Author Topic: Errors, Bugs, Problems & Suggestions  (Read 11756 times)

Offline Cartread

• View Profile
Errors, Bugs, Problems & Suggestions
« on: May 28, 2007, 07:15:15 AM »
If Hero&Blade is not working properly for you, post your problems here.
If you have a bone to pick with the gameplay or have an idea to alter the current gameply, post your ideas here.

Light_Guardian

Re: Errors, Bugs, Problems & Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 03:01:38 PM »
lol cartread you are really pro you care about us

no i dont have any problems matbe sometimes allies that hit wall and i lose them but this mod rock!!

Myden Blat

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 11:43:57 AM »
[quote9I just walked in some random room after taking some random quest. I clicked tab and enemies appear.
I beated all enemies, and when i click tab again, it says i haven't beated all enemies. How should i continue?[/quote]

I still haven't got an answer at the other forum...i hope i get one here!

Offline Cartread

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 03:07:31 PM »
which quest is this in?

I'm guessing your talking about the second quest after you open the door with Ragnar.  There are probably goblins running around, and after you kill all the enemies, it will give the message "Well Done..." where it displays damages and such.

Offline nema

• Journeyman
  • ... what nema made was outside reality...
    • View Profile
    • Guardians party
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 09:48:35 AM »
which quest is this in?

I'm guessing your talking about the second quest after you open the door with Ragnar.  There are probably goblins running around, and after you kill all the enemies, it will give the message "Well Done..." where it displays damages and such.

I don't remember such message after first dungeon. Well I found exit after I kill them all but...?

I will try to do something with formation script. Maybe then your warriors will stay closer to character. If I will find some usable solution, I will tell you.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 01:57:26 PM by nema »

Innocuous

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 10:20:58 PM »
Hi, I am a recent discoverer of Hero & Blade. I love your mod. The second level has a real Eye of the Beholder feel to it for me.

I'll try to summarize what I don't like and like.

The barbarian is almost too powerful. He is a killing machine. You don't need any other party members: he can solo entire planets. This will probably be fixed in later versions, but right now it seems to me that the other characters pale in comparison. The thief in particular is lacking (a dagger? he can't even parry!).

The looting system is interesting, to say the least. The tab function has some problems for me though. When you finish a room, you can be on the other side of the map before you hit tab, which means that you can search a room without being in it. Counter-intuitive if you ask me. I wasn't around for previous versions, so I may not know all the details of why you swtiched to this system. A better way of searching for loot in my opinion is just to use the chests you have lying around. That way the player will be sure to search all nooks and crannies of a room to find treasure. If not, you might want to remove the option to look inside the chests. Because there is nothing in them and I can't stop looking in them  :)

When you finish clearing a room, after you hit tab, there is the yes/no dialogue to search, right? Well, if you select "not at this time," you can't ever search the room and the triggers don't fire--it says that you must clear all monsters before searching. If you select yes, you must hit tab AGAIN to actually search. Was this intended?

Also, I can't seem to finish the second dungeon. Was it not finished? I couldn't find the hostage to rescue. The mentor character did mention that there were "hidden passages" to be found, but I couldn't find any. If there are hidden passages, it might help to put some cracks in the wall where there is one, because I'm pretty sure I checked thoroughly and didn't find anything.

A solution to the npc AI might be to make some dungeons larger. A large set of caves and tunnels might make navigation easier, but if you implement the switch to the solo hero idea, that won't be a problem. I'd still like to see large open caves though. With running water  :D

Another problem I see is that there is no clear progression for the wizard character. He starts with all spells and the genie is already summoned. Maybe we could buy spells from the merchant or get them from the Mentor character. This will give the character more depth, as right now he is almost too powerful in the beginning, and not powerful enough later. In most fantasy games, it is the other way around. The fighter classes start strong, and the wizard gains more power through his spells as he gains levels. A chain of spells too, where he must sacrifice some to gain others might add depth to the character, like taking fire OR wind spells, not both.

I know you made a choice to make all wizard spells firearms, but that seems too slow to me. A better solution might be to use throwing weapons, such as rocks, for the fireballs. Can the same effects be attatced to throwing weapons as firearms?

I know it sounds like I have a lot of complaints, but I just love the mod so much I want every issue solved. Again, I really like what you've got here  ;)

I just walked in some random room after taking some random quest. I clicked tab and enemies appear.
I beated all enemies, and when i click tab again, it says i haven't beated all enemies. How should i continue?

Also, what this guy is saying, is that he cleared a room. Then he searched it. Then a monster appears (just like it is supposed to). Then he killed it, and then tried to search again (since he cleared the room again). That isn't how it works. The first search is the only search. What you found was an orc up your ass.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 10:24:42 PM by Innocuous »

Offline Cartread

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 12:02:11 AM »
Firstly, thanks a bunch.

Hi, I am a recent discoverer of Hero & Blade. I love your mod. The second level has a real Eye of the Beholder feel to it for me.

I'll try to summarize what I don't like and like.

The barbarian is almost too powerful. He is a killing machine. You don't need any other party members: he can solo entire planets. This will probably be fixed in later versions, but right now it seems to me that the other characters pale in comparison. The thief in particular is lacking (a dagger? he can't even parry!).

Yeah.  Characters are not all together sorted.  At least, you can be the thief for increased difficulty...but I'll probably change it to solo and then the thief would be drastically changed, but maybe not if new ai features are present in the coming next version of M&B.
Eye of the Beholder?  I played Warrior of the Eternal Sun on Genesis :)

The looting system is interesting, to say the least. The tab function has some problems for me though. When you finish a room, you can be on the other side of the map before you hit tab, which means that you can search a room without being in it. Counter-intuitive if you ask me. I wasn't around for previous versions, so I may not know all the details of why you swtiched to this system. A better way of searching for loot in my opinion is just to use the chests you have lying around. That way the player will be sure to search all nooks and crannies of a room to find treasure. If not, you might want to remove the option to look inside the chests. Because there is nothing in them and I can't stop looking in them  :)

The chests contained the treasures in previous versions, but I converted it all into the Tab system, trying to push it to its limit.  Right now, I believe the Tab system is too much of a pain to implement, so I'm probably gonna cut it in the future, but still have "wandering monsters" in some form.

When you finish clearing a room, after you hit tab, there is the yes/no dialogue to search, right? Well, if you select "not at this time," you can't ever search the room and the triggers don't fire--it says that you must clear all monsters before searching. If you select yes, you must hit tab AGAIN to actually search. Was this intended?

Hitting it twice is the way it was coded...it's a pain in the butt really. :P

Also, I can't seem to finish the second dungeon. Was it not finished? I couldn't find the hostage to rescue. The mentor character did mention that there were "hidden passages" to be found, but I couldn't find any. If there are hidden passages, it might help to put some cracks in the wall where there is one, because I'm pretty sure I checked thoroughly and didn't find anything.

Yes there is a secret door.  It blends in with the wall and you can see different lighting on its opening, but it's not at all obvious.  When you come out the stairway, let's say you're facing North.  It is to the Northeast in a room w/ 2 orcs and you must face South to see it.  That's the best directions I can come up with at the moment.

A solution to the npc AI might be to make some dungeons larger. A large set of caves and tunnels might make navigation easier, but if you implement the switch to the solo hero idea, that won't be a problem. I'd still like to see large open caves though. With running water  :D

I think the main thing is that if I add companions they must go in a --basically-- straight path to the enemy, and I want Hero & Blade to be twisting and turning: about searching and discovery.  Holy----! 2 Chaos Warriors!

Another problem I see is that there is no clear progression for the wizard character. He starts with all spells and the genie is already summoned. Maybe we could buy spells from the merchant or get them from the Mentor character. This will give the character more depth, as right now he is almost too powerful in the beginning, and not powerful enough later. In most fantasy games, it is the other way around. The fighter classes start strong, and the wizard gains more power through his spells as he gains levels. A chain of spells too, where he must sacrifice some to gain others might add depth to the character, like taking fire OR wind spells, not both.

Still in progress..but he would get upgraded magic, armor, and weapons found on quests, with the others upgrading mostly from the shop.

I know you made a choice to make all wizard spells firearms, but that seems too slow to me. A better solution might be to use throwing weapons, such as rocks, for the fireballs. Can the same effects be attatced to throwing weapons as firearms?

I know it sounds like I have a lot of complaints, but I just love the mod so much I want every issue solved. Again, I really like what you've got here  ;)

Throwing weapons use Particle Systems the same.  I'll give throwing fireballs a try sometime.

Again, thanks a bunch for the helpful notes.

I just walked in some random room after taking some random quest. I clicked tab and enemies appear.
I beated all enemies, and when i click tab again, it says i haven't beated all enemies. How should i continue?

Also, what this guy is saying, is that he cleared a room. Then he searched it. Then a monster appears (just like it is supposed to). Then he killed it, and then tried to search again (since he cleared the room again). That isn't how it works. The first search is the only search. What you found was an orc up your ass.

indeed  :green:

Sunhawken

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 08:00:28 AM »
I all ways hated when i could not join battles between 2 enemys .

The menu for that should be like this.

"Don't get involved"
   "Help [Side 1]"     
   "Help [Side 2]"
   "Attack Both parties"

Edit: I forgot this mod those not have parties.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 10:22:37 AM »
Are you aware that your merchant's inventory seems to be filling up with loot?  I didn't quite play long enough to totally fill it (there being only two working quests so far), but it looks like a problem.

By the way, I really like the way the RCM affects the mod.  Especially the speed and reach issues on the weapons ... greatswords and big axes only work great on perfect swings, but if some little rat gets in too close, you have to hope your armor holds up.  It puts some tactics into the basic dungeon-crawl game, which I think is cool.

Offline Cartread

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 12:31:20 PM »
Yes, the inventory will become a problem..I can probably remove his treasure items or something.

Thanks, your RCM was a great contribution. :)

Nethoras

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 11:51:54 AM »
the new versions fun as hell I like it a lot, good job. however pit traps are annoying, Im not saying remove them, but could you at least make it so theres a way to get out of them like some sort of gobling filled underground corridor, or at the very least make it so you are killed via spike traps and maybye spawning gobilins when you fall down a pit, its really annoying to have to exit the entire game everytime you fall into a pit. good mod overall though,

p.s. maybye you could add the quests from the the previous version to this version, to make a more complete story.

Offline Cartread

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2007, 11:58:06 AM »
Thanks Nethoras.  All pit traps can be climbed out of if you hold down UP long enough.  After it starts going, it'll take about 10-15 seconds to exit the pit and walking side-to-side while holding up will get you out faster.

Thanks for reminding me.  I need to inform everyone that you can climb out...

Metzger

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2007, 01:36:25 PM »
Thanks for making such an great mod. Playd a lot of heroquest when I was younger.

A minor bug: the orc in the quest 3 sometimes seems to get stuck in the barricade.
Bug maybe?: Every time you smash open a container the monster that comes out from it dies.

Suggestions: I like random thing like those crates that you can smash.
Is it possible in M&B engine to make random creature spawn point?
What I mean is that make like three different spawn point for easy,medium and hard opponents.
So that when you go to a new room that has lets say easy random enemy spawn,
it would then randomly pic an enemy to create like either goblin or an orc.
Medium would create harder opponents like the undead and hard would make opponents like the chaos soldiers and such.
Maybe even random traps, like when starting a room a trap token would randomly pic from three possible choices no trap, spike trap or pit.

Random thing will increase the replay value of the mod.  ;)
By the way Quake 1 soundtrack fits extremely well with the mod atmosphere, I recomend listening it while playing this mod.  8)

Quail

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2007, 03:43:50 PM »
The monster in the casket, doesn't always die when you bash it open.

I found that out after receiving an ax to the back of my head.

Metzger

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2007, 04:49:34 PM »
Haven't seen any come out alive, using morningstar as a weapon.
Playd the level three 7 times. Level four only once because I couldn't get up from a pit.

Bad bug: There is one pit that you cannot clime up or it doesnt always work.
It's after the hidden door in the fourth level, some where in the midle of a hallway where there was an orc.
If I remember correctly. Tried climing up all the walls but couldn't get up.  :(

Bug maybe?: There's probably nothing you can do about this,
but if you dont replace the potions you have equipped and used they do not vanish from your inventory.

Offline Cartread

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2007, 01:50:08 AM »
Thanks for making such an great mod. Playd a lot of heroquest when I was younger.

A minor bug: the orc in the quest 3 sometimes seems to get stuck in the barricade.
Bug maybe?: Every time you smash open a container the monster that comes out from it dies.

Suggestions: I like random thing like those crates that you can smash.
Is it possible in M&B engine to make random creature spawn point?
What I mean is that make like three different spawn point for easy,medium and hard opponents.
So that when you go to a new room that has lets say easy random enemy spawn,
it would then randomly pic an enemy to create like either goblin or an orc.
Medium would create harder opponents like the undead and hard would make opponents like the chaos soldiers and such.
Maybe even random traps, like when starting a room a trap token would randomly pic from three possible choices no trap, spike trap or pit.

Random thing will increase the replay value of the mod.  ;)
By the way Quake 1 soundtrack fits extremely well with the mod atmosphere, I recomend listening it while playing this mod.  8)

Thanks  Good suggestions.  I should probably add Easy/Medium/Hard or something similar.  I have been thinking of randomized levels too.

Orcs getting stuck in the barricades: I didn't see too much of it while testing.  I think it's okay if it's just a few of them.
Easy to kill random casket monsters: I thought it was kind of funny, so I left them as they are :P  I could make them spawn behind the player, but I also figured that getting gold/treasure is always good because the item are quite expensive, and so risk would be less if they're already hit when you open.
They usually die, sometimes they don't.  Depends on weapon too.

Haven't seen any come out alive, using morningstar as a weapon.
Playd the level three 7 times. Level four only once because I couldn't get up from a pit.

Bad bug: There is one pit that you cannot clime up or it doesnt always work.
It's after the hidden door in the fourth level, some where in the midle of a hallway where there was an orc.
If I remember correctly. Tried climing up all the walls but couldn't get up.  :(

Bug maybe?: There's probably nothing you can do about this,
but if you dont replace the potions you have equipped and used they do not vanish from your inventory.

All pits can be climbed out of.  That one is pretty bad though, you're right.  You have to hold up for 5 seconds or so on the side that isn't a dead-end.  I'll make it easier to get out.

About the potions, do you mean the" Potion of Healing" or "Minor Potion of Healing", P of Courage, etc.?
The Potion of Healing Mentor gives you replenishes
The others if you have more than 1, one disappears and the other becomes 0/1.  I meant for the disappearing, but not the 0/1.

Metzger

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2007, 04:56:41 AM »
Thanks for the info.  :)
Good that you liked my randomizing ideas.
I wasn't at first sure if I could explain it so that anyone would understand ( I'm not good at explaining stuff  :D ).
I will try the pit again and yeah you are right, it wasn't very common that the orcs got stuck so it doesn't really bother.  8)

Edit:
Just as an idea or maybe an inspiration of some sort!
This mod seems to be progressing from heroquest to advanced heroquest, link here  http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/1758.
So I was thinking that you might want to look at how the rules and other stuff were in that.
Also I would like to see skaven in the game thou I think they just might be too hard to make in M&B skeletons.  :(

Oh and here is the site where to look at things as they are in heroquest, it's addons and in heroquest advanced.
There is also a map of the heroquest realm there.  :)     http://www.geocities.com/baloban/
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 11:46:06 AM by Metzger »

Offline Cartread

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2007, 12:11:01 PM »
Advanced Heroquest?  What the fart?!
 :P
Great, Interesting.  Thanks for the links.

dbouya

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2007, 07:05:31 PM »
the elf is a bit of an odd character because... his weapon doesn't get better and fire wrath doesn't do hardly any damage...

in the first quest (oddly titled quest 3) i had to kill the chaos warrior by hitting him like 100times for 0,0,0,0,0,0,0,critical hit to the head or back or something for 8...repeat repeat repeat....  this was even with courage up... fire wrath does even less damage than the staff so using that wasn't an option on him or even on ulaf

i think either fire wrath needs to be stronger or there needs to be a level 5 offensive magic because it takes too long to get to level 7 before being able to damage that chaos warrior and hitting for 0's over and over and over regardless of what you do is a bit sad... (maybe make fire wrath still do pathetic damage but make it armor peircing so at least it won't do 0's??)

oh and yeah this is a really cool concept i loved hero quest i even had the expansions when i was a kid... it was great it was like D&D only the dungeon master and players didn't actually need to know anything at all to play my one friend actually had dungeons and dragons the board game which is what inspired us to get hero quest in the first place.... man chaos warriors in hero quest usually just meant "game over.. bad idea to open that door" heh

dbouya

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2007, 07:15:03 PM »
heroquest allowed you to split up which was often very useful so someone could look one direction while someone else went to look down another hallway... usually when we played we'd split up into teams of 2 and scout around

maybe you should change things so the missions don't respawn, and after you die as the barbarian you can pick to go back in as the thief elf or wizard? etc etc? once you die as all 4 you lose? but if you beat a quest with some people dead they all come back to life? (not quite how heroquest worked but at least similar?

it would really only work if you could get the game to remember the stats and have them all go plus/minus when the new character was selected... and i suppose sharing experience wouldn't be a bad idea and would still remain very heroquest ish...

Offline Cartread

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2007, 04:50:35 AM »
Thanks for the info/suggestions dbouya.  I'll see what can be done for the Elf's magic.  Changing character on defeat...Hmm...that is a possibility...