Author Topic: Excellent idea!  (Read 4403 times)

Fenril

Excellent idea!
« on: March 28, 2007, 09:43:28 AM »

I am a huge fan of PC classics...been a pc gamer for a long time. And although only discovered recently Darklands is one of my all time favs. To take inspiration from it and making a MnB mod was an awesome idea!.

I havent actually tried anything yet hehe. Did a quick read of the faq flash at the site...how many Darklands elements are present?

I assume there are no prayers, but do we rely on a 4 element party? Or is it just the one companion mentioned? Is the character development altered to the Darklands model?

Bah, let me read up some more.

Anyways even if it is still an early version much kudos in advance.

Offline Hellequin

• View Profile
Re: Excellent idea!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 10:16:59 AM »
Dude - download it and try it!  You'll be impressed, I think, how much of the original's structure we've already got in place.  Next rev adds more of those elements, but focuses on content (encounters etc) and gameplay experience.

Fenril

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 10:49:05 AM »
Ive created a character and messed around a bit :)

Looks good. Glad to see you kept the option screen interaction :) I think I will wait for the next version though.

So far the only qualm that made me quit was a fire effect in one the bandit encounters, I am running it with fairly high specs and it retains a steady 35/45 FPS, fluid enough, but that fire effect lagged up the game something fierce, and disabling a bunch of video options didnt seem to help much.

Offline Hellequin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 01:53:05 PM »
Unfortunately, yes, there's no video option to turn down particle systems and M&B handles them fairly poorly right now.  If I find a better way I'll certainly implement it, but I don't expect to.  Hopefully Armagan improves that part of the graphics handling at some point.

bryce

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 02:41:35 PM »
If you have someone model some new particals you could probably make some huge ones that can have a texture applied.  kon_air was doing somethign similar for muzzle flashes for us and we might do that eventually.  The benefit being you can have a dozen large particals instead of  ahundred small ones and get ten times better performance.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 02:43:07 PM by bryce »

Offline Hellequin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 12:35:08 AM »
Yeah, I'd considered trying to do something like that.  Not my area of expertise; if you guys get it working I'd love to look over your notes.