login

Author Topic: [OLD] Porting FAQ  (Read 537438 times)

Offline The Yogi

• Guildsman
    • View Profile
Re: Offiical TLD to .890 porting thread
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2007, 08:30:21 AM »
Relating to balance, the new archer AI (default line formation, no shuffle) will enpower the elfs. Six or seven low-tier crossbowmen managed to kill about an equal number of River pirates in my ongoing game. I can only imagine what havoc a large party of elven archers will cause. I'm actually drooling at the prospect!

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt online Gallery
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2007, 08:43:10 AM »
I also hope the rohan horse archers and other various skirmishers won't behave as bad as they have been ;)
Here's my gallery: http://merlkir.deviantart.com/

I'm now painting and drawing commissions. I'll paint portraits, pets, girlfriends, favourite characters..you name it. Send me a PM if interested ;)

Offline Daergar

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2007, 09:30:24 AM »
I also hope the rohan horse archers and other various skirmishers won't behave as bad as they have been ;)

From having captured some Khergit horse archer people in my test run through 890, they behaved just as bad as before. Maybe I missed something but they sure galloped toward the enemy regardless of what I told them to do.  :(

But, as stated, foot archers work like a bloody charm now, watching two dozen ranged units just fire volley after volley is pretty neat. Can't wait for elven awesomeness!

cowen70

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2007, 09:53:04 AM »
Its interesting the game balance has completely changed so whether you guys try to restore it or go with the new feel to it, I'm intrigued.

Not to mention what has already been said about the game speed and balance, I personally think it needs a lot of work.  Previously the vanilla game was a perfect match I thought between damage given and taken making a challenging game.  I'm not to pleased with the new version though I may get used to it.

I can't volunteer anything beyond playtesting much as I would love to help, the complete lack of ability or time prevents me.

Offline Elmar Bijlsma

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2007, 02:11:36 PM »
There's a lot in the new version to like. AS pointed out, archers are finally earning their keep. There's one problem for me though. Using a character with max medical skills no-one in my army died anymore. I think I had someone die iin an auto calc, but on the battlefield I've had thousands wounded without dying. That's going to seriously ruin balance.

Beelze

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2007, 08:14:36 PM »
Relating to balance, the new archer AI (default line formation, no shuffle) will enpower the elfs. Six or seven low-tier crossbowmen managed to kill about an equal number of River pirates in my ongoing game. I can only imagine what havoc a large party of elven archers will cause. I'm actually drooling at the prospect!

Archers were pretty deadly before against anything without a shield, since most orcs have a shield, they'll still have the same impediment.

Stemmers?

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2007, 09:13:08 PM »
Archers were pretty deadly before against anything without a shield, since most orcs have a shield, they'll still have the same impediment.

It might just be my overactive imagination, but I got the feeling that archers are actually aiming *below* the shield in the new version. They seem to try and shoot horses too. Can anyone else confirm this?

Offline Zenosknight

• Guildsman
  • Success is measured in blood; yours or the enemys
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2007, 09:18:57 PM »

It might just be my overactive imagination, but I got the feeling that archers are actually aiming *below* the shield in the new version. They seem to try and shoot horses too. Can anyone else confirm this?

I'm not sure if you're talking about TLD or 0.890, but in TLD, i always thought that spearmen and archers were aiming a bit low  :-\
I see people poking each other in unpleasant places and soldiers running around with an extra leg  ???
In 0.890, i don't keep archers, they keep shooting corpeses >.>

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2007, 10:34:42 PM »
Shooting low has always been a glitch in the AI in M&B.  They don't adjust for projectile drop most of the time (at extreme range, maybe).  It does sometimes get the effect of shooting horses or below the shield, but it does not seem to be intentionally targeted that way.

Stemmers?

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2007, 12:24:56 AM »
I know that the AI tended to aim low in previous versions, but in this version I swear I've seen them do it intentionally. I remember one incident in the arena when I was walking toward an archer with my shield up at maybe 10 feet away and suddenly he jerked the aim downward and shot my legs out from under me. Maybe just a fluke, but it definitely left an impression on me (so to speak).

EDIT: Here's testimony from other people who have noticed the same thing:

http://forums.taleworlds.net/index.php/topic,26290.225.html
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 12:50:12 AM by Stemmers? »

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2007, 01:25:54 AM »
Well, that does seem to be new, then.  I wonder if the bug of shooting low at medium ranges was fixed too.

Ollieh

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2007, 05:53:22 AM »
I know that the AI tended to aim low in previous versions, but in this version I swear I've seen them do it intentionally. I remember one incident in the arena when I was walking toward an archer with my shield up at maybe 10 feet away and suddenly he jerked the aim downward and shot my legs out from under me. Maybe just a fluke, but it definitely left an impression on me (so to speak).

EDIT: Here's testimony from other people who have noticed the same thing:

http://forums.taleworlds.net/index.php/topic,26290.225.html
It is true, happened to me too!

Offline Zenosknight

• Guildsman
  • Success is measured in blood; yours or the enemys
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2007, 05:51:20 PM »
So....was it only me that people were poking low too?  :shock:

DaBlade

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2007, 03:35:07 AM »
Yes, in .890 archers will aim for your legs if you have a shield! The archer AI was very much improved. There are still some bugs to iron out though, like shooting dead bodies and archers ignoring all enemies for a while except their choosen target.

rider

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2007, 09:32:24 AM »
Yeah, an absolute certainity that your legs are shot under. I always end up on foot against an archer and they always manage to shoot me..