login

Author Topic: Have I lost?  (Read 3415 times)

Ecramer

Have I lost?
« on: June 14, 2007, 06:34:00 PM »
Hey everyone, I was playing as Gondor and, although I slew tons and tons of orcs and Haradrim, the kingdom fell.  Since it is fallen . ..is there any chance of me winning?  Should I go to Rohan and draft troops from there and try to win this thing, or is there no chance for me winning?

Offline mtarini

• Administrator
  • TLD dev team
    • View Profile
    • (home)
Re: Have I lost?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 07:10:04 PM »
> Since [my faction] is fallen . ..is there any chance of me winning? 

If the answer is "no", as I think it is, I am all for this staying as it is.

I like the fact that the war can be won, OR lost, in TLD.
I like it, even if - or rather also because of - the war is a lot bigger than your character is, and so it can be lost even if you scored a lot of personal victories in skirmishes.
It should be an achievement if you influence it at all.

War as a huge background element with countless effects, that changes over time, plus you can, sometimes, partly, influence it. Just how cool is that? :)

Edit: removed errors
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 07:35:36 PM by mtarini »

DaBlade

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 07:17:58 PM »
I think you can still win.

Ecramer

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 07:22:30 PM »
haha, incredibly cool.  I'm totally fine with losing, it's a refreshing new feeling.  It would be great, however, if your character could swear fealty to an allied lord--ie, my Gondorian captain could fight for Rohan.
Is it always very difficult for Gondor to win?  The Haradrim, Corsairs, and Mordor just swarmed me from the start.  The best chance I had was when a lesser host of Rohan attacked into Haradrim lands, and working with them, I managed to bring the Haradrim down to weakened.  Didn't last, though  : /

Ecramer

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 07:24:12 PM »
hmmm . ..well, I'll give it a try.  The problem is that I won't be able to do anymore quests for lords.  I think that means I won't be able to get nearly as much influence .. .clearly I will have to become solely a lord of slaughter and valor.

Offline Ancientwanker

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 09:04:36 PM »
As long as the elves or rohan are alive, the good guys can still win. Once they are gone only Isen or Mordor can win.

I planned to have an adoption routine that would switch you over to Rohan but I still havent done it. It will be a rough game without quests or much influence.  At least in the new version youll get your influence automatically.

Ecramer

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 11:47:14 AM »
Hmm, ok, thanks Ancientwanker.  I guess I'm going to start a new game . . .I wouldn't be able to win this one for a long time . ..and I forgot to turn NPC death on, leading to me having an unkillable Prince Imrahil, Mablung, etc.  Annoying as all hell.   :-\.  I'm excited for the new version for the "adoption routine" alone.

So I guess its time for me to be a swarthy Dunlending warrior, sworn to drive the strawheads out his ancestral homeland . . .