Author Topic: Hero & Blade 808c  (Read 17931 times)

Offline Cartread

• View Profile
Hero & Blade 808c
« on: May 26, 2007, 12:28:21 PM »
Hero Quest + Mount&Blade = Hero & Blade

Note: You must Start a New Game and make sure you delete the previous Hero&Blade module folder.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Hero&Blade 808c

-Monsters now spawn only after you open their door, so your companions will follow pretty easily (since they no longer run towards the enemy (who hasn't spawned yet).  Thanks to Drifter for suggesting this; however, this nulls the randomizing of troops. :?

-New Special Character Wolf Man, who has a special mission:

-All searching for treasure is now done using Tab (no chests).  If you talk to one of your companions, he'll say:
Hello, my friend.  To search for treasure, you hit the *Tab button.  If there is a treasure chest in the room, that is what you will search; if there is nothing special in the room, you will randomly find gold or perhaps be struck by an arrow.  Also, you must first enter a room and kill all the monsters there before searching.  If you clear several rooms, only the last defined treasure (like a chest) can be found.
There are also different sounds for each search outcome.

-I've also brushed it up all around...goblins weapons and head armor changed, wizard's fire of wrath faster, vines added to second quest, new dialogue, short victory/failure music...stuff like that.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Hero&Blade 808b
The Wizard character has been completely revamped.
-from character selection:
"You are the Wizard.  In combat you are weak, so you must cast your spells wisely and avoid physical combat.  Your weapon is the wizard staff, and you know the spells of healing, fire of wrath, fireball, forcewind, and the ability to conjure a genie.  You also have two mana, which allows you to cast spells such as healing and fire ball two additional times.  You may not use the weapons of warriors.  *Note: All magic attacks are 'firearms.'  Your companions are the Barbarian, Thief and Elf."

-Mentor explaining the spells:
Healing refills your health entirely and can be replenished with mana.
Fire of Wrath takes a moment of concentration before it is unleashed, but can be used an unlimited amount of times.  It is reasonably powerful.
Fire Ball on the other hand, is incredibly powerful: able to fell any foe if it hits solidly.  Like healing it can be replenished with mana.
Forcewind is not used to deal damage, but to hinder an enemy.  It can be shot repeatedly to immobilize enemies, leaving them susceptible to attack, especially from your comrades.
Finally, you are able to conjure a Genie: an ally who can fight equally with a chaos warrior.

Elf also has slow-release, unlimited fire of wrath now.

^Genie

^The changing of the 2nd quest's wall texture is one of a few other minor changes

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Hero&Blade 808

All right.  I dealt with the problems of fighting through walls and the narrow areas.  Entering and exiting passages was abandoned and it is now played on one large scene with destructable doors (like the tutorial dummies) seperating you from the monsters.  The monsters are ai_mask so they only notice you after you bust down their door.  Sometimes they are alarmed regardless and attack if you are near the door, however.  The areas are now suitable for 3rd person view.

^scene for the first quest

^door busting (several doors here)

In Hero Quest there is the Barbarian, Dwarf, Elf, and Wizard.  I can't make a justified dwarf, so you can choose to be a barbarian, elf, wizard or thief.  The other three characters will then become you companions who will fight with you on the quest.  (sorry no beastman/werewolf) The scene has ai_barriers placed to help them and the monsters navigate, and works pretty well coupled with the ai_mask and doors.

^the charactes as they appear as companions

^whoever you chose is editable, including the elf

Each character has their strengths, as shown during character selection:
  • "You are the Barbarian, the greatest warrior of all.  But beware of magic, for your sword is no defense against it.  Your weapon is the broadsword.  Your companions are the Thief, Elf and Wizard."
  • "You are the Thief.  You rely on gadgets and items rather than brute strength or magical power, and have a trade skill of five rather than none.  Your weapons are the light crossbow and dagger, and you start with 100 gold.  Your companions are the Barbarian, Elf and Wizard."
  • "You are the Elf, a master of both magic and the sword.  You must use both well if you are to triumph.  Your weapon is the shortsword, and you know the spells of healing and fire of wrath.  *Note: All magic attacks are 'firearms.'  Your companions are the Barbarian, Thief and Wizard."
  • "You are the Wizard.  In combat you are weak, so you must cast your spells wisely and avoid physical combat.  Your weapon is the wizard staff, and you know the spells of healing, fire of wrath, fireball, forcewind, and the ability to conjure a genie.  You also have two mana, which allows you to cast spells such as healing and fire ball two additional times.  You may not use the weapons of warriors.  *Note: All magic attacks are 'firearms.'  Your companions are the Barbarian, Thief and Elf."

^fire of wrath

^healing spell

^force wind spell which can be shot rapidly to halt enemy

^fireball, the most powerful spell

All monsters now have vertex-animated faces, and a few different bodies:

Also, as mentioned, in Hero Quest there is the ability to search for treasure.  I incorperated a similar feature where you hit Tab, and a result randomly pops up when you hit Tab a second time: gold, hazards (lowers hp), items, or wandering moster where a monster is added right next to you and attacks!

I also had suggestions to brighten up the scene, which has been done.  Here are some large screens, currently I've changed it to start during evening instead of morning so the scenes are slightly darker, but clearer because they do not have that tan-pink-early-morning-mist which happens in M&B:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/carl_treadway/MountandBlade/heroblade808/Cartread-HeroBlade808-full01.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/carl_treadway/MountandBlade/heroblade808/Cartread-HeroBlade808-full02.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/carl_treadway/MountandBlade/heroblade808/Cartread-HeroBlade808-full03.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/carl_treadway/MountandBlade/heroblade808/Cartread-HeroBlade808-full04.jpg

The 1st quest is still based off Hero Quest's first, as Hero&Blade for .751 was.  But as you will see, it is changed all around, and new quests can be added more easily.

building map in Wings 3D
and in BRFEdit

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Download:

• 2 large dungeons of adventure
  • wolf man with special mission
  • choose barbarian, thief, elf or wizard
  • battle goblins, orcs, skeletons, zombies, mummies, chaos warriors, & a brimstone warrior
  • many new items and scene props
  • python module system included
----------------------------------------------

Once again, thanks to armagan and his team for making M&B easily modable, Thorgrim for his excellent programs and Janus for his M&B repository.  Also, thanks to these forums from which almost every question is answered.

Unofficial M&B Repository download
backup download808b

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds are from Nightmare Creatures, Warcraft II, Albert Odyssey, therecordist and shockwave.com
Floor textures are from this site: http://www.davegh.com/blade/davegh.htm
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 02:52:55 PM by Cartread »

Offline Fisheye

• Blues Brother
  • Guildsman
  • My scalp's so bright, I gotta wear shades.
    • View Profile
Re: Hero&Blade
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 01:01:53 PM »
Utterly awesome mod :) Welcome to MBX.

Offline Grocat

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Hero&Blade
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 04:55:58 AM »
Just wanted to remind you that you still rock the proverbial house.  I can't wait to see what's next.

-Grocat

[cartread edit: oops, thought modify was reply]
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 06:27:58 AM by Cartread »

Yoshiboy

Re: Hero&Blade 808c
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 06:25:47 AM »
Great to see you over here. Brilliant mod :)

Offline Cartread

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 06:26:17 AM »
Thanks Fisheye, Grocat, Yoshiboy.

Just wanted to remind you that you still rock the proverbial house.  I can't wait to see what's next.

-Grocat

Help me out here!  Whatcha think of going back to "1 player" style and so forth?  Check out that topic.

Offline nema

• Journeyman
  • ... what nema made was outside reality...
    • View Profile
    • Guardians party
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 09:58:19 AM »
Above I saw some very interesting and original solutions. I must check your code. And screenshots are really beautiful.  :)
But for:" going back to "1 player" style and so forth?" I can't help you. I don't know former version. :'(

Servitor

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 11:27:41 AM »
Man, This is ... Wonderfull!  :o