login

Author Topic: General Suggestions  (Read 451974 times)

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
Re: General Suggestions
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2007, 11:13:46 pm »
Add some profanities to that list, and you're set.  Don't worry about professional sound equipment ... a cheap microphone and a quiet room will be fine.  (If you think any of the rest of us are professionals around here, you're dreaming.)

KanonKross

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2007, 12:43:07 am »
Heh, sounds like fun! Anyone know of a decent sound recording software? Freeware at that. Not one that has limited features.

DudeWheresMyTank

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2007, 05:46:08 pm »
how to swear in 180 languages:
http://www.insultmonger.com/swearing/

Japanese:
http://www.insultmonger.com/swearing/japanese.htm

However, I think Fujiwara intends for this to be a family-friendly mod
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 05:51:52 pm by DudeWheresMyTank »

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2007, 06:24:12 pm »
Family-friendly or no, what do you say when there is some guy coming at you with a knife three feet long, wearing a shirt that appears to be made out of the bulk of a 1968 Buick.  "Oh... (insert favorite expletive here)!"

What do you say when you realize you're outnumbered 3 to one?  "The (bad word) are coming to (bad word) our (bad word) and now we're (comical new bad word)."

I question the definition of "family-friendly" anyway.  We have a game/mod of almost unimaginable violence here, displayed realistically enough to cause flashbacks in those of us who have really seen men die on the edge of a blade ... and you're worried if the characters don't use nice words?  What kind of standard is that?

DudeWheresMyTank

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2007, 07:04:17 pm »
Well in mentioned in the heads thread, and I quote: "Yes, it was historical, but, as I said above, the game is bloody enough, and my son likes to watch me play."

So I think anything he doesn't want his son to hear will be off limits.

However,  I think the swears would be a good addition to other mods. I mean, there are 180 languages there.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2007, 07:30:50 pm »
Well, maybe Fujiwara's kid will grow up to be a great warrior who never uses bad words ... but everyone else here lives on Earth.  I don't advise filling the mod with anything you wouldn't find on television or hear in a schoolyard in most countries.  Vulgar language just for the sake of vulgar language would be a waste.  However, realistic word usage for the situation doesn't seem that far from reasonable - which would include the occasional less-than-proper terms, these ranging from the mildly insulting to the occasionally vulgar.  (Even people who are normally very careful about their language will mutter some not-so-nice things when somebody is trying to kill them.)

The violence is, after all, not really suitable for extremely young viewers ... unless the parents are deliberately trying to desensitize the kids to violence.  (I was raised a warrior - I was deliberately desensitized to violence by the continual happenings of farm life, combined with the constant reminder that anything that applies to animals also applies to humans.  That was before computer games could do this job for you ....)  If the kids are being given a crash course in the real world, I doubt that a few mild to moderately profane expletives, probably in a language they don't speak, will make much difference.  Again, it's likely nothing they won't get on television anyway.

However, I see no reason in the absurd double standard of making all the language suitable for children's books, while the rest of the content is too violent even for horror films.

Offline fujiwara

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2007, 02:42:35 pm »
Family friendly, no. I just wasn't interested in having to deal with severed heads, historical or not. If the swearing is in Japanese, which it should be for this mod, I could care less. My kid doesn't speak Japanese. Sounds are a long-neglected part of this mod (even my wife thinks so!), and anyone who wants to take up the gauntlet has my blessing. I wouldv'e done it a long time ago, but I don't have a microphone or a decent sound card.

The horses tend to get their legs caught in the catapult rather than being properly launched.

KanonKross

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2007, 09:55:50 pm »
Like I said, I would be willing to, but I don't know the exact file type of the sound files. On my computer, they just say they are winamp sound files because winamp is the latest compatable sound player I installed.

I have a mic and could have a quiet room when the apartment is empty. I took a year of japanese. This could be fun ^_^.

Go expletives!

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2007, 10:41:53 pm »
The game runs .oog and .wav formats.  Not sure if it matters which one you use.  Look under M&B's sounds folder, to get a better idea of the size and length of files you're shooting for.  (Translation - I have no idea what kind of quality is standard ... figure something out.)

Not too many totally vulgar expletives, please ... the idea is historical realism.  Hollywood may blanket their lack of dialog in profanities, but reality normally only gets a few of those, generally either placed as insults, or as cries of alarm or distress.  (New York being the exception - they can make sentences where just about every word is a profanity, and they seem to understand what the other people are talking about ... but I don't think you can do that in Japanese.)  If you're not sure which terms are appropriate for these things in Japanese, ask around.

And remember, the battle cry of the Samurai was "Ei!" ... the battle cry of old Bruce Lee movies was "Heeeeyyaaaah!" ... try not to get those mixed up.

Offline fujiwara

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2007, 03:48:13 pm »
Kanon, as Ron said the game reads both OGG and WAV files. I recommend WAV since that's the standard output format for Windows Sound Recorder. Thanks for taking this up. It will definitely add a lot of atmosphere :)

The horses tend to get their legs caught in the catapult rather than being properly launched.

comikal

« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2007, 08:18:21 am »
Unless you have Vista. By the way, I'll see how OnR runs in Vista, but M&B runs fine so far.

Offline fujiwara

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2007, 12:19:28 pm »
If M&B runs in Vista, so should this OnR. What is the sound output format in Vista?

DudeWheresMyTank

« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2007, 01:30:39 pm »
May I suggest resizing the map so that it is smaller and doesn't take so much system resoures and so long to load? You can reduce movement speeds for the mod to keep the same travel times between 2 places. I feel the map is way too large as it is.

Quail

« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2007, 02:42:05 pm »
personally I like how huge the map is.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2007, 09:10:09 pm »
May I suggest resizing the map so that it is smaller and doesn't take so much system resoures and so long to load? You can reduce movement speeds for the mod to keep the same travel times between 2 places. I feel the map is way too large as it is.

The map size doesn't really change the load times by much.  Other functions pull a lot more resources and load time.  That was confirmed when Fujiwara managed to streamline some processes and cut the load times by almost five minutes, back about when we were converting to .808.  You would only gain 10 seconds or less on the first-time load, and maybe half a second on town-to-world transitions, by cutting the map down to 10% of what it is now (rough estimate from other mods, and assuming your computer is fast enough to even run the game).  Such a dramatic move would destroy the feel, and eliminate our ability to add more things to the map (spawn points, triggers, mission targets) ... certainly not worth it over 7 to 9 seconds.

What the map needs is more stuff going on ... but that's for later versions.