Author Topic: Realease in current state.  (Read 54805 times)

Yoshiboy

Realease in current state.
« on: April 28, 2007, 04:10:19 am »
I'm considering releasing both Pirates and RPGmod (unported) in their current states. I've had a long and very fun run with modding M&B but really I feel that I'm going to struggle to keep on going with it. Real life has seriously taken out alot more time in my life and modding M&B is about as far from my mind these days as it could be. At least If i released both the mods in the state they are in you could have some fun playing them (if someone ported RPGmod) and then maybe even someone would be tempted to take them over and work on them. (if that happened I would always be on hand for questions and guidance etc. I just can't do so much of the work and all by myself at the moment). I might even come back in half a year or a year or so (once i finish my A levels) and have a real longing to finish them off! Who knows.

But frankly the work I've done over the last few weeks is pretty much nothing. Maybe I would get some more motivation over the summer holidays or something but I'm not really sure.

What do people think?

Highlander

Re: Realease in current state.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 04:50:47 am »
I did not expect that.
I would offer to port RPGmod to 0.800, if you want me to.

Tuckles

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 05:37:43 am »
Hate to see you stop yoshi, you're the modding god. Noone could continue the works you've made.
Studies come first of course. Finish those A levels and come back to the modding business, that's my suggestion.

night raider

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 07:40:06 am »
Ummm - could we have an update of where things currently stand with Pirates?  I'm not exactly sure how to comment without knowing the current status.  But yeah, regardless I hate to see you stop, but life gets us all sooner or later.

Yoshiboy

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 08:02:03 am »
Well, as far as pirates goes its pretty much functional. There are a few things that need cleaning up and a few bugs. Ship combat is pretty much fully working, no multi ship battles yet although there is support for it. I don't know how hard my code to follow but with a bit of help someone good at the module system should be able to finish it off. There are loads of WIPs and stuff that could be added onto. lots of potential. If you were to finish it off (putting it into a playable state, not adding all the extra stuff I wanted to) then probably the only thing that really needs doing is lots of bug fixing, commenting out some unfinished or not much stated stuff and completing ship combat for multipal ships.

To be honest I'm not sure M&B would even run it with multipal ships, it still stuggles to run and usually crashes when some of the bigger ships are fighting. It might not be worth finishing it off.

As far as RPGmod goes porting that would be amazing. I have actually done ALOT for RPGmod and I know that what i have done would be fun to play even if the thing isn't finished. In that respect it is different to pirates. The main problem with RPGmod is that I have several hundred mission templates, of which the format has to be completely changed. Someone with some clever code or a good use of the find and replace tool might be able to pull it off but it won't be easy.

Its just a shame for me because the new release added so much which I wanted to add to RPGmod. I just don't think I have the time to implement some of those ideas.

Thats a good offer Highlander and If I go through with this it would be really appreciated :)

Apollon-04

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2007, 02:53:48 pm »
I agree with realasing Pirates! in its current state, but I'm not sure about RPGMod. If its not converted top .808 yet, I'd keep working on it. But if Pirates! is pretty much done, go ahead and release it.

Pellidon

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2007, 05:11:20 pm »
that's unfortunate news, but at least we will get some releases out of the deal. taking a break and releasing is better than letting them die away due to lack of interest on your part, good call on that. i'm sure there's enough content to keep us hungry fans content for a good while.

Albino

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2007, 07:14:21 pm »
I'd redownload .751 just to play RPGmod. But my advice is release the source and eventually someone will port it.

Yoshiboy

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2007, 02:17:54 am »
Ok. I'll be releasing both shortly.

For RPGmod I've ported the resources but not the module system. That'll save people some time.

Brigadier Hussey

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2007, 03:23:57 am »
That's a shame Yoshi, I know how you feel though. Hopefully you'll pick up at least one of them again after your A levels and if the next version of M&B is worthwhile, I must say that a lot of my motivation did vanish after .808 was released.

Boy_suicide

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2007, 04:55:53 am »
AGHHH!!!
I was hoping it wouldn't be Yoshi that posted this topic but some lowly n00b who doesn't know how to spell 'release' and wants to play Pirates! quick, so he just requested a release in the current state... O_O
Oh well, real life always comes first. Score some nice grades then consider coming back at the summer. Really, I don't think anyone would mind a release right now (many would actually be happy, methinks ._.; ), so long as the community fixes bugs and adds the WIP stuff as the mod progresses. As it is now, it's more than enough to be a complete mod, I think. Kudos for making it this far, Yoshi ^_^
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 06:14:04 am by Boy_suicide »

LionNinja

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2007, 06:12:14 am »
I've just been reading through everything to catch up and i'm sorry to hear that Yoshi, it's hard when life gets in the way, but then it wouldn't be life if it didn't. I really did like the looks of these 2 mods, are you going to release them as open source in the hopes someone may take over the pleasure of completing 2 very awesome looking mods?

Boy_suicide

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2007, 03:37:14 am »
I sorta *doubt* that anyone else will continue these, and if someone does, it HAS to be Yoshi. Nobody can match his skill in modding. >.>;
Is fishing fully implemented? Somehow, I'm annoyingly giddy about fishing. Ship&Hook.
When you say you'll be releasing both shortly, do you mean the actual mods, the source, or both? Just a bit fretful. I've been up all night (partly because the hotel rooms in Bucharest are pretty cold, and our rooms have windows directly connecting to the gym, and some basketball players were playing at 1 AM) waiting for a crack at Pirates!. =P

Tuckles

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2007, 04:08:50 am »
Actually, I, too, am interested in fishing, as well as that top-down ship to ship combat Yoshi's done. Just those two would probably be impossible to any other modder. Methinks Yoshi is a god amongst men.

Anyway, no comment, it's your decision Yoshi, I'll just wait for the outcome.

Paradukes

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2007, 10:16:22 am »
Although I hate to see developement cease in its current state, I'm still really looking forward to playing the mod at last... Anyway, if you release the mod, Yoshi, all the people playing it and praising you for it might motivate you to continue developement when you have less pressure  ;)