login

Author Topic: Realistic Combat Model  (Read 21167 times)

Tuckles

Re: Realistic Combat Model
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2007, 08:50:29 AM »
A few years late? Awww... Well I'll see that Mount and Blade is the god-game of Mars then.

[/end random ramblings]

Maybe you are.

You can always ask our opinions if there are too many choice y'know.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2007, 09:20:06 AM »
It's not the number of choices ... it's trying to make it all sound plausable.  That requires figuring out who is who in the mix of cultures and city-states, so that members of a particular group look somewhat alike.  (At least close enough to give the impression that they are somewhat alike, but without looking totally uniform.)

Tragically, this all really only makes complete sense inside ex_otto's head.  I'm kind of on the outside looking in.  I'm trying not to hijack his mod, because my personal style of creativity doesn't really improve the story, and I don't think we want to go there.   That's the weak link in the process.  We have to bounce information off of each other 500 times before we're on the same wavelength.

Adding another person who is on another wavelength entirely ... well, that would most certainly SLOW the process.  (If it's possible to get any slower, or any more frustrating.)

The irony of this is that I am a fair historian.  I could turn out all of this for most historical groups in a matter of minutes, probably from memory.  But, when it turns to fiction, I'm as lost as anybody.

Tuckles

« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2007, 09:29:13 AM »
Well, this is probably what you're doing, but I'll suggest it anyway.
Ask otto what he thinks all the cultures wear, a whole list, not just 1 type of armor. (ex. Sivas wears plate, chain, etc.)
Cross out anything that would be improbable, and then you have your list.

Pretty crude, I know, but elimination is always a good way to start.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2007, 09:54:03 AM »
We're going with more of a connect-the-dots approach.  Assign a primary heavy armor type to each group, and then add in secondary types that seem likely in context of the first.  (They use maille - odds are they also use some metal scale, and probably hardened leather brigandines or lamellars and/or leather scale, and quilted cloth, because that's what everybody who ever used maille did.  If they use metal brigandines, odds are they don't also use metal lamellars - because the two fill the same need, and pretty much nobody ever used both, at least not in any volume.  ...and so forth.)

Where it breaks down is in figuring out how certain groups are related to others, to try to decide if they would use mostly the same equipment as somebody else, or something entirely different.  That's a pain that just has to be worked through, and a literary problem rather than a technical or historical one.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2007, 06:29:06 AM »
General update for anyone still keeping track of this:

I sent ex_otto a first-round draft of the weapons and armor.  It's nowhere near as elaborate as I wanted to get with it, but as it looks like I'm going to be tied up with the "Optional RCM for TLD" project for a bit, I figured it best to get something out.  This will at least let ex_otto start on the new troop trees, and then look it over for desired feel and aesthetics.

Still no time estimates on when a test version will be ready.  However, the good news is that all basic graphics seem to be in place ... no more obvious placeholder graphics, at least not in the weapons or armor.  (Civilian clothing is not done, but that was not my department.... I never claimed to be a graphics artist.)  Items may be added or replaced later, but for now, the items match their stats.

Also, if I didn't totally screw up, the aesthetics of each group should be unique enough to identify.  I tried to get as close as I could to ex_otto's descriptions, given the limitations of what we were working with.  (Special thanks to Raz and the Holy War mod for a number of the armors and a few other items - he pretty much saved the aesthetic portion of this project.)  Some of the differences are subtle ... you may have to observe them for a while to pick up on the pattern.

Of course, there are likely bugs (incorrect stats, balance issues, you name it), but we'll find those in testing soon enough.

Anyway, for the record, the project is still pretty much on schedule.

Tuckles

« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2007, 10:05:51 AM »
Oh, so we'll see it once Mount&Blade 2 comes out.  :lol:

Seriously though, I haven't heard from otto in a while.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2007, 06:36:27 PM »
Oh, so we'll see it once Mount&Blade 2 comes out.  :lol:

Seriously though, I haven't heard from otto in a while.

I have.  He's still working on things.  Just that what we're working on is mostly happening by e-mail, so it doesn't generate a lot of activity on the forum.

Sunhawken

« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2007, 08:35:13 AM »
How about A multi hit system : Swing my sword tho a group of people and hit everybody in the path of my sword.

Swords that recoil and  Knot backs when on horse/ground.

But I'm guessing those 2 Turkish team makers will do all that in the future to come.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2007, 09:14:54 AM »
Hard code, man ... beyond my capabilities.