login

Author Topic: [OLD] Porting FAQ  (Read 549016 times)

Offline Shik

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Offiical TLD to 1.0 porting FAQ
« Reply #300 on: January 06, 2009, 02:22:26 am »
and unexpected things keep happening. We can't put in wargs in for instance, because the horse skeleton has changed and there's a problem with the BRFedit or something..

Yeah. However, porting over the horses might actually be possible:

Take a look at this:
Actual new horse meshes, rigged and working fine, not just retextures.
http://forums.taleworlds.net/index.php/topic,42454.msg1366313.html#msg1366313

Dain Ironfoot apparently figured out how to work around the skeleton problem. There's more in that thread about it.

I'm actually pretty surprised that people are only beginning to notice to incompatibilities of the current BRFedit with the latest horse skeleton.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 06, 2009, 03:05:06 am »
Actually, it has been pretty common knowledge that the horse skeleton situation was flawed ... since .890, at least.  There was all kinds of trouble importing new horse models for OnR, back months ago, until somebody (I would have to look up who finally did that, but it wasn't me) finally re-rigged them more or less totally by hand.  So nobody is really surprised that there are still flaws.  It's just one of those "it comes with the territory" problems.

But it's not like anybody "just noticed' ... more like everybody knows about it, but getting ahead of the problem has been more an issue of alchemy than programming.

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt online Gallery
« Reply #302 on: January 06, 2009, 03:26:23 am »
remotely horse-ish horses are possible, wargs as we have them probably not. Yet.
Here's my gallery: http://merlkir.deviantart.com/

I'm now painting and drawing commissions. I'll paint portraits, pets, girlfriends, favourite characters..you name it. Send me a PM if interested ;)

DaBlade

« Reply #303 on: January 06, 2009, 12:23:36 pm »
I've read at the Taleworlds forum Armagan has actually been using Thorgrim's BRFedit for some time. Not sure how accurate that information is though.

Offline FleshyStarfish

• Guildsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: January 07, 2009, 07:48:58 am »
I've read at the Taleworlds forum Armagan has actually been using Thorgrim's BRFedit for some time. Not sure how accurate that information is though.

It would seem that his team is totally done with M&B (at least his version of it).  I don't believe that he will update anything else and so we can probably forget any type of skellie support.  If this were true, how would that affect TLD?

FS
hay wud up guys u shud mak a mod about lyk stuff i dunno wut but it wuld b kool lyk mabe gangstas were u start ur gang n fite mofos huh
http://forums.taleworlds.net/index.php/topic,50345.msg1300951.html#msg130

vadermath

« Reply #305 on: January 07, 2009, 07:58:38 am »
For starters, it would affect the possibility of dwarfs >:(

Offline Ancientwanker

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 07, 2009, 09:54:05 am »
I have no idea.  But TLD is coming out with an expanded northern war either way.  The role of dwarves might now depend on how much thorgrim can do with brfedit.

Offline Ares

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 07, 2009, 05:47:28 pm »
Is Thorgrim still working on it? Last I heard it'd been quiet on that front for a while.

Offline FleshyStarfish

• Guildsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 08, 2009, 06:39:19 am »
I have no idea.  But TLD is coming out with an expanded northern war either way.  The role of dwarves might now depend on how much thorgrim can do with brfedit.

This is straight from Thorgrim as far as anything he's posted: http://forums.taleworlds.net/index.php?action=profile;u=3618;sa=showPosts (last was Oct. 23).  It would seem that he has 2hrs a week or so to update all of his editors (map editor, brf, etc.).

Also, many people are asking about skellie support http://forums.taleworlds.net/index.php/topic,8771.885.html.  Who knows when this stuff will be realized....

FS

P.S. Would it be feasible to first bring out a version of TLD that is ported with the new northern war updates and later add in dwarfs, etc.?
hay wud up guys u shud mak a mod about lyk stuff i dunno wut but it wuld b kool lyk mabe gangstas were u start ur gang n fite mofos huh
http://forums.taleworlds.net/index.php/topic,50345.msg1300951.html#msg130

vadermath

« Reply #309 on: January 08, 2009, 09:01:28 am »
On the bright side, by the time the TLD team gets to adding dwarfs, the skellie editor will probably be out :P

Offline Ancientwanker

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 08, 2009, 09:49:56 am »
Yeah, it could go out without dwarves but there is still a ton of work.  Im not even sweating dwarves yet.

I expect thorgrim will find some interest eventually.   Hard to predict when modding inspiration and available free time line up.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 08, 2009, 10:58:58 am »
He had better ... the whole mod community depends on BRFEdit.  Without it (or more specifically, without it being fully functional for the latest version), we're all, as the expression goes, "up a creek".

I suppose we can get enough function out of it to do basic stuff - but it could get real interesting, trying to build anything beyond the basics without proper support for animation and such.  Something simple could become increasingly complicated.

There are only a few tools that this mod community absolutely cannot function without - but Python, the official module system, and a fully functional BRFEdit are among those tools.  That's just all there is to it.

vadermath

« Reply #312 on: January 08, 2009, 01:38:56 pm »
We waited for the module system, looks like this will require some waiting too. On the bright side (I will not stop until I cheer you guys up >:D), at least some work can be done with the existing tools. Back when there wasn't a module system for 1.xxx, almost nothing could be done, apart from small tweaks.

russlaw

« Reply #313 on: January 13, 2009, 09:40:09 am »
EDIT: December 29th, 2008.

Have recently started some scripting work on the port but Im really busy lately. We are still a few months away.

If you know any good modellers/texturers feel free to send them our way. There is always stuff to do.  We still need voice talent as well. 

Hi Everyone.. I have just discovered the most addctive game ever !! Mount and Blade :-)

I am a british guy, and I have  made an audio tour for sighisoara, Romania - and done the odd voice thing for friends. I am interested in helping out with the vocal work. Please let me know.

I am also Eagerly awaiting TLD for M&B v 1.1 ish..  as I have major problems with direct sound / hardware accelertaion stuff and the game at v .8.x just wont work properly. (v1.x works prefectly.)
this later version just feels nicer too..

so.. keep up the excellent work!! and please contact me.

thx
Russ Law

Offline azile0

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 13, 2009, 11:16:05 am »
Yeah, i hate the knockback in .808, it makes soloing anything impossible. When 1.1 port is released, I can lay waste to vast armies ALONE!! :D *Waits eagerly for the elf revamp*