login

Author Topic: Basics of ship combat  (Read 26286 times)

Yoshiboy

Basics of ship combat
« on: May 13, 2007, 07:35:49 AM »
When you get to a battle with another ship you will be given some options to explore your ship or to engage in an overview. The other area aren't finished but eventually would be used for preparation. You don't really have to worry about them. Click engage in overview to go to the main combat mode.

You will appear above your ship with a white arrow floating over the water, this is your "cursor". You will also see yellow rings either side of your ship. These are your cannon aimers, they represent the maximum range of your cannons on either side, and the direction in which they are aimed. For maximum damage you will want to line the enemy ship up so that they are right on the ring or they are in between your ship and the ring.

If the overview it is your aim to either destroy the other ship or to board it and take it for your own.

There are several modes in the overview. Pressing the 'change weapon' key will cycle between these.

Move mode

Move mode is the mode you use to move your ship, it is shown by a white arrow in the bottom right corner of the screen. The white arrow represents your 'Cursor'. To move the cursor simply aim with the mouse and press w,a,s,d to move around. You press the attack button (left mouse click) to set a new waypoint. A waypoint is represented by a purple ring and it is where your ship will travel to. Setting a new waypoint when another is already active will override the old one. The angle your ship can turn at and the speed which it moves is relative to the type of ship.

Fire Mode

Fire mode is the mode you use to fire the cannons. It is shown by a set of cannonballs in the right bottom corner of the screen. Simply pressing attack (left mouse) will make the cannons fire. They will automatically choose which yellow icon to fire towards depending on which in nearer a ship. Stars will then appear on the left side of your screen, starting at 5 and going down. Once the stars have stopped this means your cannons are re-loaded and you can fire again. Firing when not all your cannons are reloaded will shoot a weaker volley of cannonballs. The more crew you have the faster you will reload.

Sail Mode

This is shown by an icon of sails in the corner. Clicking the left mouse button in this mode will cycling between raising and lowering your sails. With your sails down your ship will move slower but it will become more manourverable. Make sure you make use of this function tactically. It can be easy to become a sitting duck to cannon fire.

Shot type mode

Shown by a cannon of some shot types in the corner. In this mode you can you and of the new shot types that you may have purchased at harbor technicians. Simply left click and it will cycle through shot types to use. Chain shot will do most destruction to sails, grape shot will do high damage to crew on the enemy ship and round shot does the most damage to the hull of the enemy ship.

Boarding

Boarding an enemy ship is simply done by sailing into them, once this is done it will jump to a scene with yours and the enemy ship facing each other. There will be a plank and ropes allowing you to board the enemy ship and vice versa. To use the ropes simply walk into them and they will swing you over to the other ship. Reinforcements for both sides will keep coming when the number of men you/they have on deck gets too low. The battle will finish once one team has no men on the deck of their or your ship. If you die you will be given the option to go back on deck, but eventually you will give in and lose the battle.

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt online Gallery
Re: Basics of ship combat
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 08:33:18 AM »
the ropes are great, I love boarding. But would it be possible to make the white arrow move faster? it moves really slow which makes maneuvering very hard.
Here's my gallery: http://merlkir.deviantart.com/

I'm now painting and drawing commissions. I'll paint portraits, pets, girlfriends, favourite characters..you name it. Send me a PM if interested ;)

Yoshiboy

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 08:40:39 AM »
the ropes are great, I love boarding. But would it be possible to make the white arrow move faster? it moves really slow which makes maneuvering very hard.

No, sorry. It's maxed out atm.

ziggy

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 08:45:52 AM »
could you make a ghost ship or something....???
perhaps the flying dutchman, just an idea :green:

Odin Doomhammer

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 06:33:33 AM »
What is the "change weapon" key?  I've always used the scroller on the mouse to change weapon.

Yoshiboy

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 09:54:22 AM »
What is the "change weapon" key?  I've always used the scroller on the mouse to change weapon.

That works fine. I usually have mine set to "e" though and "q" for change shield. That is really useful.

Offline Boosh

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 06:22:43 AM »
I find the game crashes more often than not when in ship combat mode, especially after the ships ram and begin to engage in boarding combat.

haj4lyf

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 01:44:10 AM »
when im playing the game it crashes on me and it lags alot when im leaving or entering a town any help please

adderbrain5

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 03:11:08 PM »
i noticed that when i engage in tactical overview everything is fine untill i fire my guns. the first time i fire my guns and this always happens at exactly the instant i release the mouseclicker and the guns are going to fire the game crashes. this kind of makes the game a little bit pointless beacause now all i can do is board and i have a great ship so theres not even a point to that anymore. do you know how i could fix this?

Meriadoc

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007, 01:38:37 AM »
Hello everyone, I am new to Pirates! I just downloaded the mod but, I can't figure out how to install it (sorry if other people have posted this question before).

Offline Shik

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2007, 10:28:16 AM »
You need version .808 of M&B to run this mod. Make sure you have the right version.

Meriadoc

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2007, 10:48:46 AM »
I do have version .808.

Meriadoc

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2007, 04:23:04 PM »
Oh, I figured it out  :)

McSpanky

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2008, 08:46:52 AM »
I have version .808 and for some reason I can't get it to work. I have the latest version, and it tells me I can play it there, but when I exctract it to the .808 version it never shows up. I always get errors when extracting it too.

draconis

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 04:38:06 PM »
Hey how do i talk to my first mate? i cant find my ship and i don't have the options to ask him where it is. and one i find where it is how do i get it back?
Oh and are you planning it release this mod for 1.011 (its kinda hard to play it in .808).

emperor77

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2009, 08:37:06 AM »
This mod is dead. And has been for quit a while.