login

Author Topic: Realistic Native Weapon Sizes (RNWS) - current version is 1.61 (FINAL)  (Read 65735 times)

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
Re: Realistic Size Arms for Native - current version is 1.4 (SEMI-FINAL)
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2007, 05:40:01 AM »
Are you planning to resize bows too? That'd be good.

Hope this isn't clutter =/

Was there something wrong with the size of the bows?

Well, I mean the "long bow" is more like a "slightly longer than average bow" instead of those seven-foot-long monstrosities that the English called a "long bow" ... but outside of that, they don't look all that out of spec.

Papa Lazarou

« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2007, 06:28:24 AM »
If I remember right... the hunting bow is as tall as a man (while strung). Seems a little much. But I guess the main problem with bows is the draw length. I mean, they draw the string past their head. That deforms some bows pretty badly - particularly the smaller ones (nomad etc.)

Offline The Yogi

• Guildsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2007, 08:19:54 AM »
I wasn't aware of the bad size of bows. I'll have a look at them, they should be easy since we don't need to change any stats from chaning their size.

Wow, I've got my work cut out for me...

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2007, 08:30:35 AM »
The draw clear back to the ear is part of the animation ... you can't change that with the weapon model, and if you try, you're going to get the hand back by the ear and the string hovering out in air six inches forward of that.

Plus, messing with the bow sizes is going to get into all of those frames of animation.

Advise not touching the bows unless you really want to start something.

Offline The Yogi

• Guildsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2007, 10:15:07 AM »
M'key...

I REALLY don't want to rescale any more animations unless I have to (ie someone forces me at gunpoint).

Offline The Yogi

• Guildsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2007, 02:23:24 PM »
OK, latest attempt at pollaxe rescaling;

Length reduced to 60%, other axes unchanged.

Length is now on the short side of historical length, and still it looks too big to me. It's the business end of it that's oversized, and no amount of rescaling can fix that. I'm firing up wings while I wait for your new model, Ron.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2007, 06:12:02 PM »
I'll try to get to it today.  Stand by.

Again, no promises of it being good ... I just said it would be the right size.

------------------------------

EDIT:
Sent.  Yogi, check your mail. 

Also, if anybody else needs a decent looking short halberd and a bec-de-corbin to replace the rather crummy-looking Native pole-axe and that absurd neolithic pole-hammer, I'll send these to you.  They're nothing special, but they do fix the problem.

--------------------------
Edit again: 
Those two I sent you were not particularly shorter than the Native ones, just heads of relatively normal dimensions (instead of freakishly long but oddly narrow axe blades).  If you really want shorter ones, give me an exact length and that can be done too.  Also, target weight - if you want lighter ones, I can do that too.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 03:42:20 AM by Ron Losey »

Offline The Yogi

• Guildsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2007, 04:34:48 AM »
EDIT:
Sent.  Yogi, check your mail. 

Also, if anybody else needs a decent looking short halberd and a bec-de-corbin to replace the rather crummy-looking Native pole-axe and that absurd neolithic pole-hammer, I'll send these to you.  They're nothing special, but they do fix the problem.

Edit again: 
Those two I sent you were not particularly shorter than the Native ones, just heads of relatively normal dimensions (instead of freakishly long but oddly narrow axe blades).  If you really want shorter ones, give me an exact length and that can be done too.  Also, target weight - if you want lighter ones, I can do that too.

Thanks, I'll have a look when I get back from work tonight. My youngest boy fell asleep before dinner and couldn't be waken, then he did wake up at 10.30 PM craving nourishment, so there was precious little modding time last night... :D

Size is really not a problem, that I can fix easily, correct proportions is the main thing. I guess we could turn the big pollaxe into an OK large halberd though (not that there is such a thing in Native, but still). A bec-de corbin would be a good thing. I hate the polehammer.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2007, 04:44:50 AM »
Yeah, well, the shape of the heads on those are straight out of Talhoffer.  Just a question of length and weight ... but the way I tweaked them around, you probably can't do much with the rescale in BRFEdit.  It will require a little bit of strategic spot-rescale if you want a different look.  So if there's a problem with what you were looking for, tell me and let me monkey with it, rather than just rescaling it.

Offline The Yogi

• Guildsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2007, 07:58:21 AM »
Yeah, well, the shape of the heads on those are straight out of Talhoffer.  Just a question of length and weight ... but the way I tweaked them around, you probably can't do much with the rescale in BRFEdit.  It will require a little bit of strategic spot-rescale if you want a different look.  So if there's a problem with what you were looking for, tell me and let me monkey with it, rather than just rescaling it.

As I said, I haven't had time to look at it yet, but the total length (not length stat) I was aiming for was about somewhere between 1,75m and 2m or about the length of a man, which it seems was the most common length for pollaxes in the middle ages, even if they became longer in the XVI and XVII centuries.

Offline The Yogi

• Guildsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2007, 04:32:30 PM »
The latest version of the pollaxe. Ron did the axehead and I changed the spearpoint to a sharp spike.

It's beggining to look right, methinks! :)

DaBlade

« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2007, 10:16:37 PM »
I think it looks better than the native one. ;) Not sure about the blue spike though.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 10:18:10 PM by DaBlade »

Offline The Yogi

• Guildsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2007, 10:22:31 PM »
heh, I know. Comes from not knowing texturing, but a better version is in the works. Apparently spiked pollaxes are late ones, I didn't  know that.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2007, 11:16:58 PM »
heh, I know. Comes from not knowing texturing, but a better version is in the works. Apparently spiked pollaxes are late ones, I didn't  know that.

Conical spikes were used in response to plate armor.

Yogi, check your mail ... more samples.  We'll get one that fits the bill eventually.

Offline The Yogi

• Guildsman
    • View Profile
Re: Realistic Size Arms for Native - current version is 1.5 (SEMI-FINAL)
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2007, 02:59:28 AM »
Version 1.5 is out with the latest pollaxe, a bec-de-corbin replacing the stone-head pole hammer, a new-better looking model for the double-headed axe (all courtesy of Ron) and finally, all by my lonesome I was able to use Wings to scale up only the handle of the Greatsword so that it doesn't look like a chopstick any more. Also implemented 1/2H use of Fighting Axe and Axe.