Author Topic: Realistic Native Weapon Sizes (RNWS) - current version is 1.61 (FINAL)  (Read 89870 times)

sdog

Re: Realistic Size Arms for Native - current version is 1.61 (FINAL)
« Reply #90 on: November 12, 2007, 11:48:32 am »
just downloaded rnwsv161.zip from the repository, and it really doesn't seem to include a readme.

(It's a pitty, as wanted to make a fun joke about many people not being able to see readmes on their computers, due to an effort of M$ to keep disturbing and confusing information away from them. This is the only explanation for the behaviour of about 15% of forum members in mod related threads, i could find yet.)

ps.: i'm checking the zip on a linux machnie, so there really doesn't seem to be a readme included.

Offline The Yogi

• Guildsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 12, 2007, 12:14:01 pm »
How embarrassing :-[

I'll upload it at once.

EDIT: Done.

Text (corrected for errors discovered below in the thread):

***REALISTIC NATIVE WEAPON SIZES v1.61 by THE YOGI***
   -FINAL VERSION FOR M&B v0.894-

-INSTALLATION-

NATIVE:
Unzip the files into the mod folder you want to use RNWS with. If this
is not Native, you cannot use the compiled item1.txt files and the module.ini files
(for RCM and vanilla). If it is Native, back up and remove the original item1.txt and
module.ini files and rename the set of files you want to use (RCM or vanilla) to item1.txt
and module.ini. Now you're good to go!

OTHER MODULES:
The Python source files are only weapon lists for copy/pasting into the module_items.py
file. This is to make it easier to integrate RNWS into other mods. After you've done
pasting over the native weapons stats in module_items.py, compile the mod.

You must also change the following lines in your module.ini file;

from

load_resource = weapon_meshes1
load_resource = weapon_meshes_b
load_resource = weapon_meshes_c

to

load_mod_resource = weapon_meshes1
load_mod_resource = weapon_meshes_b
load_mod_resource = weapon_meshes_c

And you're done!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 12:17:57 am by The Yogi »

Offline hayate666

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 12, 2007, 01:37:45 pm »
When talking to the weaponsmith in Zendar, I get two RGL errors stating "Unable to find mesh war_sword" and "Unable to find mesh great_hammer". I'm using the RCM version of your mod. There also is a typo in the name of the poleaxe. It says "Pollaxe". Perhaps it's an admin's tool or something? ;)

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 12, 2007, 05:13:16 pm »
"Pollaxe"  is the correct spelling for that weapon.  Originally used like "pollaxe lance".  "Poll" being an old-English term for the head of an axe or hammer, hence poll-axe, as in "having an axe head"

The descriptive expression "pole-axe" (as in "axe with a polearm handle") was not adopted until well after such weapons were out of use.  George Silver ("Paradoxes of Defence", 1599) referred to them as "battle axe, halberd, or black bill, or such like weapons of weight".

It's like "chainmail" being a term only adopted after about 1800, well after maille armors were out of common use.  Only a historian would know that.

Offline The Yogi

• Guildsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 13, 2007, 03:22:45 am »
When talking to the weaponsmith in Zendar, I get two RGL errors stating "Unable to find mesh war_sword" and "Unable to find mesh great_hammer". I'm using the RCM version of your mod. There also is a typo in the name of the poleaxe. It says "Pollaxe". Perhaps it's an admin's tool or something? ;)

Hmmm.... I just checked the weapon_meshes1.brf file in the package and the war_sword and great_hammer are there, and the error indicates they are properly called for in the items file. So only thing I can think of is that the mod.ini file doesn't give correct loading instructions. Are you using the RCM-mod.ini (renamed to mod.ini) file that was provided in the package?

Offline hayate666

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 13, 2007, 06:49:54 am »
Ron:

Nice trivia. Didn't know that one. It still sounds like a useful admintool though :green:

Yogi:

Yep. I've done everything that was mentioned on a fresh install of native 0.894. I'm using the RCM-mod.ini renamed to mod.ini. Wrote over everything with the same file name and all that.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 13, 2007, 08:02:51 am »
Actually, I think I typed in the "pollaxe" reference without even thinking, and Yogi copied it.

Haven't had time to check your little bug there ... I'll try to confirm it (and/or run it down) tomorrow, if and when I get some time. 

Offline The Yogi

• Guildsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 13, 2007, 01:50:43 pm »
I was unable to reproduce your bug when applying your mod to a fresh install of Native. I have no idea what could be the problem, except that if those meshes cannot be found, then either the mod is not looking in the right place or there's something wrong with the weapon_meshes1.brf file.

Check the contents of your Native/Resources folder. Are there three weapon_meshes files there?

Will keep looking, nevertheless. Can anyone else reproduce this bug?

BTW, regarding the pollaxe thing, when I got the models from Ron, I too thought he had misspellt, so I checked it out on the net, found that pollaxe was the more correct spelling and went with it.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 01:53:16 pm by The Yogi »

Offline hayate666

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 13, 2007, 04:35:48 pm »
I checked and every mesh you mentioned is where it's supposed to be. Tried redownloading, reinstalling again, removing every trace of Mount and Blade from the face of my computer and reinstalling and last but not least, removing every trace of Mount and Blade from the face of my computer, redownloading and reinstalling. I started a new game every time. When I get the RGL errors, I can see most items in the inventory of the weaponsmith. Just the Greathammer and a Sword of War are missing. Yet, at the start of the game no weaponsmith has a complete inventory, so it may very well be there's more missing.

Offline The Yogi

• Guildsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 13, 2007, 07:19:02 pm »
OK, this is really strange.  ???

I do not doubt that you have this problem, but I've done mostly the same as you (installed my mod on a fresh copy of native) and it works perfectly. Something must be screwed up with the instructions then.

EDIT: I think I found a problem with the instructions. I wrote there to rename the file RCM-module.ini to "mod.ini" and it should be "module.ini". :-[  If you left the original module.ini intact and renamed "RCM-module.ini" to mod.ini, then what you describe should happen.

Could this be the reason?

If that did not help...

war_sword and great_hammer are meshes that exist on late versions of the RNWS weapon_meshes1.brf file but not on the original file in the Commonres folder. Therfore, it seems for some reason I cannot understand your game is reading from there, and not from the resource subfolder in the Native folder.

Could you copy everything from the .ini file you're using beginning with the first line starting with "load_resource" down to the end of the file, and post here?

« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 07:21:05 pm by The Yogi »

Offline hayate666

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 13, 2007, 07:42:28 pm »
The first reason was right on the money. The damn faulty instructions were the cause of the problem. ::)

After the 6th reinstall today and after using your latest insight on the instructions everything worked and showed up correctly. At least the instructions have been tested thoroughly now. Tomorrow I will test it out further. See if anything fishy comes up ;)

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 13, 2007, 10:09:01 pm »
Dang ... I looked right at that and didn't even notice.  Guess I just thought everybody knew what he was talking about.

Classic.

Offline hayate666

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 14, 2007, 02:40:11 pm »
At least the hassle with the instructions was completely worth it! I've tested several different weapons and playstyles today and I'm really impressed by the new weapon sizes. It sort of balances melee combat. Weapons are notably good against different things now. There's especially a big difference for mounted combat. Not everything is long enough to use easily. A pollaxe or glaive is much better than before, because there are fewer weapons that pose a threat to their reach. It feels fair now that they have a slower speed. All in all, combat feels a lot better and more logical.

Offline The Yogi

• Guildsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 14, 2007, 03:24:17 pm »
Well, sorry about the faulty instructions, and I'm happy you're enjoying RNWS! It's good to know my effort has not been wasted! BTW, the slowness vs reach thing depends equally much on RCM. It really does elevate the M&B experience to a whole new level.

Although for RCM Native, I'd recommend purging Plate Armour from the troops file, it just unbalances things greatly. In the era of plate, more regular soldiers would have special armour-piercing weapons. In an otherwise mostly X-XIV century setting, those cans are next to invincible - but then again it would be like bringing an M1 to WW2.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 05:03:35 pm by The Yogi »

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 14, 2007, 06:59:38 pm »
Agreed ... except that RCM Native was never intended to be a playable mod.  I created it as a dev tool, and never expected anybody to try to play it long-term.

To make it playable, weapons loadouts on troops would have to be completely reworked, either plate armor removed or its use greatly expanded (depending on the desired setting).

But that was left to real mods.  It is generally beyond the scope of the RCM.  (Although I've helped set that up for several mods too.)