login

Author Topic: General Suggestions  (Read 451966 times)

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
Re: General Suggestions
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2007, 08:57:00 am »
I'll second that last motion.

-----------------------------------

Fujiwara:  we've got a logic bug.  Patrols of platoon strength or less are commanded by generals.  Their commanding officers should be ranked below that ... I think umamawari was the correct term for a cavalry officer, not sure what is used for infantry.

Generals should be reserved for armies of at least 100 or more.  Probably "or more", but poetic license could allow for many of the nearby patrols to also be theoretically under his command.

---------------------------------

On the note of generals and NPC's ... is it possible to create a dialog where you could press a captured or liberated from captivity general to join you, and he would be assigned a random name from a list and added to your NPC's?  I ask because, A.)somebody always wants to know how to pick up more NPC's (I like the feel of all of your troops having names and equipment, personally ... like old-school RPG stuff ... so I understand this one), and B.) the generals now are wasted due to their extreme cost (nobody will pay to keep them around).

(Not like equipping them would be much cheaper, but still...)

I think somebody did a script like this for Native or some other mod, but I can't seem to find it right now.

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt online Gallery
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2007, 12:13:34 pm »
OK, I've tried OnR after a long time to see if it got any better, cause back then it offered a huge map full of nothing to do.
I like some features like duelling, fighting in the dojo's (which could be handled better..like you could actually compete with the dojo champions for something. I think it was the sign of the dojo that was given to the one who's beaten the master, nay?), serving under a local province ruler etc.
But some stuff is ruining the atmosphere for me. I think you should definitely add warcries in japanese. The warriors look japanese, but the second they scream "TO BAAATTLEEEEE!", it's all gone.
Also, I'm not sure..it's probably intentional, but swords seem to have very little effect against armor. I got killed very easily fighting four or five mounted samurai and I was lvl 26 or something :( Axes on the other hand kill me with three blows. I've learnt to evade and raise my athletics a lot. Chargins a pack of pirates slashing through them with one hit kills is fun though.
Here's my gallery: http://merlkir.deviantart.com/

I'm now painting and drawing commissions. I'll paint portraits, pets, girlfriends, favourite characters..you name it. Send me a PM if interested ;)

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2007, 12:16:11 pm »
Also total conversion like this one, TLD or Holy War always depend largely on original content graphic wise. Which you've gotten better since last I've tried it. That yumi I've pictures I've seen in some thread look great, swords in scabbards and such..Hope to see more of it in the next release.

I'm now painting and drawing commissions. I'll paint portraits, pets, girlfriends, favourite characters..you name it. Send me a PM if interested ;)

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2007, 12:32:01 pm »
Speaking of graphics, do you intend to add more japanese looking environments, flora etc? Like crooked pines, those bright red maples, more vibrant green grass..

DudeWheresMyTank

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2007, 01:03:12 pm »
Melkir: I'm sure Fujiwara intends to make all those graphical changes you mentioned, but it's a work in progress and as I'm aware almost a one man show.

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2007, 01:09:20 pm »
So is Holy War ;) But I didn't mean any disrespect. Just noting that this mod has great potential and is not yet there.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2007, 06:49:00 pm »
Everyone is quite aware that ONR is not a completed project.  Far from it.

Fujiwara is doing most of the code and the models himself.  Many of the textures are credit to Triglav.  I just do history and combat model, and what I can to keep the forum active.  A number of others have helped from time to time, but yeah, ONR is real short-handed.

The environment was discussed on another thread.  I said rice paddies, huts and such, to make it look more like Japan and less like the Black Forest.  (Asian-looking trees would be nice, if some botanist cares to model them ... but most people likely can't tell the difference anyway.)  We need somebody who's good with graphics to build such a thing.

Next release is scheduled for a number of graphics improvements.

The Dojo code is a rough draft.  Fujiwara has all kinds of plans for that, but this draft was just to get something in the current release to tell people that the dojo thing was in the works.

Japanese voices were also discussed earlier ... but our one person who spoke really good Japanese hasn't been around in months.  (Nobody has heard from Ryuta since the move from Taleworlds, as far as I know.)  If somebody wants to take care of that, please do. 

And swords don't have much effect against armor.  That's the reason for wearing armor.  Axes and hammers, on the other hand, tear armor to bits ... but they're kind of slow, clumsy weapons that lack the damage potential of a sharp sword.  Even more so for halberds and the like.  You wear armor to force your enemy to use less-than-ideal weapons against you.

And yeah, the RCM mods require some tactics ... players can no longer just go out there like they think only kryptonite can hurt them.  A few levels won't save you from being run down by armored horsemen, and even some beggar in rags can stick an axe in your chest, armor or no.  In contrast, if you do land the first solid blow, there is a good chance it will be effective at stopping them.

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2007, 02:20:52 am »
Japanese flora is similar to european on the first sight, but looks different as a whole. Would be nice to have new skyboxes with "misty green mountains " too. Some bamboo grooves..

http://www.wanichan.com/english/picture/forest/forest4.jpg

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2007, 04:34:57 am »
Japanese flora is similar to european on the first sight, but looks different as a whole. Would be nice to have new skyboxes with "misty green mountains " too. Some bamboo grooves..

http://www.wanichan.com/english/picture/forest/forest4.jpg

Uh... I live in Xi'an.  I know what eastern Asian vegetation looks like.  That's not really the point. 

Are you volunteering to model this stuff?  If so, have at it.

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2007, 04:51:58 am »
I know you're in China. Just wanted to post an example for people who don't.
I can't model in Wings, so probably not. I can texture, but I don't have time right now. So no, useless as I am, just throwing in suggestions.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2007, 05:13:25 am »
I know you're in China. Just wanted to post an example for people who don't.
I can't model in Wings, so probably not. I can texture, but I don't have time right now. So no, useless as I am, just throwing in suggestions.

So we're back to where we started... changes to scenery are awaiting somebody who is a good modeler with about a gazillion hours of free time.

Oh well, nothing lost.  Maybe somebody will read this and think "Hey, I could do that." 

Of course, then they will probably go back to taking their medication, and we'll still be out of luck.

Offline fujiwara

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2007, 10:25:45 am »
Wow...talk about opening the flood gates. There are some good ideas in here that deserve a response, but I'm at work right now and don't have the time to write out all my thoughts. More later...

The horses tend to get their legs caught in the catapult rather than being properly launched.

dulahan

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2007, 01:47:05 pm »
One nice inclusion would be a battle size editor with the mod itself.  None of the ones I can find at the repository seem to be compatible with version .808.  But for those of us with the system to handle it, it would definately be nice.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2007, 10:40:14 pm »
Hey, Fujiwara ... it looks like the next version of M&B is going to support editable hitboxes.  Also, the new version of BRF Edit will now handle the custom skeletons.  That means we can finally add the wild boar for the samurai to hunt.  (That was a favorite hobby of the bushi, after all.)

KanonKross

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2007, 11:02:27 pm »

But some stuff is ruining the atmosphere for me. I think you should definitely add warcries in japanese. The warriors look japanese, but the second they scream "TO BAAATTLEEEEE!", it's all gone.

I could probably think of some things to say, but I don't really have professional sound equipment.

"Ike!!" - Go!
"Ikusa!!" - Fight!
"Shine!!" - Die!
"Aaaaaaaaaaah!!" - I think we know what that means...