Should I move GM over to taleworlds?

Yes
13 (22.4%)
No
27 (46.6%)
I dont care
18 (31%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Galactic Mercenary! Moved To taleworlds!!!!!  (Read 140575 times)

aGorilla

Re: Galactic Mercenary! In need of new team members!!!
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2007, 01:37:15 pm »
Like the dagger, especially if it's limited to overhand 'Psycho' chops.

'Stupid killer robots' works for me.  Makes me think of the Star Wars storm troopers.  Always abundant, but mostly ineffective.

Like the hoverbike idea too -- ramped up like the horses in Mesoamerican (high speed, very maneuverable).  Should probably be low in armor, and it'd be nice if the rider took damage when they're knocked off (blunt? from ground impact?) if that's possible.

Quail

« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2007, 04:58:07 pm »
Davis_Andrews I drew up some concept art today for you.

It shows armor and and a rifle.

When I get home I'll scan it in and post it.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2007, 05:05:07 pm »

I'm guessing you are unfamiliar with actual knife combat from the underhand grip?

Apollon-04

« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2007, 05:13:18 pm »

'Stupid killer robots' works for me.  Makes me think of the Star Wars storm troopers.  Always abundant, but mostly ineffective.

Like the hoverbike idea too -- ramped up like the horses in Mesoamerican (high speed, very maneuverable).  Should probably be low in armor, and it'd be nice if the rider took damage when they're knocked off (blunt? from ground impact?) if that's possible.

Id have to work on a model of a hoverbike, not sure if i could do it. And no, i dont think you can even have a rider get knocked off a horse, soi i couldnt implement the damage thing.

Davisandrews, heres some guns to model. Remember to keep them realistic.

assualt rifles

Sniper Rifle

special gun (when you model this, model the hand with a black glove, so that the skin color wont be weird.)

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2007, 05:27:56 pm »
That multi-blade edged weapon there would get you killed.  That's just not going to work.  Weapons of similar design were used in India and nearby, but they were much lighter.  Much lighter.  Its size and weight would have to be reduced by about 80% to be effective.

aGorilla

« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2007, 05:45:31 pm »

I'm guessing you are unfamiliar with actual knife combat from the underhand grip?

To be honest, I'm a bit confused by the phrase 'underhand grip', so yeah, I'm hardly the local expert on it.  Does Apollon's pic depict an underhand grip?
I was just commenting on the first image that came to mind when I saw the picture, and that was the movie Psycho.

Id have to work on a model of a hoverbike, not sure if i could do it. And no, i dont think you can even have a rider get knocked off a horse, soi i couldnt implement the damage thing.

I'm not talking about knocking them off (knocking them off implies that the horse/bike lives, and moves on), I mean when the horse/bike is killed.  The animation of the guy falling to the ground would stay, just seems logical to take a few hit points for the fall -- taken at a speed that is presumably higher than your average horse. 

That said, I have no idea if there's a trigger that you can use to make that happen.  It was just a thought, the lack of it would hardly stop me from trying the mod.

Apollon-04

« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2007, 06:31:39 pm »
Ron losey, i don't understand what your saying. Are you saying they used that in ancient India? because this is probably lighter due to materials used, so i don't understand why it wouldn't work.

Quail

« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2007, 06:51:58 pm »
Ha ha nice, the assault rifle from AVP.

Here is my concept art:

http://www.freewebs.com/quailpilot/GMCA.JPG

Close up on the rifle he is carrying

http://www.freewebs.com/quailpilot/GMCARifle.JPG

did you get the two songs I sent you Apollon?

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2007, 08:47:16 pm »
Ron losey, i don't understand what your saying. Are you saying they used that in ancient India? because this is probably lighter due to materials used, so i don't understand why it wouldn't work.

Several variants on this design existed across India and China.  The most common was the Katar of India.  Some were simple single-blade daggers, and some were much more elaborate.  Some had secondary blades to the sides, usually intended to block a rapier in duels.

Here is a picture of a simple but well-made Katar.
http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/egallery/object.asp?object=11284&row=0&detail=scrapbook

The weapon in your post would be unusable.  Its size and bulk would make it too clumsy to attack with any speed and efficiency.  The width and offset of the blades would make it impossible to control in any kind of cutting motion.  The weapon's inertia would make it horribly clumsy in close quarters, and since it gives no real advantage in reach, it would also be at the mercy of longer blades.  This would all be compounded by the grip, which does not allow for movement in the wrist and hand, and so prevents the weapon from being precisely targeted.  It would repeatedly prove less combat-effective than a simple knife... anyone trying to use it would be killed immediately.

-----------------------------------------------------------

To be honest, I'm a bit confused by the phrase 'underhand grip', so yeah, I'm hardly the local expert on it.  Does Apollon's pic depict an underhand grip?
I was just commenting on the first image that came to mind when I saw the picture, and that was the movie Psycho.

The character in the post is holding the dagger in an underhand grip.  Although the hammer strike from "Psycho" is an option from this position, it is likely the least effective one, at least with a heavy blade like that.

The real power of an underhand grip is in long cuts.  I will explain by teaching.

First, find yourself a dagger.  if you don't have a real combat knife, go through the kitchen and get a chef's knife, or the most scary-looking butcher knife you can find.  Make sure it's sharp.  Then fill some 2 liter plastic soft drink bottles with water, and seal them - they will be your target dummies.

It might help to make a few slashes at one from a more common overhand grip, so you will have something to compare to.  Overhand slashes will seldom do much to a water bottle.

Then, with an underhand grip on the knife, line up on the bottle and swing a punch just to one side of the bottle - so that the cutting edge connects with the bottle and is dragged the entire length of the blade through the target.  If you do it right, it should tear the bottle in half like a machete.  It's a truly frightening demonstration of the cutting power of a relatively small knife.

Once you've tested it, you can adapt the concept to cuts from just about any angle or position.  The hammer-fist stab can be incorporated, especially in combination (cut across, stab when retracting).  It's amazingly versatile, and can be used under almost any conditions - even wrestling, should you be pulled to the ground.  Also, with only a slight motion of the fingers, the blade can be concealed behind the forearm ... greatly increasing the chance that your opponent won't realize you are armed.

Many Japanese forms for knives and short swords use this grip.  It was used by the United States Marines for decades, before being replaced about 5 or 6 years ago with a more common overhand knife grip (based on the Fairbairn and Stykes knife combat studies from the 1930's).  I, personally, think it was a mistake to completely abandon something that had been proven so effective by 6 generations of marines and 40 generations of Japanese samurai ... but that's just my opinion. 

It was also used with a very short hook knife, the kerambit, by the Indonesian art of Pentjat Silat.  Several modern military and police forces still study this, and it is a popular art among people seeking to learn self defense... although it tends to be a bit more brutal than police work and self-defense generally encourage.

Anyway, this is a very common technique for using a knife, at least among military (ancient and modern).  Hopefully that clears up what I was talking about.

Apollon-04

« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2007, 08:20:42 am »
Ha ha nice, the assault rifle from AVP.

Here is my concept art:

http://www.freewebs.com/quailpilot/GMCA.JPG

Close up on the rifle he is carrying

http://www.freewebs.com/quailpilot/GMCARifle.JPG

did you get the two songs I sent you Apollon?

I didnt get the two songs, did you send them via e-mail?

Also, since you can draw fairly well, could you maybe draw a picture to repace the existing main picture in mount& Blade. Im thinking a mercenary decked out in full armor, with his gun. Shooting wildly and screaming, like hes holding off a bunch of enemies by himself.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 08:22:48 am by Apollon-04 »

Quail

« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2007, 11:22:03 am »
Ya I sent it via email....

AIM won't work for me so...I have to figure something out...(actually I just did and I'll work on it)

Ok, I'll get to work on that guy of yours.

here is the other song

http://www.freewebs.com/quailpilot/hoverbike.mp3

right click on the link and click save as.

do it to the other one also
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 11:40:18 am by Quail »

Apollon-04

« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2007, 08:30:54 pm »
DavisAndrews, i was wondering if you could give us some screenshots of your guns. Im having trouble with my mod file, big time. Im redoeing everything, but since we havnt done too much, it should be easy.

Apollon-04

« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2007, 09:57:56 am »
Here's a screenshot of the weapons shop, just a roughdraft, and it took me about 10 minutes.
Also, does anyone have ideas for other races, besides battle robots? I figure we could have three races that are playable

Robots-Good with guns, not so much melee.
Humans- all around, not great at anything, not bad at anything either.
??-high str, good at melee

Also, does anyone know how to texture, because then we could start adding more items in-game.

I wanted to say something else, but  cant remember it, so ill edit this post later and add it in.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 08:17:28 am by Apollon-04 »

Quail

« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2007, 11:39:51 am »
I suggested cyborgs/humans with cybernetic implants earlier on.

I finished the drawing you wanted, and I'm on a quest to find a scanner.

Apollon-04

« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2007, 02:24:54 pm »
Yeah, i saw in warhammer 40000 that theres a doctor that can give the alien race new arms/legs. I want to try that with cyber arms for humans. Humans will be able to get low grade robot arms, and robots will be able to get upgraded arms too. What do you guys think about the merchants store?