Author Topic: Current status as of September 5th '07...  (Read 9785 times)

Offline ex_ottoyuhr

• View Profile
Current status as of September 5th '07...
« on: September 05, 2007, 08:45:36 PM »
I have the mod in a near-releasable state, but not much has changed since last time -- a new set of weaponry and something close to the Realistic Combat Model, but not much else. The siege system is a long way from finished, though I've proof-of-concepted it successfully.

But I also need to pin down what I want to do with the story, the style of gameplay, and so on, and I really need to flesh out more of the setting. That'll do a lot to get me more NPCs, though; and some of the other recent releases have suggested some things for me. TLD's use of quest messages to display variables is worth remembering, and playing the awe-inspiring Battle for Sicily has reminded me that if I focus too much on the strategic elements of ASLOW, I'll get into territory where I'm pretty much outclassed... ;)

Anyhow, next release coming pretty soon. I'll try for a couple of days from now at the latest -- although it'll be more a matter of getting myself back into the habit. There should be more to come after that...

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
Re: Current status as of September 5th '07...
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 03:32:00 AM »
... and something close to the Realistic Combat Model...

Now that's hardly fair. ::)  It's some of my best work ... well balanced, carefully planned.  I'm expecting it to be a lot more playable than the first-round RCM dev version of HW (that had to be reworked a dozen times to get it right).  Probably better than the RCM package for TLD, that even after a lot of hours by my beta-test team, was still buggy when I sent it to AW for inclusion in TLD 2.3.2 (which may never get released, at this rate). 

ASLOW will have a brilliant rendition of the Realistic Combat Model ... a very carefully planned version that was not easy to create within the culture confines of the various groups in ASLOW.  I consider it to be quite an accomplishment, really.

RCM fans will not be disappointed.  That I promise.

Offline Winter

• I am Tek Jansen!
  • Administrator
  • MBX Forum owner
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 07:35:52 AM »
Good to see this mod is still moving forward. Remember, if you need any help, just post on Discussion and I'll do my best to sort it out.

Offline ex_ottoyuhr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 06:28:36 PM »
Ron, I take it we need to talk further about this -- I'll send you an e-mail privately on where I currently am with regards to the RCM, item sets, and so on...

But, yes, things are still moving. What I need help with more than anything is working out the setting, which has been moving very slowly -- though it's obviously going to be pretty fundamental to the game...

Offline ex_ottoyuhr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 04:06:21 PM »
Status update: I need to find the authors of Europa Universalis III and either kill them or give them a medal. Maybe both. I did a little less on this mod this week than I should have -- although most of what I'm stuck on right now is figuring out what the bleep to rename the kingdom currently known as Sivas. I'm leaning towards Kentucky. ;)

Sunhawken

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 03:15:53 PM »
Thanks for the status update now i don't have to worry.

buminabox

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 08:56:31 PM »
So I guess this one is discontinued?

emperor77

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 10:08:52 AM »
Why do you guess that?

Offline Dryvus

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 02:31:55 PM »
Sure hope it isn't. It's a great mod.

Servitor

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2007, 06:43:41 AM »
We know for sure that ex hasn't been posting here for quite some time. Don't know the reason... but it doesn't seem like he is quite active. He isn't getting all that much of support!  ::)

Riptokus

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2007, 06:54:54 PM »
I've been eagerly awaiting any kind of update, so I hope it isn't dead.

Servitor

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 11:28:47 AM »
Huge morale support from little numbers.

God what do I want this one to be completed...  :-\ I am sending him a pm. Not quite the thing I usually do, but I am getting worried now! +/- 35 days since he posted!  Maybe he's dead?  ???

Offline ex_ottoyuhr

• View Profile
Re: Current status as of... ah... November 24th...
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2007, 10:35:13 AM »
Neither dead, nor disinterested -- just sidetracked. Really sidetracked. This is, of course, a direct consequence of that strange job I've mentioned so often -- I left it at the beginning of August, having finally had enough, and managed to get everything packed and move back home (no sense paying rent -- a large amount of rent -- while unemployed and in the wrong state), but only a couple of months later.

At present I'm without a computer that can run M&B .89x; my development computer is in storage in Madison, Wisconsin, and I'm in the Nashville area of Tennessee (apologies to fans from most of the world for the intra-United States directions). I've got a very interesting set of job prospects, though -- it turns out that consulting for hospitals installing this company's software will pay much, much better than working for the company itself did. So I may be relocating to the new-game-company-friendly environs of Portland, Oregon soon, but "soon" means "at the end of the year" or later -- no one hires during early December, I think.

I'm trying to spend the time productively, though. I've gotten somewhere in developing "Honseli Latin," we might call it -- the acrolect (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrolect) form of the Peija language. It's a literary language not actually spoken much of anywhere, of course, but I'm going to use it to represent the spoken languages of the mod (and, knock on wood, other Honseli cultures -- I hope this isn't the last we see of them). I just completed the grammar yesterday, and will be moving on to developing words and sample texts. This is not a project directly apropos to ASLOW, but it only has to be done once, and once done it's sure to help me enormously with naming -- no more Turkish cities or heroes with Serbian names, at long last.

I find myself wondering at times what I'm doing developing ASLOW's setting at all when there are so many other, more important time periods in this continuity that I haven't much more than sketched out -- but part of what I'm doing with it is providing the world a proof of concept. That's important...

But I do hope to find more support when my next round of development begins than I did during the previous one. Maybe if I release more often... I look forward to working with the new system, though -- probably its code for some of what I'm doing will be cleaner than my version, and it'll spur me to finally include villages like I've intended to since very early on in ASLOW's development.

But naming 50+ villages and ensuring that their names don't duplicate too often -- and don't duplicate elsewhere in the setting! -- is going to be a tall order indeed. There are two ways to world-build -- the easy way, which produces vague, bad, or embarassing results, as it did even for Tolkien; and the right way, which is, well, a little long. :)

But in general -- I don't die, I don't lose interest, I just go into hibernation for very long periods of time. :)

Riptokus

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2007, 08:48:14 PM »
You have my full and total support, as well as my complete enthusiasm. I am eager not only for the game, but more backstory, though you'll have to forgive my little strange timelines and things that aren't right as I try to puzzle them out. Heck, they can even help you see problems sometimes :)

Servitor

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2007, 12:14:25 AM »
The idea is great!  :o Good Luck.