Poll

Go fully open-source or maintain the current open-to-some policy?

Yes.
42 (93.3%)
No.
3 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: Should Craftmod go fully open-source? Vote here.  (Read 6380 times)

Offline Winter

• I am Tek Jansen!
  • Administrator
  • MBX Forum owner
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
Should Craftmod go fully open-source? Vote here.
« on: March 29, 2007, 09:39:51 AM »
Due to increasing life commitments, I don't think I can continue to support Craftmod. So in order to fulfill its promise and keep it alive, I'm consider making it fully open-source to anyone and everyone who's interested in downloading it (and perhaps fixing the remaining bugs).

If we go open, all versions of the Craftmod source will be released -- one version with Retainers, and one without Retainers and Retained-related systems.

Cast your vote now!

Offline Nethros

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Should Craftmod go fully open-source? Vote here.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 03:05:33 PM »
I think it is a definate yes. First, some bugs will be fixed, then soon someone will do a version with all of them fixed. I'd also love to see new content.

imercan

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 05:39:23 PM »
Craftmod  great contrivance. Great job. But  ? hope fix bug nearly. Because ? cant play... A lot gome down. So boring.
Thanks  for Masters..

aGorilla

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 09:08:47 PM »
I can't imagine who would vote no.

Sorry to hear you're too busy to finish it.  But I've tried it, liked it, and hated it (due to crashes when I went to battle).  I'd love to see it fixed/finished.  It's a good start, and it would be a shame for it to just vanish -- or have to be rebuilt by somebody else.

Javelin

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 09:39:16 AM »
It's your masterpiece and you hold all the rights, but if you can't find the time to keep on working on it I'd rather see the mod being handed over to someone else than letting it die away.

Quail

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 04:54:19 PM »
I think you should release it as open source, but still have the "official" one that you can work on when you can.

Oh and thank you in advance for your work in UFO:AI

Buxton

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 06:05:12 PM »
Sorry to ask, but I don't understand about the retainers, what are these?

Offline Winter

• I am Tek Jansen!
  • Administrator
  • MBX Forum owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2007, 03:38:14 AM »
Oh and thank you in advance for your work in UFO:AI

v2.1 is out this weekend! It's got all the beautiful equipment writeups, and some new storyline-related research topics. Unfortunately we couldn't get the code for the storyline together in time for a 2.1 release, so that'll be for 2.2.

Play the new release and feast your eyes, and satisfy any obsessive reading compulsions you might have. ;)

Sorry to ask, but I don't understand about the retainers, what are these?

Retainers are a really cool feature I coded for Craftmod that has never quite worked properly. The idea is that you can promote your troops to Retainers if you have enough charisma, and then craft Batches of items for them which they can then equip. So all your retainers would have variable equipment based on what batches you give them, while still being a regular non-hero troop.

It seems the game doesn't really like that, though, and battles keep crashing.

Quail

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2007, 03:13:27 PM »
Play the new release and feast your eyes, and satisfy any obsessive reading compulsions you might have. ;)

I get a lot of those  :P

imercan

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2007, 10:56:43 PM »
 Great mod !!  Thanks  master.  but.. a lot  game down.  ? hope  fix bug nearly..

? vote .  most wanted mod ( craftmod )

Offline Winter

• I am Tek Jansen!
  • Administrator
  • MBX Forum owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2007, 03:00:16 AM »
Poll is closed, thread is locked -- Craftmod is indeed going open-source. I'll have the 1.5 version up on the Repository soon. Remember, though, that some difficult bugs remain in the 1.5 version -- particularly in the Retainer-enabled branch.