login

Author Topic: Suggestions and ideas.  (Read 13281 times)

Offline Ahadhran

• Mysterious Old Man
    • View Profile
Suggestions and ideas.
« on: January 14, 2007, 06:43:11 PM »
This is the area where you can give suggestions and ideas for Darkmod. I don't guarantee I will use any of them because I have many long term plans of my own but I will read over all of them and take what I like. I will then list in this post which ideas I have decided to use.

Rules:

No posting of duplicate ideas. Read and see if an idea has been discussed already before posting. If you want to add something to an idea or show support for it that is fine. Redundant posts will be deleted at my discretion.

No flaming or saying how much an idea sucks. If you disagree with an idea say so respectfully and give reasons why (even if the reason is personal preference).

Happy Brainstorming
Ahadhran

Pellidon

Re: Suggestions and ideas.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 09:59:54 AM »
how about a face skin that's a lich/undead-ish, sort of like what they have in the last days, just to make the character more evil-looking if they choose to join the undead faction?

Offline Ahadhran

• Mysterious Old Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 10:26:52 AM »
I plan to do this at some point though I haven't made up my mind between doing something demonic or something deadish. Will definitely depend on what I can whip up in terms of a texture since currently all the artwork is done by me and I still have a bit of learning to do in the texturing department.

calimer

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 11:39:24 PM »
I think it would be interesting to have vampires in there as a class to play as and fight alongside and such.  I have been thinking about working on a vampire mod for M&B but I don't know how hard it would be and if I have the time to dedicate to it.  They would fit in perfectly with darkmod though.  My ideas for vampires would be that they would be fast and strong but mainly fight with their hands.  The good side could use silver swords and wooden weapons to fight them.  Also vampires would have leap attacks and the ability to suck life from corpses and possibly turn them to vampires too.  There is a test vampire mod that I played for 711 that was interesting where after you kill a party of humans you get vials of blood and you use that for food.  There are human settlements too that you can raid which was fun.  A kind of strange thing is that in that mod you had to capture humans as prisoners and then you could bring them to a bartender and he would turn them into vampires for you.  A main problem with the mod is that I didn't see any actual advantages to being a vampire.  The character is just basically a human with grayish skin.  It is interesting for ideas though, might be useful to you too.  Take care.
-calimer

messenger

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 02:43:31 AM »
You realise there is no such thing as a leaping attack, or having only certain weapons that do damage.
I suggest making there be some sort of daemonic forces on the evil side, it would be pretty sweet if the undead weren't the chief baddies.
Also I think more normal looking skeletons would be cool, like on that Hero and Blade mod.

calimer

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 10:41:44 AM »
Messenger, the leap attack shouldn't be too hard to implement.  It would just be increasing the jump height.  It would help if you could carry yourself forward by hitting the forward key if you are hitting the jump button, or if you are already running forward and hit the jump key and move forward through the air.  No such thing as a leaping attack?  How does that really make any sense?  I already do leaping attacks in M&B all the time where I'll jump at an enemy.  As far as certain weapons that do damage, I assume you mean certain weapons that can hurt a vampire and certain weapons that can't.  I'm sure that it could be coded in some way, though I don't think it is really that important.  It is an idea and a suggestion.  It could be made where the silver and wooden weapons just have more effect.  It might be too tough to code in, and not worth the effort but again just an idea and a suggestion.  Take care.
-calimer

Offline Ahadhran

• Mysterious Old Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2007, 11:44:16 AM »
You realise there is no such thing as a leaping attack, or having only certain weapons that do damage.
I suggest making there be some sort of daemonic forces on the evil side, it would be pretty sweet if the undead weren't the chief baddies.
Also I think more normal looking skeletons would be cool, like on that Hero and Blade mod.

I already have cleared it with the maker of hero and blade to use those skeletons, the only issue is that they are very high poly count so many of them on a battlefield means heavy resource drain. I will incorporate them somehow however. Daemonic forces are somewhat planned, all I know for sure is that I will probably have a PC race that is demon like since this makes more sense than allowing the PC to be undead.

Messenger, the leap attack shouldn't be too hard to implement.  It would just be increasing the jump height.  It would help if you could carry yourself forward by hitting the forward key if you are hitting the jump button, or if you are already running forward and hit the jump key and move forward through the air.  No such thing as a leaping attack?  How does that really make any sense?  I already do leaping attacks in M&B all the time where I'll jump at an enemy.  As far as certain weapons that do damage, I assume you mean certain weapons that can hurt a vampire and certain weapons that can't.  I'm sure that it could be coded in some way, though I don't think it is really that important.  It is an idea and a suggestion.  It could be made where the silver and wooden weapons just have more effect.  It might be too tough to code in, and not worth the effort but again just an idea and a suggestion.  Take care.
-calimer

The problem with the leap attack thing is that I could make the jump height higher conceivably (though I don't know how), but if I did, everybody would be able to do it. Hence there would be no difference whether you were a vampire or not. As to weapons that only damage in certain situations, they are not at the present time possible by any way I have heard of. That said if that did become moddable I would certainly include it as a feature for fighting certain bosses if not for something like Vampires.

calimer

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 12:44:24 PM »
Just an idea, but couldn't you use an if statement with the vampires?  I haven't seen the M&B code yet and I'm not much of a coder myself but I know general principles.

This would be in the player code wherever that is.
If the player is a vampire set variable V to 1, if not then default at 0.

If V=1
then
void jump
{
Jump = movement Y + movement X
}
else
{
Jump = movement Y
}

As I said I am not very good at coding and my syntax is probably horrid but hopefully a coder can help me out.  I was just thinking that when the jump code is called it could check for a variable and if that variable = 1 (a vampire) then the jump code includes a leap.  If not = to one then it is just a regular jump.  Just an idea.  Take care.
-calimer

Offline Ahadhran

• Mysterious Old Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 08:13:10 PM »
The issue is that we do not have access to many hardcoded variables with the module system and Jumping and the associated variables  aren't ones we can manipulate like that. I'm pretty sure I'm correct on this because if I wasn't I'm sure others more skilled then me would have exploited it.

Alec{zacool}

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 11:23:08 PM »
Hi Ahadhran and all other Darkmod fans.

Just 2 suggestions. (Not sure if they can be done...)

Well, I thought that maybe some "Special" undead mage or something could send an Aura around all undead units in his vicinity and make their strength strong enough to hurt someone 30 damage no matter what armor they are wearing.

1 (Side suggestion) or maybe a weapon that makes all undead units in the mages vicinity INVINSIBLE for 10 to 30 seconds.

2 Maybe after a while if you are an evil dude, the evil king guy offers you "Eternity" if you say yes, you become an undead. and you can die, but you respawn with all your experiance and stuff. And when you engage an enemy, your health is in the 80s or 100s.

Well, enough typing... hope you like my ideas.  :)

P.S. Ahadhran, Your mod is so cool. When I first downloaded it, I played it non stop...for about 5 days! (Stopping for lunch and bed and showers and stuff of course)

messenger

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 12:46:20 PM »
@calimer: How often do you see the Ai doing leap attacks?

Also here's a crazy thought, perhaps if your character gets killed, maybe you can come back as an undead character.

Merentha

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2007, 02:14:39 AM »
I plan to do this at some point though I haven't made up my mind between doing something demonic or something deadish.
You could, of course, do both.   ;)    I'm sure people around here would be willing to provide helpful hints and critiques, it is the point of the forum, after all.

Jairion

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 04:16:00 AM »
Anoo... Suggestions... umm...

How'bout undead citadels rising from the earth on pretty random occasions? Maybe activated by a quest (Required high level, perhaps?). After vanquishing the horders of defenders, the citadel would collapse in few minutes (giving the player time to loot something, or release prisoners, maybe) Maybe you could add sidequest to that quest, some farmers want their brethren back, and you gotta find them from some citadel nearby.
 Weeell, I don't know how hard that would be to create. I already know that you can create towns, like in Diu..Dia..Something...Dionisia mod, but can you destroy them, I dont know. Ah well.

I'd say more villages. Of course the undead want to add some easy prey to their ranks. (I assume that they can rise people from the dead...) You could kill the villagepeople yourself, and maybe venture in some illusion to bring them back to undead. Or you could defend them as you see one village in a great peril, or activated by a quest.

Don't get angry on me >_>

Offline Lord Of The Sith Lords

• Craftsman
  • Leprechaun turn to the dark side (we have cookies)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2007, 10:05:16 PM »
the idea of vampires isn't a good idea 1.it will need a few animations 2.possibly needs powers 3.i'd say it would wreck the feel for the dark mod
a different mod with vampires would be fine but not really good in this mod :-\

perhaps when you start out you can be human then choose a side and if you have an undead mage or lich in your army or the opposing army and you die then it says you have been reanimated by an undead mage or lich then when you go into a 1st person view of yourself you will look the same but by having an undead mage or lich in the battle you died in really unlocks some more faces in the character view so you can change what you look like to be undead if you want (who said dead bodies decompose straight after death! so you can still look human) notice how i said if they are in the same BATTLE as you so you could also be on the good side for this to happen but it depends if you win the battle or lose if you lose then you will become undead if you win then lets say living mages or wizards resurected you (if in army if not then maybe possibly death and end game?)

then it comes down to what if you were good and got reanimated by undead forces and you don't want to be on their side like if you go to the undead lord and he will say "you have become one of us now join us to rid the world of these flesh bags!" or when you go to the living lord he will say "you have been turned undead get out of my sight now, scum!" (both lords will say this after you turn undead) so now your undead but you don't want to be on the undead lords side so you can just become a outcast (which could be a new faction that can be attacked by both sides but only likes to attack undead sides and runs away from living sides)

if your going to put deamons in then you could put them on the slayers side and if you kill so many it will unlock a deamon face if your character view screen so like you have enough blood to summon the blood deamon (or something like that) which you need a class called deamon summoners to do the ritual ( in the party screen click talk on the deamon summoners and they will ask "what you want" and you say "i have killed enough to summon the deamon within me, summon it now! then it goes into the character screen with only deamon faces.
if you turn to the dark side you get cookies, if you turn to the light side you get brownies, if you are both light and dark you are smart cause you get cookies and brownies, if you don't have the force then your stupid cause you get nothing!

Offline Ahadhran

• Mysterious Old Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2007, 12:02:38 AM »
Hmm, I very much like the outcast idea, as well as the daemon thing too. Only problem is that I don't know that there is any way to create limitations on face selections... If I can figure out a way I think I would definitely include that. If I can't I might have the character have the possibility of becoming tainted or some other thing that might not be represented visually. 

messenger

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2007, 06:56:37 AM »
Do you think it would be possible to completely re-do the Vaegirs and Swadians and replace them with new factions? I think that would be pretty neat.

Offline Ahadhran

• Mysterious Old Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2007, 08:50:03 AM »
when I get more time to work on this, I plan on replacing those factions. Work is slow however, so the next release will likely not have that implemented yet.

Offline Lord Of The Sith Lords

• Craftsman
  • Leprechaun turn to the dark side (we have cookies)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2007, 07:24:35 AM »
Only problem is that I don't know that there is any way to create limitations on face selections... If I can figure out a way I think I would definitely include that. If I can't I might have the character have the possibility of becoming tainted or some other thing that might not be represented visually. 

you could ask high elf warrior on taleworlds (remember he got banned) as he did it with factions with orks, trolls, elves and humans but setting limitations mid game might prove to be difficult ???
if you turn to the dark side you get cookies, if you turn to the light side you get brownies, if you are both light and dark you are smart cause you get cookies and brownies, if you don't have the force then your stupid cause you get nothing!

Offline Ahadhran

• Mysterious Old Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2007, 09:39:11 AM »
yeah its the mid-game limitations that are very problematic. I sort of wish Armagan had more functions that allowed the disabling of various things for the player but oh well.

Offline Ahadhran

• Mysterious Old Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2007, 09:11:49 PM »
A little update on the state of this mod...

I am purging most of native so the next version will be much different.
1.There will be a new map.
2. The undead/human conflict will be more central.
3. There will be some kind of implementation of being able to play an undead/demonic/or otherwise non human race from the start.
4. If you start as human and join the undead faction, you will become tainted and your appearance will be likewise altered.
5. The Rangers will be more of a full fledged faction with large troop upgrade tree.
6. Much more stuff I haven't entirely decided on.

Quail

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2007, 10:26:47 PM »
sounds good...Looking forward to even more.

Knightmaster

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2007, 11:45:06 AM »
I dunno but could there be Ghosts it would be cool if some old battlefield that you enter is full of ghost or some ruined

castle or village.

What about siege towns, castles, villages or defenting them of bad guys

Offline Ahadhran

• Mysterious Old Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2007, 02:09:57 PM »
At some point I would like to have ghosts a part of Darkmod, I'm just not sure how yet.

I intend to create an outpost system, where as a part of quests you can establish outposts and "fortify" them. The enemy will also create outposts. All outposts can be destroyed or damaged. However I'm not even going to try to do sieges until its clearer as to whats supported in native. So Everything will be decided either in a script simulation (where you have some control over the variables) or on the normal random encounter maps.

Random encounter maps now function differently, the size of the map you fight on is decided by a script that compares your spotting, tactics, and army size to that of the party you are fighting. The script outputs a number that is either negative (you are at a disadvantage) or positive (you are at an advantage). If you are at an advantage, you have some choice as to how big of a map you want to fight on with more options when you have a larger advantage. If you are at a disadvantage the map you fight on depends on how high your disadvantage is. The more of a disadvantage you have, the more unfavorable the map will be (the smaller it will be). In between battles with the same party the script is checked again, so as you kill off the enemy parties numbers, you will gain an advantage and may even have more choices for the next battle.

Knightmaster

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2007, 06:12:49 PM »
Another idea what about some templar guardian faction the experts of killing undeads and some priest troops also

and will the slayers be major faction or no will there be dark knights?

larger parties would be great also vaegirs and swadians will the be allies or enemies?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 08:49:11 PM by Knightmaster »

Quail

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2007, 10:51:07 PM »
I have an idea for a quest that can make the game a little more personal.

PM me Ahadhran if you are interested.

(On a side note, thank you for liking my slotted sword idea.)