Author Topic: Onin no Ran FAQ  (Read 77228 times)

Offline fujiwara

• View Profile
Onin no Ran FAQ
« on: April 20, 2007, 04:01:17 PM »
Onin no Ran Total Conversion Mod for Mount & Blade FAQ, v1.0

Onin no Ran Development Team:

Original Concept: Manji
Past Project Leaders: Aradhan, CuriousEpic
Current Project Leader, scripting/code, integration: Fujiwara
Models, Textures: Triglav, Ryuta, Stefano, and many others! (Thanks to all!)
Original Music: Omega
Realistic Combat Model: Ron Losey

Acknowledgements:
Armagan and Ipek, creators of Mount & Blade
The modding community of M&B, but specifically Thorgrim, YoshiBoy, and Winter
All the players who have submitted ideas, bug reports, and much praise and encouragement. Without you, this mod would be nothing.

1. What is this anyway?

Onin no Ran is a historically-based Japanese mod set during the Onin War (1467-1477 AD) in the region around Kyoto. During this period, the Hosokawa and Yamana clans supported opposing heirs to the shogunate, and hence control of the country. Numerous smaller clans allied themselves with either of the two main clans, and other groups, such as the Ikko Ikki, made their initial appearance. It was the beginning of the Sengoku Jidai, or Age of Battles, that sent Japan into over a century of never-ending conflicts.

2. What is there to do?

Players in this mod can assume one of four main classes: a bushi, or military caste; a kuge, or aristocrat; a merchant; a ronin, or masterless samurai. During the course of the game, depending on the choices the player makes, a character can also assume one of the subclasses: a kengo, or highly skilled swordsman; a bandit; a monk; or a shinobi. Each main class will explore the various sides of the conflict during the Onin War through quests and dialog with various NPCs. Subclassing gives the player the opportunity to delve deeper into the story, and opens up various side quests which will impact the main story line.

3. Shinobi? You mean ninja? Awesome! Will I be able to fly around and kill people and stuff?

Onin no Ran is historically based. Given the lack of hard historical data regarding the practitioners of ninjitsu, and the dearth of myths, half-truths, and outright falsehoods regarding them, we are going to be very conservative with shinobi, relegating them to highly trained scouts, spies, and assassins.

4. Classes

A. Bushi

Bushi begin the game with 'entry-level combat' equipment, meaning some armor, decent weapons, a horse, and some food. Bushi also begin already aligned with one of the game's two main factions. Ostensibly, a bushi would already be a retainer of some higher official, but players must engage in a 'proving' mission before assuming full retainer status. Once a retainer, players are commanded to complete a number of quests for their shugo, or lord. Players will increase in rank as their fame increase (more about fame later) and their personal armies grow. In fact, army size is a pre-requisite for rank advancement. Historical samurai were paid a stipend by the shogunate, but in return they were expected to provide a set number of armed retainers when they went to battle, and we have tried to emulate that here. Key storyline quests will advance the story and provide additional opportunities for fame and glory (and money!).

B. Kuge

The kuge are the hereditary aristocratic class of Japan. As such, their role in the game is much more passive than a bushi's, tending more toward diplomacy than combat. However, because of their station, players start the game with a small retinue and the ability to command a large number of men. They also start out being the most financially stable, though whether that remains is up to the players. Kuge are not totally insulated from the fighting, and the opposing clans will call upon the players to use their armies to aid their respective causes.

C. Merchant

Merchants in Japan are like merchants anywhere else in the world, in any time period: people looking to make money. We have expanded merchants from simple commodity traders to being able to sell on the open market, with varying levels of success. Player began with a modest inventory of trade goods. Simply speak to the town kokujin, or administrator, to set up your portable stall and start selling. There is (or will be) a full series of quests exploring the economic side of the Onin War, as the this is where the Japanese merchant class began its rise to economic power. Trading guilds, or za, each had a monopoly over a particular commodity. The salt, oil and silver za were particularly active in the region around Kyoto, and the game will focus on the activities and interactions of these three za. Through quests, players will be invited to join one of the za, but be careful, as dealing in za-specific commodities when not a member of the za will bring their wrath down on your head. To support all this, we have developed one of the more complicated economic systems seen in a game, given the limitations of the scripting engine (more on that later).

D. Ronin

Ronin were, simply, masterless samurai. The player begins with only a sword, clothes, and a little money, but higher than average skills. Various groups, good and evil, always have need for skill with a blade, and players will be able to hire themselves out to make their way through the world, or they can swear alligience to one of the main factions and regain bushi status. Only ronin are given the choice to join the bandit faction, and have the opportunity to completely destabilize the region, or carve out their own little empire (coming soon).

5. Systems

A. Economy

Onin no Ran contains one of the more complicated economic systems seen in a game. Village farmers will sell their goods at market, bringing home cash to support the village garrison and an onerous tax burden, while travelling merchants go from city to city, turning the region's economic engine. Tax collectors will go from town to town, taking money and sowing discontent. Prices for goods rise and fall with the season, as demand shifts, or in response to social conditions. As with any real-life economy, the base resides in agricultural production, and in Japan this means rice. During the Onin War, rice was the main trade good, and taxes were assessed in actual rice product. The unit of measurement was the koku, or bushel, then defined as the amount of rice one man required to survive one year. Currency was derived in rice-equivalents, with one ryou of gold (a measure of weight, not a coin) equal to one koku of rice. The currency used in the game is the mon, a small copper coin with an exchange rate of 360 mon to one ryou of gold. Other currency, such as the silver momme and the gold koban, were in use, and these will appear as trade items to be converted by a series of moneyleaders (for a small fee, of course). The mechanism by which all this takes place are the travelling farmers and peddlers, so interfering with them can have a serious economic impact.

B. Dojo

The dojo in Onin no Ran provide a system of training in the game, for both players and the companion NPCs. They are also the gateway to becoming a kengo, the famed swordsmen of Japan. Various quests will surround the dojo, and they are planned to become a major side-story to the game. They also provide access to the system of dueling, where unique weapons and armor can be obtained.

C. Fame

Fame is the means by which characters advance in Onin no Ran. Fame can be gained by defeating parties larger than yours in combat or performing tasks for various people. Fame can also be lost, by losing fights or actively harassing the innocent. Lose too much fame, and people will be on the hunt for your head.

6. Getting started

A. Bushi

The player starts near South Kyoto. The Hosokawa/Yamana daimyo will not see you without an invitation, so the player must find one of the regional shugo, or lords, to get an invitation from. Once you get an audience with the daimyo, he will assign you a quest to prove yourself before giving you full retainer status. Once complete, he will assign you a shugo (pay attention to which one!), to whom you will report for orders, quests, and from whom you can recruit troops for your army.

B. Kuge

The kuge starts out similarly to the bushi, but once in the employ of one of the shugo, is assigned different quests to fulfill. Since combat is still the best way to increase one's fame, players must seek out on their own battles to fight.

C. Merchant

The merchant starts out near Kyoto with a modest inventory of trade goods and weapons suitable for taking prisoners. A few towns and cities will have individuals who deal specifically in prisoners, and the forced labor trade can be lucrative, if dangerous. Speak with all the merchants you meet, as some will have quests for you that will lead to an invitation to join one of the za.

D. Ronin

Ronin begin the game with an uchi-gatana, some clothes, food, and a few mon. On the upside, the world is wide open. The best way to start is to pick up a few NPCs and then go talk to the Sanda village kokujin about his bandit problem.

8. NPCs

There are (currently) five npcs that will join the player:

A. Haruko - a young village defender from Itami, Haruko starts out very inexperienced. Armed with a naginata, she is good against one or two unarmored opponents, but larger groups will take her down easily. She will join your party for free.

B. Tsuruhiro - a middle-aged ronin drinking himself into oblivion in the inn at Nara. When sober, he is an excellent archer and decent swordman. Plus, he's free, so he provides some sorely needed ranged ability early in the game.

C. Akikane - an arrogant samurai, but somewhat deserving of his boast; his skill with the bow is high. Unfortunately, that's all he's good at, and at close range, he will require back up. He will join your party for one quiver of plain ya.

D. Shinbo - a Zen Buddhist monk of the Tendai sect. A poor close range fighter, he has some skill with thrown weapons, and carries a supply of blunt tekko with him. His real skills lie in his healing abilities, which will keep you party fighting longer and heathier. He will join your party in exchange for a Tendai charm. Speak with the merchants in the towns near the temple about them.

E. Yamamatsu - one of the Kengo, a master swordsman. His price is high: the Sharp Wave, forged by the swordsmith in Aioi. However, once he has it, he is worth a hundred samurai on the battlefield.

8. Terms

Onin no Ran uses many Japanese terms unfamiliar to most players.

Weapons:

uchi-gatana - The forerunner of the katana. Essentially a side weapon, to be used when other weapons (yari, naginata) cease to be effective. Not quite three feet in length, with a curved, single-edged blade.

tachi - the standard cavalry sword. It's a longer version of the uchi-gatana (or rather, the uchi-gatana is a short tachi). 3 - 4 feet in length.

no-dachi - a longer, thicker version of the tachi, these were less common because of the difficulty in forging them.

o-dachi - The behemoth of Japanese swords, o-dachi occasionally reached 5 feet in length, and were equivalent in function to the European greatsword. Very difficult to produce, these were rare. Very effective as an anti-cavalry weapon.

yari - The spear. Equipped with a long, double-edged blade, these were frequently used to cut as well as thrust. This was the preferred weapon of the samurai because of its range and armor-piercing power. The spearheads came in a variety of shapes, the most distinctive of which was the jumonji-yari, which was cross-shaped and sharpened on all edges.

yumi - The bow. The samurai were originally horse archers, and so skill with the bow is highly prized.

The Japanese yumi is unique in its asymmetrical design, which allowed the short-statured Japanese to achieve a high-powered bow.

ya - arrows, equipped with a number of different types of heads

naginata - essentially an uchi-gatana blade on a pole. These weapons were highly effective against both cavalry and infanty, and were used with great effect by Japanese women to defend their homes against attackers. Do not let its designation as a "woman's weapon" fool you: teams of women armed with these an decimate hostile forces twice their size.

bo - a staff. Comes in a variety of lengths and materials.

jo - Ceremonial monk's staff

ono - general-purpose axe, used mainly for chopping wood.

masaraki - the Japanese battle-axe. A favorite of the yamabushi, the wandering warrior-monks.

tetsubo - a short wooden staff with one end sheathed in iron and covered with large iron studs. Devestating in combat, but very slow and heavy.

Armor

dou - lit. 'body', a dou is the body armor proper, consisting of the breast and back. Breast protection alone is called a hara-ate.

sode - lit 'sleeve', shoulder guards. The large, square guards found on the famous o-yoroi are called o-sode.

kote- arm protection

suneate - shin guards

kabuto - helmet

9. Miscellania

1. Why 'bushi'?

The word 'samurai' is derived from 'saberu', which means 'to serve'. Samurai were military servants. Thus, 'samurai' is a job-title, not a social class. The bushi, or more properly, 'buke', were the military class of feudal Japan that came to power following the Gempei Wars of the 12th C.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 05:51:41 PM by fujiwara »

The horses tend to get their legs caught in the catapult rather than being properly launched.

Tuckles

Re: Onin no Ran FAQ
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 11:56:06 PM »
... With(out?) you, this mod would be nothing. ...

Minor typo, fuji?

Offline fujiwara

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 05:52:10 PM »
Uh, yeah. My brain generally runs faster than my fingers  ::)

The horses tend to get their legs caught in the catapult rather than being properly launched.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 05:35:20 AM »
Here's a new by-line or subtitle to go with the mod.

-------------------------------------------------------

The beginning of the Onin War ... Japan was having a major bad-heir day.

There were two kinds of people in Japan - those who owned sharp swords, and those who ate millet.

Tuckles

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 10:53:42 PM »
Here's a new by-line or subtitle to go with the mod.

-------------------------------------------------------

The beginning of the Onin War ... Japan was having a major bad-heir day.

There were two kinds of people in Japan - those who owned sharp swords, and those who ate millet.

No offense Ron, but those are incredibly corny.  :lol:

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 10:59:58 PM »
Well, no ... the first one was incredibly corny.  ::)

The second one was just a fact.  :-\

thecorinthian

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 02:20:43 PM »
Could you explain the different troop types? Its hard to choose between troop type upgrades when you have absolutely no idea what they are.

DudeWheresMyTank

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 03:13:11 PM »
the troop types are at http://mbx.streetofeyes.com/index.php/topic,327.0.html

They're pretty self explanatory. All troop types higher than "Samurai" have red/blue leather armor and use the weapons indicated in their names. higher level troops will get better armor, but usually only melee oriented mounted troops (kihei) get heavier armor than leather. Exceptions are:

keikihei - horse archer with more emphasis on melee weapons than "yumi kihei"
juukihei - uses swords
naginata kihei - seems to almost never use naginata, and pulls swords instead even though their polearm proficiency is better. i would use juukihei instead
umamawari - just like juukihei but better armored
the far left line of foot soldiers all use swords and can get throwing shuriken as well. kensei can somtimes get o-yoroi armor and become tanks, but i prefer umamawari as they don't take as long to upgrade. Kensei takes a LONG LONG LONG LONG time to get and generally not worth it. Their pay is also outrageous but their sword proficiency is 600 and they have good powerstrike and some powerthrow

there really aren't any good archery troops. even yumi bushi have crappy stats
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 03:21:46 PM by DudeWheresMyTank »

Roka

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 02:38:49 PM »
hello there

love the mod, it really is great, feudal japan is a keen interest of mine as of late, i am currently reading the novel shogun

just thought i'd chance my luck, can anyone tell me were to find yamamatsu and akikane  :?:

rider

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 09:00:06 AM »

Offline fujiwara

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 12:26:18 PM »
True, in previous versions the Yumi Ashigaru were, pound for pound, the best archers, if you consider cost, availability, and training time. The next version is going to make serious improvments to the yumi samurai/yumi bushi troops to make up for the higher cost and longer training time.

Traditionally, yari were the main weapons of ashigaru. With the vast AI improvments in .89x, they will finally be able to serve in their role as anti-cavalry troops. I'm looking forward to lining up some yari ashigaru a few paces in front of the yumi ashigaru on a shallow hill and watch the enemy cavalry (mounted bandits and brigands) get mowed down, either by the archers or the spearmen  >:D

rider

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2007, 01:55:58 AM »
Ah yes, that would be a nice watch. The new commands will help very much in that. The ten paces forward and backward will be excellent and the formation adds will make it look like war now. That added, I hope you will only make the Yumi Samurai and Bushi stronger and not the Yumi Ashigaru weaker (since the archer AI has at least now some serious troubles with itself).

Offline Ichimonji Hidetora

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2007, 09:21:27 AM »
Traditionally, the yumi was the main weapon used by ashigaru, the Taiheiki says so as it mentions ashigaru for the first time in history: "shashu no ashigaru" (ashigaru shooters). they were used some time around 1350AD if my memory serves me well.
However, by the time of the Onin war, pole-arms were becomming popular... imho the number of yumi and yari ashigaru are well balanced in the Onin no Ran mod.
If anything, the mounted samurai could be better balanced, during the Onin jidai, long bladed yari were used a lot, i miss that in this mod.

To say the yari ashigaru are useless may be true for your own army (part of the reason why i never have an army), but whenever i end up surrounded by enemy yari ashigaru while riding my horse and using my bow... i can suddenly see how dangerous and annoying they can be :green:
So they are already good against cavalry, but it's good to hear the AI of the yari ashigaru will be improved :)
"The arrow which felled the boar... belonged to Lord Ichimonji. Drink to him!"

rider

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2007, 09:44:11 AM »
Yes. But in a sense I feel it is logical that Yumi beat them for the cost. The bow gives a natural superiority over any sidearm...

NB! Has anyone of you read the works of Karl Friday on Medieval Japanese combat and weaponry? I've got one book and it shows me all the weapons (and the different swords) rather well. I am not sure if I've found them all in the mod but I suppose not...

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2007, 06:21:24 PM »
The bow gives a natural superiority over any sidearm...

That's why i use a bow myself :D

NB! Has anyone of you read the works of Karl Friday on Medieval Japanese combat and weaponry? I've got one book and it shows me all the weapons (and the different swords) rather well. I am not sure if I've found them all in the mod but I suppose not...

No, and i could not find it on Amazon, would you have a link to the book by any chance?

Kasemacher

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2007, 08:48:29 PM »

• Master
    • View Profile

Kasemacher

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2007, 09:19:08 PM »
I think it's the former, because the book I posted had a review or summary that said the book explained, in detail, the aspects of samurai fighting and training.  I guess we'll have to wait until one of us either buys the books, or wait for rider to reply.

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2007, 09:26:27 PM »
I think it's the former, because the book I posted had a review or summary that said the book explained, in detail, the aspects of samurai fighting and training.  I guess we'll have to wait until one of us either buys the books, or wait for rider to reply.

Well i hope we will get a reply soon, i'm always interested in books about samurai and their weapons, finding really good books that i don't have yet is getting difficult.
I would like to know if it's worth my time (most books are not).

Offline fujiwara

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2007, 09:27:27 AM »
Tony Bryant holds this guy in high regard, so he comes highly recommended.

Kasemacher

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2007, 02:29:25 PM »
Quoted from Anthony (Tony) Bryant when someone asked about Karl Friday

Quote from: Samurai Archives Forums
Karl is one of the best scholars around on the rise of the samurai. I'd put him in the top five in terms of American historians of Japan right now.

Varley, Mass, Friday, Goble, and Farris are *the* names.

Tony

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2007, 04:03:59 PM »
Thanks guys! :)

That's helpfull information, i trust Bryant's opinion.

rider

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2007, 12:27:47 PM »

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2007, 04:31:15 PM »
It looks like i guessed right about what book it was :D

Kasemacher

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2007, 04:22:28 AM »
Since I have access to a local college's online library, I can view some e-books that have very good information.

I was able to view "Legacies of the Sword: The Kashima-Shinryu and Samurai Martial Culture" by Karl Friday

Description:

Warfare in early medieval Japan was deeply linked to the social structure. Examining the causes and conduct of military operations informs and enhances our understanding of the tenth to fourteenth centuries - the formative age of the Samurai.
A thorough and informative review, this study highlights the complex causal relationships between the structures and sources of early medieval political power, technology, and the conduct of war.

"The Culture of Civil War in Kyoto" by Mary Elizabeth Berry.

This has a big section having to do with the Onin War, however, it is very difficult to read.  She seems to use too many big words perhaps in an attempt to flaunt her literary skill.

An excerpt:

Nonetheless, both law and shogunal authority functioned best in support of prior negotiations about power, for medieval government retained the character of private accommodation. The shogun and his counselors, the great provincial families, and the local vassals of those families acted within a universe of mutual dependency whose members were variously ascendant and only fitfully aligned. A shogun's pronouncement about a family headship, let us say, might mean very little without the assent of both a man's peers and his formidable armed vassals. And in exercising the considerable prerogatives of his office, that head ruled successfully only when he balanced adroitly the expectations of lord, peer, and vassal.

"Yoshimasa and the Silver Pavilion: The Creation of the Soul of Japan" by Donald Keene

Has a fair bit of good information about the Onin War, and is much easier to read.  However, it focuses more on the Shogun Ashikaga Yoshimasa than the participants in the war.

An excerpt:

Forgive the formatting on the last one.  But you can see it's a much easier, less dry read.

However, if anyone really wants to read about the Onin War, you might want to try "The Onin War: History of Its Origins and Background with a Selective Translation of 'The Chronicle of Onin'" by H. Paul Varley.  However, the pricetag is hefty, usually costing $60.00-$80.00.  It's often considered to be the best English source on the Onin War.

I'm buying my copy on Monday, and I don't mind buying the book because I plan on majoring in Japanese studies, and it will be a good source if I ever have to write about the war.

(Hope no one minds this off-topic chatter :P.)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 04:24:51 AM by Kasemacher »

Sheogorath

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2007, 12:33:09 PM »
(Hope no one minds this off-topic chatter :P.
We had an extensive discussion on the merits of knights vs. samurai and the arrow-stopping qualities of silk in other topics.  Fuji isnt too picky about that sort of thing ;)

Offline fujiwara

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2007, 08:50:04 AM »
It's not off-topic, really. Historical discussion is very helpful to this mod. We had a Historical Discussion thread back at oninran.thorned.nl. Don't know why it didn't occur to me to start one here.

Kasemacher

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2007, 11:39:41 AM »
I received my book on the Onin War today, and I'm going to start reading it, I'll let you guys know anything that I learn that is interesting and/or useful.

Gloranor

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2008, 03:34:28 PM »
Probably not a "frequently" asked question... but anyway:

Under what condition are which songs played? 1,2&3 (script? 268435459) seem to be normal combat, but sometimes other music is (the 268435458 ones) is played during combat as well...

(The music sounds very nice, but personally, I prefer faster/heavier music during battle)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 03:58:23 PM by Gloranor »

behemoth

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2008, 08:39:39 PM »
 Hey :-)

First of all i wish to tell you i'm new to this mod and i really enjoy the job you've done.
It's most impressive.

But i tend to stuck in the gameplay time after time.
You se i used to play Band of Warriors, Crusade, M&B expanded gameplay mods and they are pretty easy to master, a lot of common stuff, etc.

Of course the historical Japan mod supposed to be different in ways (and so it is)

But sometime i just statring to bump my head to a wall.

For example,It took me 2 days of play to figure out that you can actually hire troops in the inn :-))
Sounds funny, heh?

I managed to fing myself only 3 dojo even though i finally cheated and started to teleport myself from town to town (i wanted to follow path of kengo)

I can't understand unit upgrade logic.
Some units i can upgrade, the other - the exactly same ones - i can't.
I see, there could be some logic in it, but i can hardly mange to figure it out

Is there a place i can look for some answers?

P.S. Sorry for my poor English, it's not my mothertoung

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2008, 08:49:38 PM »
The troops that don't upgrade are a complex mess of faction and neutral troops with the same names, some of whom upgrade and some do not.  We're aware it could be a problem ... potential solutions have been discussed, but not yet implemented.

The Dojo locations are S. Kyoto, Yodo, Hikone, Imazu, Iga, Oe, Oya, and Haga. (Unless there were changes in the last version that I don't know about yet.)  I'm sure those have been listed around here in a few places before, but it was easier to retype than to look for them.

behemoth

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2008, 09:01:26 PM »
The troops that don't upgrade are a complex mess of faction and neutral troops with the same names, some of whom upgrade and some do not.  We're aware it could be a problem ... potential solutions have been discussed, but not yet implemented.

The Dojo locations are S. Kyoto, Yodo, Hikone, Imazu, Iga, Oe, Oya, and Haga. (Unless there were changes in the last version that I don't know about yet.)  I'm sure those have been listed around here in a few places before, but it was easier to retype than to look for them.

Yep i managed to figure it out with the first part - resqued troops i could upgrade, as well a troops i got from a fraction after i sight in.
But the ones i recruit in the inns - are capable of advancing only the half way.
I just was not sure if it's a proper behavior or jst a bug

I wonder if there is a way to make them to differ somehow.

Gor example  - i want to disband half of my heavy cavalry, but i can't tell wich part of them are capable to transform later to , let's say umamawari, so i just take chances

And thank you for a dojo list , i'm  going to test it now :-)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 10:14:51 PM by behemoth »

Offline fujiwara

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2008, 10:19:48 PM »
Heavy cavalry with no upgrade options will not show any upgrade options on the screen, while those that can will show either Juu-kihei or Naginata Kihei on the screen.

sdog

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2008, 06:35:35 AM »
In earlier versions of M&B (i think 8.08 and before) troops were hired in the inns. So it never was a question where to look for fresh troops, for players who started ONR back then. But now it should probably be mentioned. I suppose there will be a larger influx of new players in september, when M&B goes 1.0, maybe a good time to overwork help and readmes?

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2008, 08:11:37 AM »
Well, if and when we get around to taking full advantage of the integrated online help, as seen in .90x Native, we can deal with a lot of the instructions in-game.  But that is still features waiting to be implemented.

Before we get to any kind of a final version, all help and instruction-related files will be in place.  But this is still version 0.6.4 - just over half of where it is planned to go eventually.  So that could be a little premature, don't you think?

behemoth

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2008, 05:00:15 PM »
Ok another lazy noob question , if i may.

I'm not as good with the name as i supposed to , so i have a really had time finding NPC companions.
I'm testing mostly now, i i really don't want to play hide and seek with them.

I managed to find naginat girl (she is easy to remembet) and a monk (for an obvios reason he is in monastery), some times i bumb into a loneny ronin and once i found an archer guy (he asked for a pack of Ya, odd, since he has much better arrows in his inventory)

Can someboy please tell me how many NPC companions are currently in ONR and where are they (excluding Dojo guys)

Thanks in advance.

Offline fujiwara

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2008, 05:20:26 PM »
You found them all except Yamamatsu, in the Nose inn. He requires a fancy sword (quest involved)

Offline Shik

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2009, 01:09:06 PM »
Hey, what do I do with the letter of introduction to Hosokawa?

I was told to find a certain Hosokawa Katsumoto in Kyoto, but I can't find him anywhere in South Kyoto.

Frost1

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2009, 01:40:41 PM »
Well i read trough most of the stuff here and there's one question I'd like to ask : Why are the other parts of Kyoto closed ?

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2009, 09:59:30 PM »
Well i read trough most of the stuff here and there's one question I'd like to ask : Why are the other parts of Kyoto closed ?

They're not closed in the last release - you just have to go in through the south gate and then wander to the correct exit.

Originally, the problem was just not being ready.

Rexmundi

« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2009, 06:02:55 AM »
heya, I have a question about getting the zen monk to join you. he needs a tendai charm, (which can be gotten from merchants in towns around the temple) only problem is, i checked every merchant around, and none say anything about the charm, nor do they sell them.. Does anyone know where i can get it?

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2009, 07:32:40 AM »
heya, I have a question about getting the zen monk to join you. he needs a tendai charm, (which can be gotten from merchants in towns around the temple) only problem is, i checked every merchant around, and none say anything about the charm, nor do they sell them.. Does anyone know where i can get it?

Keep looking.  They don't say anything about it, but you will eventually find one in somebody's inventory for sale.  It's random ... but somebody will sell them.

Offline Conners

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2009, 04:17:16 PM »
If I may, I'd like to ask about the current status of the Blood-Loss Model in relation to this mod, and others.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2009, 04:30:14 PM »
If I may, I'd like to ask about the current status of the Blood-Loss Model in relation to this mod, and others.

It should be working ... if it was added back in after the port.  It was working in .90x before.

Wound something pretty seriously, and wait a couple of minutes, and see.

penguinking100

« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2009, 09:47:01 AM »
where do you recruit non inn troops ive tried doing the hokosawa (or whatever) faction joining quest but i get stuck in the conversation screen talking to Akamatsu Yoshitsuru in hemiji and can move on so im just running around with a bunch of ronin/samurai and peasants from inns, also, has any1 ever been able to recruit captured troops every time i try n recruit them they say they would rather a snake bite off their toe lol

Jareck

« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2009, 06:02:07 PM »
where do you recruit non inn troops ive tried doing the hokosawa (or whatever) faction joining quest but i get stuck in the conversation screen talking to Akamatsu Yoshitsuru in hemiji and can move on so im just running around with a bunch of ronin/samurai and peasants from inns, also, has any1 ever been able to recruit captured troops every time i try n recruit them they say they would rather a snake bite off their toe lol

Just started downloading for the newest version.

But my guess would be that you can't recruit them.

Because of the Japanese honour system being what it was.
After being captured by the enemy and losing your face, you sure as hell wouldn't start fighting for the army that captured you.

penguinking100

« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2009, 10:36:13 AM »
am i the only person who cant get past the conversation of when your assigned to a lord (and you go talk to him) after being accepted into a clan and doing the river pirate killing quest? (and its not the main lord is the lord ur assigned to who gets stuck in the conversation screen)

Offline fujiwara

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2009, 08:41:47 PM »
am i the only person who cant get past the conversation of when your assigned to a lord (and you go talk to him) after being accepted into a clan and doing the river pirate killing quest? (and its not the main lord is the lord ur assigned to who gets stuck in the conversation screen)

It's possible the dialog has a dead end. Please post any other bugs in the bug reports thread.