Author Topic: copying UV-coordinates?  (Read 5320 times)

Highlander

copying UV-coordinates?
« on: April 02, 2007, 04:13:31 PM »
Hi, once again I encountered an odd problem: I have several models with the same meshes, but different Unwraps, and I have to rig them all. Does anyone know if there is a workaround? Something like importing UV-coordinates or bone assignments?

octoburn

Re: copying UV-coordinates?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 06:52:23 PM »
I've never successfully rigged an armor (not for a lack of trying) but I think that's what "envelopes" are for, right? if it's the same mesh, I'd think you could export the envelopes once you've got one right, then import them for the rest? if I'm misinterpretting something, pretend you're a woman and completely ignore my existance  :P

Offline Ursca

• Deus Vult Dev
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 01:10:35 AM »
You could try changing the co-ordinates in max (I'm assuming you're using gmax).
If it's the same as 3dsmax, there should be an 'unwrap uv' modifier. If you enable that, press edit a uv editor should pop up.
You can enable the right background from the drop-down menu in the top right.

Offline Hellequin

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 09:50:09 AM »
One possible approach: the .smd format (the big part of it, after the initial 50 or so lines) would be readable by Excel as a text-delimited spreadsheet.  This would allow you to rig one version, export to .smd, import into Excel, yoink out the columns containing UV information; export the next one, import that to Excel, pull only the UV-coords columns, and swap that into the first one.  Copy-paste into .smd file, possibly massage whitespace, and you should be good to go.

Offline fujiwara

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 11:43:37 AM »
That's a horrible kludge, and you know it, Hellequin :D It'd probably work, though.

The horses tend to get their legs caught in the catapult rather than being properly launched.

Offline Hellequin

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 12:14:07 PM »
My mod contains 125 saints each of whom has 10-30 pieces of information stored, from a list compiled by volunteers.  How d'you think I got all that into set_slot format?  Excel (or OpenOffice Calc) plus find-replace is my very best friend.

Highlander

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 01:10:45 PM »
Thanks for the answers, Ursca, your one sounds pretty good, but Hellequin's as well, I'll give it a try.

Offline fujiwara

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 10:22:15 PM »
My mod contains 125 saints each of whom has 10-30 pieces of information stored, from a list compiled by volunteers.  How d'you think I got all that into set_slot format?  Excel (or OpenOffice Calc) plus find-replace is my very best friend.

I wrote some Python scripts to do exactly the same thing...they generate the gazillion triggers I need to initialize all 70 odd towns and information for 100+ items AND the 300+ NPCs. Just run, cut, and paste. I heart Python :D

The horses tend to get their legs caught in the catapult rather than being properly launched.