login

Poll

Should Red Company field pikeman or glaive-men?

Pikes
Glaives

Author Topic: The Return of Red Company - New mercenary troops, for M&B .808  (Read 33755 times)

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
Re: The Return of Red Company - A main quest for Native (v0.1b is out!)
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2007, 03:10:43 AM »
Confirmed that.  You have a bad bug.  Zendar armor merchant has weapons, weapons merchant has zilch.  Probably something missing in your conversation file, such that the conversation doesn't flag to the right merchant screen.  (That IS where stuff like that is stored.)

Tragically, my skill with Python is nowhere near good enough to help you run it down.

Offline The Yogi

• Guildsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2007, 03:15:04 AM »

Confirmed that.  You have a bad bug.  Zendar armor merchant has weapons, weapons merchant has zilch.  Probably something missing in your conversation file, such that the conversation doesn't flag to the right merchant screen.  (That IS where stuff like that is stored.)

Well, that is actually good news. Because if it is the dialogue file that is screwed up in the release, then the problem has already been unwittingly fixed since. I'm playing the mod myself and don't have that problem, although there have been a few changes since the release.

I'll put out a fixed version tonight. Sorry for this!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 03:16:51 AM by The Yogi »

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2007, 03:17:57 AM »
That worked out easier than expected, then ... even if we have no idea how or why.

Offline The Yogi

• Guildsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2007, 02:59:17 PM »
That worked out easier than expected, then ... even if we have no idea how or why.

Alas, not. I tried doing a fresh copy of native, and installing the mod on that. The same problem you describe appears. I copy and paste the dialouge file from my working mod directory... same problem. I start a new game in the working mod directory with the very same dialouge file... NO PROBLEM.

I can only conclude that the problem can not be located in the dialogue file, but rather stems from the absence of some other txt file. From now on, the mod will include all the txt files that are in native, weather I believe I have changed them or not. By not including the native BRFs and the such, the download should still be very small. New version will be up within an hour or two.

Offline Fisheye

• Blues Brother
  • Guildsman
  • My scalp's so bright, I gotta wear shades.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2007, 07:33:24 PM »
Red stuff is easy... just use vertex coloring on an existing armor (e.g. plate armor). You don't even need a new texture.

By the way you're welcome to add your storyline onto the Band of Warriors base code if you want.... check the Taleworlds thread for the source download.

Offline The Yogi

• Guildsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2007, 01:47:59 AM »
Red stuff is easy... just use vertex coloring on an existing armor (e.g. plate armor). You don't even need a new texture.

By the way you're welcome to add your storyline onto the Band of Warriors base code if you want.... check the Taleworlds thread for the source download.

Bear in mind I'm a complete Noob when it comes to graphics editing. Assume I know nothing about anything in that area. I did manage to do a creditable red mail and plate by using floodfill in PSP. I'll check out the vertex coloring thing... is it a function in BRF edit?

I'll be sure to check out Band of Warriors then.

By the way, new bugfixed version (0.11b) is OUT! All the txt.files of native are now included EXCEPT the items file, so that the mod is still fully compatible with RCM. Just paste all files into a copy of the Native module (or into Native itself, if you remember to back up all files).
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 01:56:10 AM by The Yogi »

Offline Fisheye

• Blues Brother
  • Guildsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2007, 03:32:43 AM »
Bear in mind I'm a complete Noob when it comes to graphics editing. Assume I know nothing about anything in that area. I did manage to do a creditable red mail and plate by using floodfill in PSP. I'll check out the vertex coloring thing... is it a function in BRF edit?

Yeah that's why I'm suggesting to use that possibly as a placeholder. Anyone with graphics editing skills would do much better in Photoshop; a good recolor probably takes an hour tops for a skilled person. Not to say you can't sometimes get good results with just vertex painting; the red and blue gambesons are products of vertex painting. But you kind of need the base item to be light colored and you lose the highlights so it tends to have best results on non-reflective costumes like cloth leather etc.

"Vertex Painting" is the box on the first page of BRF Edit. Can't miss it. Select your color, paint mode-> Paint, and click on your model to spray red onto it.

If it looks like you're making everything look bloodstained, that's because that's exactly how the game engine paints blood onto your clothes.

P.S. Your "red company" theme is somewhat similar to what Hardcode and I had in mind for our revamped Sword Sister line - a variant of troops which only the player can have, which have unique capabilities: in our case, the ability to be completely adaptable and be able to reconfigure from mounted to foot, melee to ranged, etc with player commands.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 04:00:48 AM by Fisheye »

Offline The Yogi

• Guildsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2007, 04:11:32 AM »
P.S. Your "red company" theme is somewhat similar to what Hardcode and I had in mind for our revamped Sword Sister line - a variant of troops which only the player can have, which have unique capabilities: in our case, the ability to be completely adaptable and be able to reconfigure from mounted to foot, melee to ranged, etc with player commands.

Cool! I was considering the possiblity to dismount Red Company mounted troops before a battle. While it can be done ingame, when it comes to lancers, the dismount would also make them grab a sword or axe instead of the lance, making them useful foot troops (otherwise they'd be worthless for the storming the castle in the final battle).
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 05:09:45 AM by The Yogi »

Offline Fisheye

• Blues Brother
  • Guildsman
    • View Profile
Yeah that functionality is already coded in BoW.

As in, if you give an npc hero: a rusty knife and a great lance, then order to fight on foot, he'll use the rusty knife.

I think what you need is a minor modification where a if a red company non-hero troop only has lances then when you order a "enter combat dismounted", he automagically gets an arming sword. It's very easy to implement.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 09:09:06 AM by Fisheye »

Alec{zacool}

Hey, this mod sounds good! I  wish you good luck in it.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
Yeah that functionality is already coded in BoW.

As in, if you give an npc hero: a rusty knife and a great lance, then order to fight on foot, he'll use the rusty knife.

I think what you need is a minor modification where a if a red company non-hero troop only has lances then when you order a "enter combat dismounted", he automagically gets an arming sword. It's very easy to implement.

What you need is to just make sure that there aren't any troops who only have lances.  That is, after all, also an issue if their horse goes down during the fight.

Offline Fisheye

• Blues Brother
  • Guildsman
    • View Profile
What you need is to just make sure that there aren't any troops who only have lances.  That is, after all, also an issue if their horse goes down during the fight.

That's actually true... check my Sword Sisters (you can switch them to lancer mode with orders "Enter combat mounted" + "Equip polearms".)

Essentially you have "lancers" who default to "mounted"+"polearms only", but you can order them to equip melee only or have a mix. Haven't implemented troop-specific commands though, but that's really easy to add.

None of this works without my scripts though. I.e. especially not in vanilla.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 06:10:53 PM by Fisheye »

DarkAnd

i have a few thousands of textures to make red shields if you want i can send the images to you chose and say to me make

Offline The Yogi

• Guildsman
    • View Profile
With the new .890 version of M&B and the improved war system in it, I don't see much point in continuing with this mod. If there's any interest in it, I might try to port over the Red Company troop tree and the two new NPCs. The main quest idea is a bit moot in the new setting though.