login

Author Topic: Blender - Open Source Graphics 3D Creation  (Read 20623 times)

Offline Hellequin

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Blender - Open Source Graphics 3D Creation
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2007, 11:10:42 AM »
In case anyone interested in using Blender had missed this, I believe that both my human and my horse scripts fail to import the skeletons properly and thus can't do rigging.  Before picking them up again, I decided to see if anything had changed on the publically available front, and I was pleasantly surprised to find:

On the Blender forums, just a week ago, someone posted an SMD importer for Blender 2.44 and above.  Little commentary thus far because it's so recent, but it sounds solid - down to prompting you to make sure the texture graphics mentioned in the SMD file are all present (it needs them in the same dir as the SMD file), that sort of thing.  Turns the SMD rigs into vertex groups (the good way to rig in Blender).

And over on the ModDB forums, the long-seemingly-abandoned SMD exporter which I used as the basis for my own script seems to have been revived just a month ago.  He now claims to have it working through functionality like exporting animations (scabbards, anyone?).

I have not tested either.  But if this is the case, then the promise of full (and easy) Blender support may finally be here! Yay!

Scion

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2007, 03:19:57 AM »
Hurray that's good news! Tried the new version(s)? Noticed any new features that might be handy for modding M&B?

Offline fujiwara

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2007, 12:10:14 PM »
This is great! Breaking the stranglehold gmax and millkshape have on armor rigging is definitely a Good Thing (TM).

The horses tend to get their legs caught in the catapult rather than being properly launched.

Albino

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2007, 03:25:37 PM »
Anyone notice that a new version of blender has been released?

rosejay0918

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2009, 11:09:39 PM »
We think for the knew zero BlenderPython scripting, and precious little basic Python, before beginning it starting from a busted and non-functional importer from 3D2Toy.com.It was cool.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 08:19:57 AM by rosejay0918 »