fantasy-theme project I'm working on. 

Last sampler release:
http://mbx.streetofeyes.com/index.php/topic,1653.msg33588.html#msg33588

They're not specifically "realistic size", as some of them are deliberately fantasy, and others are taken off of the most extreme examples in history ... but at least a number of them look more like the real thing than some of the Native ones do.  The spears are spear-length, the short swords are short swords, and so forth.  The lengths in the module_items.py file are correct. 

You're welcome to use them ... just scrap a bunch of the very ugly Native models and use these instead.  They're low-poly, and the lines are clean.

Other than that ... considering the current issues with BRFEdit, the only way you can do what you're doing requires you to export every model, pull it up in Wings 3D or some such, and rework it.  Not impossible, but probably more work than it is worth.

Offline The Yogi

• Guildsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 02, 2009, 05:57:51 am »
Thanks Ron, I'll be sure to grab those if this ever gets flying again. I've not forgotten the excellent work you did for the last RNWS release.

At the moment it's looking bleak though. It's been so long since v1.011 came out that I'm beginning to doubt Thorgrim is ever going to update BREFEdit to be fully compatible with it.

Offline LCJr

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Guess you still haven't realized you can open the new weapons in the older versions of BRFEdit.  I used 0.8.3b since it was the only old version I could find.  It'll spit errors at you and it will be untextured but you can check the length.  And of course once you know the length then you can make your adjustments with 0.8.9.5.

mace_b from weapons_e.brf

Link to 0.8.3b courtesy of Thorgrim.  http://members.iinet.net.au/~dstent/mnb/BRFEdit0-8-3b.exe
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 10:44:40 am by LCJr »

Offline The Yogi

• Guildsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 01, 2009, 03:03:28 pm »
I had no idea!

Thanks man! You might just have saved RNWS!