Author Topic: Hero & Blade 808 Z!  (Read 28971 times)

Offline Cartread

• View Profile
Hero & Blade 808 Z!
« on: July 25, 2007, 05:13:30 AM »
Hero Quest + Mount&Blade = Hero & Blade

Hero & Blade 808 Z:

*Choose between the Human and the Elf

Human: "A human from a barbarian tribe.  Your weapon upgrades as you gain levels (by defeating enemies and quests), but you have no magical abilities (Starting Stats: STR:14, AGI:12, INT:4, CHA:4, Weapon proficiencies: 100-130, & level 2 Ironflesh, Power-strike, Atheletics, and Weapon Master).",

Elf: "An elven warrior-mage.  Your magic upgrades through INT and skill points, but your weapons do not upgrade on leveling up (Starting Stats: STR:10, AGI:10, INT:10, CHA:4, Weapon proficiencies: 100-130, & level 2 Weapon Master).",

*Human's Weapon Upgrades

Human: "Upon talking to Mentor, you will select your primary weapon (To increase the power, speed and reach of this weapon, ask Mentor to 'Evaluate your skill.') and then choose your secondary weapon: a shield or ranged.  Your weapon proficiency will upgrade accordingly with your weapon of choice."

*Ron Losey's Realistic Combat Model for Native is used for all of Native's items.

*The Primary Weapon you choose is the native version, and the enhanced versions are below.

*Elf's Magic Skills

Elf: "Upon talking to Mentor, you will select your primary weapon and then choose your secondary weapon: a shield or ranged.  Your weapon proficiency will upgrade accordingly with your weapon of choice; furthermore, receive your magic by asking Mentor to 'Evaluate your skill.'"

*New Magic Skills replace unused skills from Native (such as Riding and Tracking)

Mana: The Power which fuels Magic.  Allows you to recast spells.

Fire Spells: The destructive power of fire.  Spells learned at level 3:Fire of Wrath, 5:Courage, 7:Fireball.
-Fire of Wrath takes a moment of concentration before it is unleashed, but can be used an unlimited amount of times.  It is reasonably powerful.
-Courage enhances your fighting ability (power-strike, draw and throw) to its upmost level.  Its rage-like effects only wear off when there are no enemies left alive.
-Fire Ball on the other hand, is incredibly powerful: able to fell any foe if it hits solidly.  Like healing it can be replenished with mana.

Earth Spells: The strength of the earth.  Spells learned at level 3:Rock skin, 5:Heal Body.
-The Rock Skin spell raises your ironflesh to its maximum level, reducing the damage dealt from enemies for half a minute.
-Heal Body is the greatest healing magic, restoring all your health.

Water Spells: The manipulative properties of water.  Spells learned at level 3:Water of Healing, 5:Weightless Weapon, 7:Excalibur.
-Water of Healing is a minor healing spell which recovers half your health.
-The Weightless Weapons spell almost makes weapons float (weapon proficiencies max), allowing you to attack quickly for one quarter of a minute.
-Excalibur summons this great weapon for use during quests.

Air Spells: The mysterious ability of the air.  Spells learned at level 3:Swift Wind, 5:Forcewind, 7:Genie.
-Swift Wind increases your running speed for one quarter of a minute.
-Forcewind is not used to deal damage, but to hinder.  It can be shot repeatedly to immobilize an enemy.
-Having enough skill in Air Spells will allow a Genie to accompany you on your quests.

*There are potions which can be used by both the Human and the Elf, are found during quests, and have the same effects as the Courage, Rock Skin, Weightless Weapons, Swift Wind, Water of Healing, & Heal Body spells.

*Quest 3
"Prince Magnus has ordered that the Orc Warlord, Ulag, who was responsible for the imprisonment of Sir Ragnar, be sought out and destroyed.  After Ulag is destroyed, return through the spiral staircase for your reward of 180 gold coins."

*Quest 4
"A treasure chest has been stolen while being taken to the Emperor.  A reward of 240 gold coins has been offered to any Hero who returns with the chest and its contents.  The thieves are a well-known band of Orcs whose lair is in the Black Mountains.  They are led by Gulthor, a Chaos Warrior."

*Spear and Pit Traps

Detect Spear Traps by seeing their tips out of a wall:

Detect Pit Traps by hearing a creaking noise if you are close:

*To climb out a pit, hold down UP for a moment.

*Miscellaneous

-Monsters are once again variable!
-All of Native's armors have been split between the Human and Elf and are available to buy.
-Defeating a room of monsters gives you experience, so you don't necessarily have to beat a quest in one shot.
-Most rooms have up-right caskets which can be attacked open, with good or bad results (replaces Tab system).

*Thanks in modding

-As always, to armagan and TaleWorlds for making M&B and it's modability
-Thorgrim for making M&B easier to mod!
-Janus for the Repository
-Winter for especially helpful comments around the boards (oh, so that's how you move sceneprops...)
-Yoshiboy for helpful module systems (I check RPGmod & Pirates! to make sure I use operations correctly)
-Ron Losey for RCM

*Download

Hero & Blade 808 Z on M&B repository
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 12:00:27 PM by Cartread »

Sunhawken

Re: Hero & Blade 808 Z!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 07:00:48 AM »
No more wizard? Other then that i think you converted M&B to D&D :) What does the Z stand for?

Highlander

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 07:09:47 AM »
Great.

Apollon-04

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 09:06:54 AM »
Nice, Downloading right now.

Oh and Sunhawken, Im guessing he did Z since this will be the last Hero&Blade before the next version. It is called Hero & Blade 808 Z

Quail

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 12:37:33 AM »
No more wizard? Other then that i think you converted M&B to D&D :) What does the Z stand for?

Actualy he converted M&B to Warhammer

Offline Cartread

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 09:27:56 PM »
Hero Quest is a branch off of the Warhammer universe, I believe. ;)

Yes, Z = last version for 808.

Servitor

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 02:59:40 AM »
Heh, Cartread, I have a traditional grudge against the first Hero Wars, since it was a freaking boardgame that prevented the game RuneQuest to get the name Hero Wars.

The current Hero Quest is about Gloranta. A freaking huge world made by Greg Stafford. (Nice guy, Greg) I go to the 'Tentacles Convention' every year. Which is in germany, He and his helpers are there. He also made a game called 'Pendragon'.

All these games are tabletop role playing games.  :o

Back on topic, this rox?  :o

Offline Cartread

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 11:54:50 AM »
I don't know much about the origins or Hero Quest...I do like the tabletop game, though...er...obviously.

Back on topic, this rox?  :o

Sure it rox!

Offline Grocat

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 05:40:55 PM »
I just got back from a rather longish vacation in which computers were not available...this is the best news to arrive home to.  Thanks for this and everything along the way.

-Grocat

Drifter

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 12:40:44 AM »
Just downloaded. Can't wait to try out the new stuff. This is easily one of my favorite mods available.
I'll be sure to post my comments after getting into it.  :)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 01:15:27 AM by Drifter »

Offline Cartread

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 03:56:20 AM »
I just got back from a rather longish vacation in which computers were not available...this is the best news to arrive home to.  Thanks for this and everything along the way.

-Grocat

Sure thing, buddy  :)

Thanks Drifter

Offline Fisheye

• Blues Brother
  • Guildsman
  • My scalp's so bright, I gotta wear shades.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 07:57:33 PM »
OMG YOU IS RUN OUT OF VERSHUN LETTERS!

Great stuff!  :D

Cymro

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2007, 08:05:55 AM »
Very, very nice. It's an improvement even from the last version :D

One comment/question: Will quest 1 + 2 ever be put back into hero&blade?

Offline Cartread

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2007, 12:11:04 PM »
Thanks Fisheye, Cymro.

Cymro: do you want them back in?  I just figured we'd rather not play those two again, but they can resurface for sure.  What's your take on the Elf and his magic by the way (if you used him)?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 12:17:55 PM by Cartread »

Cymro

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2007, 02:26:55 AM »
It would be good if they were back in, as it would then feel more like a full mod, rather than a small slice of it. Not to mention that it's hard to get money without doing many missions ;)

The new take on magic was an ingenious invention. I now especially like the fact that you can access your inventory in battle, thus making the magic user very formidable in battle.

Offline Cartread

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2007, 11:41:00 AM »
Good points, thank you.

Alec{zacool}

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2007, 07:05:21 AM »
I have an idea Cartread, put the first 2 quests back in, but have it maybe that the thief and wizard die or something like that.

Just a thought,

Alec

Cymro

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2007, 09:10:41 AM »
2 questions:

1)How long does it take to make a whole new quest?

and

2) How long would it take to "reformat" the first 2 quests into the 3/4 single player style?

Offline Cartread

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2007, 11:36:47 AM »
I don't know about that Alec :-\ The thief and wizard characters don't need to be present.  M&B isn't very magical so the elf is a good balance, but the wizard would be too much.

1)How long does it take to make a whole new quest?

2) How long would it take to "reformat" the first 2 quests into the 3/4 single player style?

I don't track the time, but I can estimate.
Considering I'm always testing new features (magic, upgrade system, etc.) as I'm implementing levels and testing them, it's hard to judge.
...let's see there's level layout, item modeling and texturing in Wings, into BRFEdit, into module system, checking graphic errors, putting in props, door-spawns,etc...playing the levels myself, testing difficulty...loading M&B up anew for every fix...
Probably takes 15-20 hours...

Reformat levels 1&2 and fit them into the module system, etc.?  Probably 5 hours or so.

Metzger

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2007, 07:30:01 AM »
Any news of progress?
Or how the things are evolving?

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2007, 03:00:54 AM »
The wizard character would be fine if his magic was powerful enough to justify him.  He could just replace the archer type as a ranged unit ... try to hold the enemy at a distance.  That is, again, if his magic was adequate to actually stop multiple targets bearing down on him, at least theoretically.

Offline Cartread

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2007, 09:27:39 AM »
Any news of progress?
Or how the things are evolving?

I was on vacation and preparing school stuff, but I'm going to pick up today.

The wizard character would be fine if his magic was powerful enough to justify him.  He could just replace the archer type as a ranged unit ... try to hold the enemy at a distance.  That is, again, if his magic was adequate to actually stop multiple targets bearing down on him, at least theoretically.

Magic attacks are pretty buggy, so making a character based on that is kinda buggy.  The elf has a variety of magic, but can also fight hand-to-hand--how M&B combat is meant to work.  Both characters can also use bows.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2007, 11:03:03 AM »
It's not just "bugs" - the magic attacks are not really balanced.  They need more punch, especially when the player's skill level is higher, to deliver the message that this is "magic" and not just throwing candles at your enemy or something.

And there's no reason the wizard shouldn't have short-range spells for hand-to-hand as well ... things like flame blade and burning touch are a part of most fantasy-type wizard abilities.  Then he could fight hand-to-hand, it would just look freaky.

Offline Cartread

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2007, 11:21:58 AM »
Well there isn't very many different types of magic attacks.  There are projectiles (firearms), power-ups like attack+, healing spells and then a couple odd ones like spawning a troop/weapon.

Do you have any other types of magic in mind?  Increase the magic's power overall for a wizard character?  Besides that, how do you think the wizard character would evolve?

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2007, 11:36:13 AM »
Spawning a weapon has great potential.  Invisible weapons that fire arrows of flame, that sort of thing.  Spawned shields, especially, could be used as protective spells.  Projectiles can have triggers added to them - on impact, they can cause the target to do whatever ... vanish in a puff of smoke, or turn into a frog, or anything else you can imagine.  Area effect is possible - that was done with potions in the Darklands-based mod.

This would not make the wizard particularly more powerful than anything else, but the sheer absurdity of turning foes into frogs and stuff would make him a cool character.  That plus area effect would make him seem stronger than he really was.  It's like "You turned him to stone?  Wasn't that overkill?"

The idea of having magic in a game is to make it seem, well, magical.  It's not just a tactical consideration, it's a fashion statement.

Offline Cartread

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2007, 10:56:44 AM »
Good points and ideas.  A new wizard character would be a good addition. :)

Spawning a weapon has great potential.  Invisible weapons that fire arrows of flame, that sort of thing.  Spawned shields, especially, could be used as protective spells.  Projectiles can have triggers added to them - on impact, they can cause the target to do whatever ... vanish in a puff of smoke, or turn into a frog, or anything else you can imagine.  Area effect is possible - that was done with potions in the Darklands-based mod.

I like the idea of a barrier-shield.  I hadn't thought of that.

Projectiles can cause triggers on impact?  Is that done by try_for_agents?  Area effect is also done this way?

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2007, 11:28:15 AM »
Couldn't tell you the actual command sequence ... I would have to look it up, and I'm not sure I could make it work then.  It has a line like "on_hit" something.  Figuring out what kind of script you want it to do "on hit" could take a lot more doing.  It's done the same way as the "ti_on_init_item" and "ti_on_weapon_attack" that are used to make the guns produce fire and smoke when used.

The source for the old Darklands mod is open source now ... you can look up their potions and find the programming sequences you need.  Just don't use the particle effects from that one - they would bog down the fastest graphics cards in the world.  Come up with something more simple.

Offline Hellequin

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2007, 03:04:35 PM »
Yeah, those particle effects were a stand-in waiting for someone who actually, y'know, knew something about particle systems to stand up. ;)

Cartread - at this point you've got a whole lot of options in terms of making magic, the new module system opens up whole kinds of potential.  Just as an example, if you filled a 'hidden' room with frogs, (agent_set_position) could probably let you swap out a targeted orc, swap in a frog at the original position, prorate the frog's HP according to the original's, and presto (squish).  If you do decide to pursue it, I'd be willing to contribute some scripting effort to the cause.  Hero & Blade is cool.

Offline Cartread

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2007, 04:15:58 PM »
Yeah, those particle effects were a stand-in waiting for someone who actually, y'know, knew something about particle systems to stand up. ;)

Cartread - at this point you've got a whole lot of options in terms of making magic, the new module system opens up whole kinds of potential.  Just as an example, if you filled a 'hidden' room with frogs, (agent_set_position) could probably let you swap out a targeted orc, swap in a frog at the original position, prorate the frog's HP according to the original's, and presto (squish).  If you do decide to pursue it, I'd be willing to contribute some scripting effort to the cause.  Hero & Blade is cool.

Thanks.  If I get it rolling, your coding genius would be appreciated.

I've been working on a different mod since H&B 808Z (a turn based, building type  ;)), and it is mostly finished, so I'll release that and see what people would like pursued.  I could go either way, but some disappointing "random dungeon" making for H&B has me edged off it recently.

Metzger

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2007, 09:22:24 AM »
Nice to see that things are advancing  :)
Keep up the good work!

Kolba

« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2008, 08:46:26 AM »
Mod is very good, congrats! But, when do you port mod to 0.903?

Mormakar

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2008, 02:15:25 PM »
Hello! I love this mod but I haven't seen any progress for a while! Is the mod still alive?

BAdabombadaBang

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2008, 07:35:16 PM »
I think this poor fellow is dead you guys let it rest in peace  ::)

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2008, 09:30:30 PM »
Cartread is working his "Peasants" mod for now ... give him time, and he'll either come back to Hero&Blade, or incorporate the material into something new.

I mean, giving up on people who haven't been active for months is one thing - giving up on an experienced modder who continues to produce good work (even if it is on another project at the moment) is another.

BAdabombadaBang

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2008, 04:41:52 PM »
I know I should of said hibernating  :)

Offline Cartread

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2008, 02:31:30 AM »
Oh.  Thank you for that Ron Losey.

I should ask Winter to put this in the Hibernating category, though.

ben_battler

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2010, 07:11:03 PM »
How do you beat the 4th quest i can't find the chest. can someone give me a map labeling hidden things like traps or secret doors thanks.