login

Author Topic: Dark Ages of Calradia ( Dead )  (Read 45252 times)

Offline Hellequin

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Ages of Calradia
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2007, 01:17:50 PM »
Just as a suggestion - I think you're throwing away tons and tons of possible flavour, in looking for too much consistency.

Think faction styles here, military structures, etc.  For example's sake I'll make up a fictional faction, the "Koontzian Meritocracy" with forward-thinking and progressive ideals.  These guys have a very different troop structure, because they believe in lots of upward mobility.  So the lowliest Koontzian unit can, eventually, be upgraded to the highest one.  It'll just take a long time.  What's more, they have a verbose and florid manner of speech, so their unit names are distinctive and idiosyncratic, from Procrator to Warden of Serenity Vale (an honorary title with regards to a long-ago battle), to Knight of the Garter.  Whereas their foes, the Lazarene Oligarchs, have a very rigid class structure and a formal, crisp diction.  So no unit ever upgrades more than two steps beyond where it started, unit names are drab and descriptive, and the progression is always "____ Tertius", "____ Secundus", "_____ Prime".

There's huge amounts of possible style here; you made a start on that with the original concept for the mod, and I'm suggesting you go further in that direction, rather than further in the other.  Increases replay value, too, as you're curious to find out how it'll play out with the very different troop trees - not just unit stats, but the tree's very structure.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." - Emerson

- Hellequin

messenger

« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2007, 06:40:37 AM »
Thats a good post. Perhaps a poll is in order?

Offline Forral

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2007, 07:02:21 AM »
Nah, it's all that voting that's the biggest flaw in democracy - Makes bad ideas win simply because most people don't know what they are supposed to think.. It's probably better to just keep discussing untill everyone agrees.

I'm with Hellequin though. It's a really good idea, especially considering the difference between the factions.

-Forral-

messenger

« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2007, 11:09:55 AM »
So what unit names could there be for each faction?
Youngbloods, Tribesmen and Warriors could be one line for a more barbaric faction.

Scion

« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2007, 04:19:07 AM »
Just as a suggestion - I think you're throwing away tons and tons of possible flavour, in looking for too much consistency.

Think faction styles here, military structures, etc.  For example's sake I'll make up a fictional faction, the "Koontzian Meritocracy" with forward-thinking and progressive ideals.  These guys have a very different troop structure, because they believe in lots of upward mobility.  So the lowliest Koontzian unit can, eventually, be upgraded to the highest one.  It'll just take a long time.  What's more, they have a verbose and florid manner of speech, so their unit names are distinctive and idiosyncratic, from Procrator to Warden of Serenity Vale (an honorary title with regards to a long-ago battle), to Knight of the Garter.  Whereas their foes, the Lazarene Oligarchs, have a very rigid class structure and a formal, crisp diction.  So no unit ever upgrades more than two steps beyond where it started, unit names are drab and descriptive, and the progression is always "____ Tertius", "____ Secundus", "_____ Prime".

There's huge amounts of possible style here; you made a start on that with the original concept for the mod, and I'm suggesting you go further in that direction, rather than further in the other.  Increases replay value, too, as you're curious to find out how it'll play out with the very different troop trees - not just unit stats, but the tree's very structure.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." - Emerson

- Hellequin

Offline Winter

• I am Tek Jansen!
  • Administrator
  • MBX Forum owner
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2007, 11:16:34 AM »
Serenity Vale (an honorary title with regards to a long-ago battle)

It's Serenity Valley, you heathen. ;)

'Versely,
Winter

messenger

« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2007, 12:07:14 PM »
The Virtous could have the Charitables, Forgivers and Samaritons as their most elite units :P.

Scion

« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2007, 03:04:11 PM »
I started playing, then building... then I had my doubts whether I should continue or not  :P

Scion

« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2007, 09:12:54 PM »
I made the Taleworlds thread the day after a hard night out, I had thought the whole thing very little through, I pretty much started with the title (which was first supposed to be "Veluca"), an plan to have a brothel in the game, and a couple of faction ideas. I guess it`s not going down as fast as it started, but I have realized, no matter how much I like working on (most of) it, it won`t get finished. Yep that`s how tinish* I am, not even willing to release a 0.1a with just new graphics and take it from there, even recruit some people. In fact, the whole mod is a little similar to the castle above: it`s quite massive and everything, but one very important ingredient is missing: about 80%. I simply don`t see the point because it won`t get finished, so then I will probably donate the graphics away, make a pack or two maybe and along that line.

I want to release something, what`s the point if not, so then of course somebody else must do most of the work, and therefore I am going to start out helping Winter with graphics for StoryMod.

So thank you all and goodnight  8)

* indicating a lack of maturity