login

Author Topic: Dark Ages of Calradia ( Dead )  (Read 44983 times)

Yoshiboy

Re: Dark Ages of Calradia
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2007, 03:28:08 AM »
Looks great! I might have to steal some of these ideas for Pirates! :P

Scion

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2007, 04:02:20 AM »
Rrrrrrrreally? Well, okay  Just don`t do it too good :P

Offline Forral

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2007, 09:10:55 AM »
I like the farmlands as seen in the new screenshot, but I wonder how they would turn out on the battlemap - if you plan them to be different at all.

Also, since my memory has kind of failed me, I'm going to have to again inquire about your thoughts to the troops.

I notice that you've separated them into ranks of Elite, Regular and Low quality. It could possibly mean that you have troops upgrade for example from "Millitiaman"->"Swordsman"->"Brother Footknight". It could also mean something I'd actually prefer seeing, that your peasants, millitiamen, and bowmen are bound to remain low quality units even within a couple of upgrades. On the other hand, your "Sacred Executioner" would start out strong to begin with - probably in high level, and be capable of getting even stronger as he gains experience.

I'll make a simple example model:

Level 1    -    Level 2    -  Level 3 -  Level 4   -    Level 5   -  Level 6 - Level 7
Millitiaman  (Experienced)  (Veteran)  (Elite)
                                                  Executioner (Experienced) (Veteran) (Elite)

The levels as seen in my model here are not actual in-game levels but could be translated x4 or the like. They merely reflect upgrade rank. So the millitiaman you recruited in the tavern would be able to upgrade three times, and get slightly better armor and weapons, perhaps as much as some light chainmail, a decent spear and shield. Your Brother Knight, would similarly be able to upgrade thrice, however both starting and finishing in a greater level than your millitiamen.

Of course, using such a model, you'd have to make a system for unit recruitment outside of the taverns, since it would otherwise be horribly unbalanced. Something similar to the recruitment found in The Last Days might be appropriate here. In that module you could spend "influence" gained with your faction on recruiting experienced units from the various castles. Might be something to consider.

-Forral-
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 09:13:04 AM by Forral »

Scion

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2007, 09:49:06 AM »
I had in mind not letting peasants get much stronger than within their own range. Your suggestion for leveling is very good, something I will go for.

So the idea is then that, say, a peasant can never become a knight. In fact I could like the idea to have troop trees like

Peasant -> Trained Peasant -> Watchman
              -> Peasant Archer   -> Bowman

Knights and elite troops would typically get titles instead of changing
[A more general word for Knight] -> Knight of Suno -> Champion of Suno

In general this is the same as you proposed. Same is an alternative troop tree that could be like
Peasant Level 1-> Peasant Level 2 -> Peasant Level 3
Kinght of Suno Level 1-> Kinght of Suno Level 2 -> Kinght of Suno Level 3
Champion of Suno Level 1-> Champion of Suno Level 2 -> Champion of Suno Level 3

Both could be a better way of portraying experience rather than troop type morphing. Second alternative would barely show differences in gear, because it is supposed to be the same troop but just more experienced.

Of course, using such a model, you'd have to make a system for unit recruitment outside of the taverns, since it would otherwise be horribly unbalanced. Something similar to the recruitment found in The Last Days might be appropriate here. In that module you could spend "influence" gained with your faction on recruiting experienced units from the various castles. Might be something to consider.
Yes, tavern recruitment has not been in the plans ever, if only for bandits and lawless people. You`ll get peasants to join you by speaking to them (not one by one, but for example a group of peasants). Soliders join you when taking to their leader or responsible. Similarly, rescuing people from defeat might make them want to join you. You should be able to *make them join you, with harsh persuasion.

I am not a too big fan of TLD system, the system should and will be more realistic or natural. Where TLD system is in the plans though, when you have a certain rank and authority. They won`t cost money though, but the consequences of wasting them might be elsewhere.

I like the farmlands as seen in the new screenshot, but I wonder how they would turn out on the battlemap - if you plan them to be different at all.
Well the texture can be whatever, and I think I will have a slight difference. Allthough the texture is used to describe corn fields and civilization in general, this is impossible to achieve in a satisfying way on the battlemap. It will probably be like grassland with a twist for now, and possibly be upgraded if armagan adds support for spawning in random scenes.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 10:08:02 AM by Scion »

messenger

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2007, 12:23:25 PM »
As long as they have cool names like Bladesmen, Swordsmen and then Man at Arms for instance, it should work out well.

Pellidon

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2007, 01:29:00 PM »
I`m not sure, but general differences lies in how they wage war, and their troop types. All weapons have higher damage, and armor have higher defense stats.

Typical elite cavalry or close combat troops have for factions:
Radoghirs - fast horses, excellent physics, almost no armor
Swadians - heavily armored, lances, good physics
Calradians - well armored, more close combat weapons, good physics
Velucans - Foot soliders, well armored, good physics
People of Suno, Uxhal - Heavily armored, good weapons, average physics
Sarnath - same, but good physics
Khudans - Foot soliders, some armor, strong and agile.

So Khudans and Radoghirs would be very similar, but have different fighting styles: Khudans are footmen, radoghirs are horsemen.
i know this is a somewhat old post, but what do you mean by physics?

Offline Ursca

• Deus Vult Dev
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2007, 01:34:28 PM »
He probably means physical fitness. High agility, athletics, that kind of stuff.

rmancrusader

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2007, 06:32:01 PM »
hey would u like a couple of swords? i am fairly new to wings 3d but iv become very skilled in making swords. im still improving on texturing but in a litttle bit ill show u whut im talkin about.

Offline Forral

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2007, 01:51:06 AM »
I wonder, have you tried playing battles on the new world map? What I'm really wondering is how the terrain turns out, near the mountain passes while in battles. While it looks great on the map, I'm concerned that the battlemaps will turn into a mishmash of labyrinth-like of spiking hills and deep craters.

I never was perfectly certain on how the random battle terrain is generated, but it does seem to be far more hilly the closer you are to mountains. I could never quite determine if it was due to the painted terrain, or the altitude shifts between the vertexes though. All the same, if you haven't tried battling there - you should.

-Forral-

Scion

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2007, 02:47:52 AM »
He probably means physical fitness. High agility, athletics, that kind of stuff.
That is right.

hey would u like a couple of swords? i am fairly new to wings 3d but iv become very skilled in making swords. im still improving on texturing but in a litttle bit ill show u whut im talkin about.
Yes, sounds interresting. I have a couple of hundred weapons already from luigis pack, so I`m not sure what kind of weapons I need though - I have problems already to browse through the current ones. Would be cool if you had some cool different weapons th
ough  :)

I wonder, have you tried playing battles on the new world map? What I'm really wondering is how the terrain turns out, near the mountain passes while in battles. While it looks great on the map, I'm concerned that the battlemaps will turn into a mishmash of labyrinth-like of spiking hills and deep craters.

I never was perfectly certain on how the random battle terrain is generated, but it does seem to be far more hilly the closer you are to mountains. I could never quite determine if it was due to the painted terrain, or the altitude shifts between the vertexes though. All the same, if you haven't tried battling there - you should.

-Forral-
Good point, but I think the terrible terrain generation was changed in 0.800, reducing the amount of hills (or was it just rivers that was reduced). I have not tried it suficciantly, something I should do as you say. A lot of the hilly areas are not travelable though, for example in the khudan valley you can`t just walk over the mountains, but you have to take a certain route. To  travel from for example Khuda to Dale you must travel between the two largest peaks.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 02:53:11 AM by Scion »

messenger

« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2007, 10:21:37 AM »
I hated those wierd bumpy maps of ages past. The new ones seem better.

Scion

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2007, 10:41:39 AM »
I tested the battlemap, and I can confirm that even the most brutal slope on the campaignmap gives totally acceptable battlemaps. The random map hills was tuned down quite a lot in 0.800.

messenger

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2007, 10:57:46 AM »
Sounds better, it was quite funny though in .751 when I was in a forest with massive amounts of hills and stuff so most of the people could barely move.

Yoshiboy

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2007, 11:40:22 AM »
The hills are due to a nearness to a mountain tile, not the physical height of the terrain.

Scion

« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2007, 12:05:06 PM »
Thanks. That`s scary, I have pretty large tiles. But I think I was quite close to mountain tiles when I tested. Will double check though.