Author Topic: Schattenländer Repository Opened  (Read 6958 times)

Offline Hellequin

• View Profile
Schattenländer Repository Opened
« on: July 03, 2007, 03:31:45 PM »
Hey, everyone.

Here's the status of things.  After an initial flurry of offers of assistance, many of them followed by some real help, my collaborators shrank to one, then to none - often with no actual warning of their change of status.  I'm no better; when this situation led me to wander on to other things, I didn't even have the courtesy to note that it had happened, be honest with myself and you guys, and say so.

What I would like to do at this point is this.

I will open the mod up to the community.  Quite distinct from Craftmod going open-source, where it was quite functional and was being opened for further improvement, this is very much me saying of an incomplete work, "If someone wants to pick this up, do so."

It is not impossible that I'll resume interest.  Indeed, if even two people actually stepped up and started to work with the mod, to make any kind of contribution, then I bet that my interest would be sparked, and I'd be back in the game.  I'm not gone.  I'm not discouraged, even.  I'm just not excited
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 03:41:10 PM by Hellequin »

Offline Hellequin

• View Profile
Schattenländer Repository Opened
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 03:40:34 PM »
Okay.

I have opened up the Subversion repository for general access, and have written a doc which provides an overview of what everything is in the code, and where to find it, and more-or-less how it works.

The repository, containing the most-current version of the mod, can be found at [http://svn.hellequin.net/schattenlander].  This will require a Subversion client to access; for Windows, I recommend TortoiseSVN.  Read-only access shouldn't require a login; full access is available to anyone through userID "user" with password "user".  If you seriously intend to not just look at it but actually work on it, please let me know and I'll generate you a unique userID and password.  That way the version tracking (which is the whole point) will do us any good at all.

My summary of the code structure can be accessed at this link (PDF).  I encourage any coders who aren't sure whether anything in the mod will be useful to them, to read that file through and to feel free to ask questions.

A further doc discussing where were headed with the mod when it stalled out will be included when I get time to write it.

Now opening this topic up to any discussion or questions... I yield the floor.

Offline KON_Air

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Schattenländer Repository Opened
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 01:34:35 PM »
I knew I kinda figured how-to on potions but didn't fanthom it was that... delicate and complicated.
Also for read only acess firefox is good enough.

mwirkk

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 02:57:56 AM »
I've posted a notice about this change on the Darklands Yahoo! group. It may attract some new interest. I've certainly been interested. But until now, not as motivated as I'd like to have been. But, like yourself, and your other contributors, the problem is always having enough time. :(  We'll see.  -mwirkk

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 06:56:35 AM »
Guys:

I was part of some of the earlier attempts at a Darklands remake, over on the aforementioned board.  The current "Realistic Combat Model" (RCM) statistics I've been working up for half of the M&B mods just about what a DL-based mod needs.  (The original Darklands was, after all, one of the few computer games where plate armor actually protected you from something.)  If anybody does get serious about trying to get this thing back on its feet, somebody drop me a note and make sure I know about it ... I'll be sure to work up some good custom item stats for them.

Offline Hellequin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 03:00:51 PM »
Mwirkkk... thanks!  I had a flurry of interest via email shortly after posting, but nobody followed through.  Reposting it may, if nothing else, let us roll again for that critical 100 on d% that seems to be necessary for this kind of recruiting... ;)