login

Author Topic: General Suggestions  (Read 456877 times)

comikal

Re: General Suggestions
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2007, 05:31:18 pm »
If M&B runs in Vista, so should this OnR. What is the sound output format in Vista?

They have wma except for Business or Home "N" versions. But yeah, Vista runs M&B but something as huge as OnR runs much better than my XP system. Of course, my laptop is a dual-core 64 bit with twice the video memory and RAM. I guess that makes some difference.

DudeWheresMyTank

« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2007, 04:46:16 pm »
The heavy yumi's pdraw requirement should be lowered to 5. at the current rating of 6, and m&b v.808's new pd affect on accuracy, the heavy yumi isn't accurate even with pd of 10 and 400 in bow proficiency. I lowered it to pd req 5 in the text files and it is now usable at pd 10 but that's still an extreme requirement in my opinion.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2007, 07:51:49 pm »
The heavy yumi's pdraw requirement should be lowered to 5. at the current rating of 6, and m&b v.808's new pd affect on accuracy, the heavy yumi isn't accurate even with pd of 10 and 400 in bow proficiency. I lowered it to pd req 5 in the text files and it is now usable at pd 10 but that's still an extreme requirement in my opinion.

The "heavy yumi" is not really supposed to be very usable.  It was modeled to represent the absurdly heavy Japanese bows of this period.  Some of them had draw weights close to 200 pounds - you had to be a real gorilla to draw one at all.  (Heaviest thing I've ever pulled was 110 pound draw, and it was hurting me a lot.)  There is not supposed to be a way to use one accurately at range ... but should you get close and actually hit somebody with one, it's one of the few weapons that will reliably go through just about any armor, and the lethality of taking such an impact is stunning.  They're supposed to be extreme.

If you just feel you must use the heavy yumi, use them like the Japanese horse archer competitions - ride by and let your target have it at point blank range and full gallop.  That's what they were designed for.

Personally, I prefer the light yumi.  Damage is a little lower, making it a bit weak against armor, but accuracy and ease of use more than pay for that.

You're just seeing the detail of the RCM model ... almost every weapon has strengths and weaknesses.  Often, a "better" weapon will have more weaknesses than strengths.

DudeWheresMyTank

« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2007, 11:21:48 pm »
well if it's supposed to be a 200lb monster bow, at least give it some more damage potential. right now, it only has +10 damage over the yumi, which is pretty crappy considering you can't hit squat with it. I say lower it's pdraw but raise it's damage. It'll still be inaccurate since the damage rating affects accuracy as well

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2007, 11:41:22 pm »
well if it's supposed to be a 200lb monster bow, at least give it some more damage potential. right now, it only has +10 damage over the yumi, which is pretty crappy considering you can't hit squat with it. I say lower it's pdraw but raise it's damage. It'll still be inaccurate since the damage rating affects accuracy as well

If you haven't done the math, +10 at that level translates to about a 30% greater chance of a first-shot kill.  The only way you could do more damage than that with an arrow is to strap dynamite to it.  I mean, it's an arrow, after all - not a 500 pound bomb.

As I said, it's not really supposed to be a good idea.  It's just historical.

Galdred

« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2007, 08:07:00 am »

The "heavy yumi" is not really supposed to be very usable.  It was modeled to represent the absurdly heavy Japanese bows of this period.  Some of them had draw weights close to 200 pounds - you had to be a real gorilla to draw one at all. 

But wouldn't someone with 30 STR and Power Draw 10 qualify for being a gorilla?  :green:
Considering duels, wouldn't it be better to have them scripted as random events? Like the ones happening in Schattenländer? That would allow them not to be taken prisonner by wandering parties, and would make it impossible to save right before a duel.
I think a duellist rating (an equivalent of fame related to duelling) would be a more appropriate reward than loot (I think the idea of duelling and looting don't fit).
Are the duellists all the same? I have not noticed any significant differences between their skill levels (but the duels are pretty fast with the RCM anyway, so it is hard to tell).
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 08:19:08 am by Galdred »

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2007, 08:15:13 am »

The "heavy yumi" is not really supposed to be very usable.  It was modeled to represent the absurdly heavy Japanese bows of this period.  Some of them had draw weights close to 200 pounds - you had to be a real gorilla to draw one at all. 

But wouldn't someone with 30 STR and Power Draw 10 qualify for being a gorilla?  :green:

Actually, anyone who makes the required power draw 6 to use the thing would probably let his knuckles drag on the ground behind him.

That still does not make the bow accurate, and it does not increase the damage by a factor that would normally require explosives.  It just means you can pull the fool thing.  Why you would want to ... well, I'm not sure.

Tuckles

« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2007, 05:25:05 am »
I dunno if this has been suggested before, but can we please have a bit more starting money? Considering the up'd prices (280k for a spear? O_O) I think giving a starting amount of 150 mon for a Bushi and 35 for a ronin? Come on. I suggest making 'em 15000 and 3500 or 1500 and 350.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2007, 06:42:54 am »
I dunno if this has been suggested before, but can we please have a bit more starting money? Considering the up'd prices (280k for a spear? O_O) I think giving a starting amount of 150 mon for a Bushi and 35 for a ronin? Come on. I suggest making 'em 15000 and 3500 or 1500 and 350.

Yeah ... 350,000 for Kuge, 600 for samurai, 35 for Ronin.

Tuckles

« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2007, 07:49:09 am »
350 000 for a Kuge seems a tad much, don't you think? maybe 40 000, 5 000 and 350?

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2007, 08:04:23 am »
350 000 for a Kuge seems a tad much, don't you think? maybe 40 000, 5 000 and 350?

"Kuge" translates "nobility".  If you read that "Baron", it comes into perspective.

And "Ronin" translates "wanderer".  Read that as "vagrant" ... "Homeless army veteran"

So my numbers were not at all extreme.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 08:06:31 am by Ron Losey »

Tuckles

« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2007, 08:09:26 am »
I don't think the noble would carry all that money with him though right?

And if the ronin gets 35, and is a vagrant, just give him 0 instead.

Offline fujiwara

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2007, 09:17:14 am »
:D Yes, the starting money has been fixed, to Bushi 360 (1 koku), Kuge 36000 (100 koku), Merchant 3600 (10 koku), and Ronin 90 (quarter koku). Here's my rational behind this:

Young samurai were never wealthy, and very much dependent on their liege lords for their continued survival as samurai and not ronin. Kuge were independently wealthy, and most kuge familiies had interests in one or more shoen. I intend to reflect this in game as some sort of administrative NPC available only to Kuge who manages the player's money (maybe I'll open this up to any class who wants to give a shot at 'investing', but the buy-in would be enormous) and doles out regular dividends. Merchants obviously had to create their own wealth, and ronin were, as Ron said, 'homeless army vets', as much mercenaries as anything, which is why they (and the concept of them) fits so well into the M&B engine.

The horses tend to get their legs caught in the catapult rather than being properly launched.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2007, 11:19:15 pm »
I've got one.  Some of this has been done, but we need to take it a lot further....

Non-military improvised weapons.  We have a staff and a sickle, but there are numerous others that should be included.  For example, knife-armed peasant types should generally not have expensive tanto ... they should have crude kitchen knives and such.  Rusty agricultural machetes and farm hatchets ... deadly enough, but worthless.  Non-weapon hammers and clubs, tree branches ...

This would also help the loot issue... realistic-looking piles of loot (including fully functional weapons, for those who need them) could be dropped, and still not give the player an awe-inspiring pile of wealth.  Better than those weapons just disappearing.  Also helps highlight the differences between warriors and peasants.

------------------------

I can do the items, but I'll need some research help.  Japanese names for all of these items ... any historical research on the subject.  (i.e. Did Jap. kitchens at the time use pointed kitchen knives, or square cleavers like traditional Chinese cooking?)  May need graphics for some of them, eventually, but we can probably borrow everything from native for starters.

Offline fujiwara

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2007, 07:53:24 am »
Ron, I like this idea a lot actually. The current problem the loot code is threefold:

1) I have no means of checking for certain types of items, short of testing for each item individually. This is not a good way to implement this, as it would be VERY slow.
2) The code simply calculates a percentage change for each item in the inventory. The reason the clothing shows up so much is that, for the sake of have troops wear different clothes, the troop inventories are loaded with 4-5 different clothing items, so there's a greater chance of clothes showing up in the drops than more useful things like weapons/armor
3) As it stands, this algorithm is applied across all party templates equally. I could make a fairly simple modification such that each template carries with it its own 'percentage modifier', so that those parties with a larger number of well-equipped troops (forest, mountain banndits, faction patrols), the chances of weapons and armor dropping improves. Or, OTOH, modifiing the inventories of the bandits like you mentioned above and then setting the percentage high.

EDIT: EUREKA! The is_between operation allows you to test if a certain value 'is between' two endpoints in a list. I can set up three sections: clothes, armor, and everything else, like this:

Code: [Select]
('test_item_type',
[
(store_script_param_1,':item'),
(try_begin),
(is_between,':item','itm_kosode_a','itm_haraate_hoso'),
(assign,':min',100),
(assign,':max',50),
(else_try),
(is_between,':item','itm_haraate_hoso','itm_tanto'),
(assign,':min',20),
(assign,':max',10),
(else_try),
(is_between,':item','itm_tanto','itm_end_items'),
(assign,':min',40),
(assign,':max',15),
(try_end),
(assign,reg20,':min'),
(assign,reg21,':max'),
]),

Basically, it says that if the item is clothing, make the drop percentage between 10 and 20%, if armor 50 to 90%, and if weapons 25 to 75%. I'm open to suggestions on these percentages.  This is nice and short, and solves the issue of spearating clothing from armor. I'll get this in tonight and send you a patch. From there we can get working on changing the items carried. I'm also going to add horses to this, since it bothers me that they NEVER seem to drop.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 08:06:53 am by fujiwara »

The horses tend to get their legs caught in the catapult rather than being properly launched.