Author Topic: Some feedback for the Craftmod devs  (Read 3578 times)

Offline The Yogi

• Guildsman
    • View Profile
Some feedback for the Craftmod devs
« on: May 15, 2007, 05:32:56 AM »
Mostly, I love this mod, but I fear it has spoilt me!

How will I ever be able to go back to NOT having a camp system?

How will I ever learn to live with the frustration of NOT being able to upgrade my looted rusty sword to a Heavy foecleaver from Hell;)? The repair/upgrade system is AWESOME!

I also dig the new crossbows!

As for the basic crafting system itself, I think it's very well made up and quite fun to play with, but I have a few problems regarding the choice of materials. I would suggest:

• Remove bronze weapons. They're incompatible with a world where there is steel. Bronze swords and axes went away with the Bronze Age.
  • I would suggest also removing Iron weapons and armour, but retain Iron as a component in the crafting of many weapons. For example, axes and falchions were cheaper than swords mainly because you could use only a little steel for the edge, while making the rest of much cheaper iron. In craftmod, that would mean a great number of cheap iron parts and few expensive steel parts would be needed to fashion an axe, while for a sword a lot of expensive steel would be required.
  • Making bows out of oak or shields out of yew doesn't seem to make much sense. Remove the option to build things out of innapropiate woods

Offline Winter

• I am Tek Jansen!
  • Administrator
  • MBX Forum owner
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
Re: Some feedback for the Craftmod devs
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 05:52:51 AM »
Mostly, I love this mod, but I fear it has spoilt me!

How will I ever be able to go back to NOT having a camp system?

How will I ever learn to live with the frustration of NOT being able to upgrade my looted rusty sword to a Heavy foecleaver from Hell;)? The repair/upgrade system is AWESOME!

I also dig the new crossbows!

As for the basic crafting system itself, I think it's very well made up and quite fun to play with, but I have a few problems regarding the choice of materials. I would suggest:

• Remove bronze weapons. They're incompatible with a world where there is steel. Bronze swords and axes went away with the Bronze Age.
  • I would suggest also removing Iron weapons and armour, but retain Iron as a component in the crafting of many weapons. For example, axes and falchions were cheaper than swords mainly because you could use only a little steel for the edge, while making the rest of much cheaper iron. In craftmod, that would mean a great number of cheap iron parts and few expensive steel parts would be needed to fashion an axe, while for a sword a lot of expensive steel would be required.
  • Making bows out of oak or shields out of yew doesn't seem to make much sense. Remove the option to build things out of innapropiate woods

Craftmod in its current incarnation is just a showcase of what can be done with the crafting system. If you'd like a more realistic approach, the code is freely available to everyone -- you can easily tweak it yourself. ;)

Offline The Yogi

• Guildsman
    • View Profile
Re: Some feedback for the Craftmod devs
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 05:56:24 AM »
Heh, well, not easily perhaps, since I'm just learning to use Python, but point well taken none the less. Thanks again for an awesome mod!