Author Topic: Onin no Ran FAQ  (Read 78900 times)

Kasemacher

Re: Onin no Ran FAQ
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2007, 08:48:29 PM »

Offline Ichimonji Hidetora

• Master
    • View Profile
"The arrow which felled the boar... belonged to Lord Ichimonji. Drink to him!"

Kasemacher

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2007, 09:19:08 PM »
I think it's the former, because the book I posted had a review or summary that said the book explained, in detail, the aspects of samurai fighting and training.  I guess we'll have to wait until one of us either buys the books, or wait for rider to reply.

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2007, 09:26:27 PM »
I think it's the former, because the book I posted had a review or summary that said the book explained, in detail, the aspects of samurai fighting and training.  I guess we'll have to wait until one of us either buys the books, or wait for rider to reply.

Well i hope we will get a reply soon, i'm always interested in books about samurai and their weapons, finding really good books that i don't have yet is getting difficult.
I would like to know if it's worth my time (most books are not).

Offline fujiwara

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2007, 09:27:27 AM »
Tony Bryant holds this guy in high regard, so he comes highly recommended.

The horses tend to get their legs caught in the catapult rather than being properly launched.

Kasemacher

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2007, 02:29:25 PM »
Quoted from Anthony (Tony) Bryant when someone asked about Karl Friday

Quote from: Samurai Archives Forums
Karl is one of the best scholars around on the rise of the samurai. I'd put him in the top five in terms of American historians of Japan right now.

Varley, Mass, Friday, Goble, and Farris are *the* names.

Tony

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2007, 04:03:59 PM »
Thanks guys! :)

That's helpfull information, i trust Bryant's opinion.

rider

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2007, 12:27:47 PM »

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2007, 04:31:15 PM »
It looks like i guessed right about what book it was :D

Kasemacher

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2007, 04:22:28 AM »
Since I have access to a local college's online library, I can view some e-books that have very good information.

I was able to view "Legacies of the Sword: The Kashima-Shinryu and Samurai Martial Culture" by Karl Friday

Description:

Warfare in early medieval Japan was deeply linked to the social structure. Examining the causes and conduct of military operations informs and enhances our understanding of the tenth to fourteenth centuries - the formative age of the Samurai.
A thorough and informative review, this study highlights the complex causal relationships between the structures and sources of early medieval political power, technology, and the conduct of war.

"The Culture of Civil War in Kyoto" by Mary Elizabeth Berry.

This has a big section having to do with the Onin War, however, it is very difficult to read.  She seems to use too many big words perhaps in an attempt to flaunt her literary skill.

An excerpt:

Nonetheless, both law and shogunal authority functioned best in support of prior negotiations about power, for medieval government retained the character of private accommodation. The shogun and his counselors, the great provincial families, and the local vassals of those families acted within a universe of mutual dependency whose members were variously ascendant and only fitfully aligned. A shogun's pronouncement about a family headship, let us say, might mean very little without the assent of both a man's peers and his formidable armed vassals. And in exercising the considerable prerogatives of his office, that head ruled successfully only when he balanced adroitly the expectations of lord, peer, and vassal.

"Yoshimasa and the Silver Pavilion: The Creation of the Soul of Japan" by Donald Keene

Has a fair bit of good information about the Onin War, and is much easier to read.  However, it focuses more on the Shogun Ashikaga Yoshimasa than the participants in the war.

An excerpt:

Forgive the formatting on the last one.  But you can see it's a much easier, less dry read.

However, if anyone really wants to read about the Onin War, you might want to try "The Onin War: History of Its Origins and Background with a Selective Translation of 'The Chronicle of Onin'" by H. Paul Varley.  However, the pricetag is hefty, usually costing $60.00-$80.00.  It's often considered to be the best English source on the Onin War.

I'm buying my copy on Monday, and I don't mind buying the book because I plan on majoring in Japanese studies, and it will be a good source if I ever have to write about the war.

(Hope no one minds this off-topic chatter :P.)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 04:24:51 AM by Kasemacher »

Sheogorath

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2007, 12:33:09 PM »
(Hope no one minds this off-topic chatter :P.
We had an extensive discussion on the merits of knights vs. samurai and the arrow-stopping qualities of silk in other topics.  Fuji isnt too picky about that sort of thing ;)

Offline fujiwara

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2007, 08:50:04 AM »
It's not off-topic, really. Historical discussion is very helpful to this mod. We had a Historical Discussion thread back at oninran.thorned.nl. Don't know why it didn't occur to me to start one here.

The horses tend to get their legs caught in the catapult rather than being properly launched.

Kasemacher

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2007, 11:39:41 AM »
I received my book on the Onin War today, and I'm going to start reading it, I'll let you guys know anything that I learn that is interesting and/or useful.

Gloranor

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2008, 03:34:28 PM »
Probably not a "frequently" asked question... but anyway:

Under what condition are which songs played? 1,2&3 (script? 268435459) seem to be normal combat, but sometimes other music is (the 268435458 ones) is played during combat as well...

(The music sounds very nice, but personally, I prefer faster/heavier music during battle)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 03:58:23 PM by Gloranor »

behemoth

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2008, 08:39:39 PM »
 Hey :-)

First of all i wish to tell you i'm new to this mod and i really enjoy the job you've done.
It's most impressive.

But i tend to stuck in the gameplay time after time.
You se i used to play Band of Warriors, Crusade, M&B expanded gameplay mods and they are pretty easy to master, a lot of common stuff, etc.

Of course the historical Japan mod supposed to be different in ways (and so it is)

But sometime i just statring to bump my head to a wall.

For example,It took me 2 days of play to figure out that you can actually hire troops in the inn :-))
Sounds funny, heh?

I managed to fing myself only 3 dojo even though i finally cheated and started to teleport myself from town to town (i wanted to follow path of kengo)

I can't understand unit upgrade logic.
Some units i can upgrade, the other - the exactly same ones - i can't.
I see, there could be some logic in it, but i can hardly mange to figure it out

Is there a place i can look for some answers?

P.S. Sorry for my poor English, it's not my mothertoung