Author Topic: DAZ 3D  (Read 4782 times)

Uren

DAZ 3D
« on: July 31, 2007, 10:50:08 PM »
Hi Everyone, first post for me.

Has anyone used Daz 3D in their M&B modding?  I'd like to know how it compares to the other software people have been using.

Yoshiboy

Re: DAZ 3D
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 05:06:08 AM »
Can't say I've ever heard of it.

Scion

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 12:12:46 PM »
I think that is the company that have made Bryce3D. (http://www.daz3d.com)

I doubt any of their programs would be suited for modding, at least compared with the free tools out there. But I have only tried Bryce though.

Uren

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 12:24:51 PM »
It's free.  It bills itself as software for modifying 3d objects, posing and animating, and it claims it can export to other more popular programs.

http://www.daz3d.com/i.x/software/studio/-/features?

I've been reading about the difficulties people have been having with 3ds max and gmax, especially with the rigging.  As someone new to modding, I want to get some friendly tools.   Wings 3D looks pretty popular and I've been doing a few Blender tutorials (thanks Scion for your post about Blender laying out the necessary links).  I guess I'll check out Daz when I advance to the point of needing it, and post if it has anything useful for the community.

Offline fujiwara

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 12:47:38 PM »
FWIW, I did a quick scan through the Daz3D user manual, and it seems more suited to the manipulation of pre-made objects, not the creation of new ones. The tutorial given was geared to the animation and posing of a pre-built figure. It seems more of an animation studio than a modeling package.

The horses tend to get their legs caught in the catapult rather than being properly launched.

Offline Ahadhran

• Mysterious Old Man
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 12:53:14 PM »
FWIW, I did a quick scan through the Daz3D user manual, and it seems more suited to the manipulation of pre-made objects, not the creation of new ones. The tutorial given was geared to the animation and posing of a pre-built figure. It seems more of an animation studio than a modeling package.

That was the same impression I got when I looked over it.

Scion

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 01:11:54 PM »
Isn't Daz3D the company, and Daz Studio the program we are talking about here?

Anyway, it's not possible if it doesn't have the right exporters and importers, or alternatively being scriptable. If it has/is, maybe it's the perfect animation tool?  :P

Offline Hellequin

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 10:59:59 AM »
A friend of mine is fond of it for doing illustrations of scenes from his tabletop RPG sessions.  I asked him about it at one point.

The program is free, but there's basically no way to make the actual models yourself - you have to buy each little one, whether by itself or as part of a package deal.  They're individually cheap, but he seems to spend a fair bit on it in the aggregate.  DAZ studio just scales, places, morphs, etc. the bought models.

The models are extremely high-poly.  Like, thousands.  They're not intended for animation, even - maybe rendered animation, but not realtime animations, ever.

The rights to use them in anything are extremely questionable, if not outright forbidden.

Basically - don't bother.  It's the wrong tool.