Author Topic: Darkmod Development Information  (Read 40862 times)

Offline Ahadhran

• Mysterious Old Man
    • View Profile
Re: Darkmod Development Information
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2007, 02:18:13 PM »
Faction strength could be implemented quite easily. If I did implement it, it would probably be based off of the outpost system I have planned, where the number of outposts that have been established and destroyed played heavily into the factions strength.

I'm hoping to have a story eventually, but the next version may be more like a loosely tied together series of sequential events.

There won't be much in the way of texture changes because coding is my real priority. However I do plan to change the the rather silly undead head texture that I used in the past. I don't know if that will be in the next version or not.

MaD LOrD

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2007, 12:51:23 PM »
is there any hope to see darkmod for 0808?

Quail

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2007, 02:07:42 PM »
Ahadhran is not really a person to give frequent progress reports, but yes there is hope, and it is being worked on.

Offline Ahadhran

• Mysterious Old Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2007, 04:36:57 PM »
I have updated the first page of this thread, you will find that there is a lot more finished and being worked on, and a lot less in the red to do list  ;).

I apologize for not a lot of communication on whats going on, but its hard to keep up with it all when doing full time college.

As to if this mod sees .808, its hard to say, kinda depends how behind schedule armagan is on the next release. I don't expect the release of the new version to create much of a holdup however since I will be doing a straight port rather than trying to integrate new stuff from the new version. Integration will be for a later version.

As to why its taking so much longer to get a version out, it is largely due to the huge amount of content I'm adding. The next version of Darkmod will almost be unrecognizable from previous versions with the exception of the general theme. In addition to a war progression system that will allow for a win condition (albeit with many hardships along the way), there will be a storyline quest progression which you can choose to follow or ignore but that should add a diversity of play elements (may not be completely finished in the next version). Also much work towards randomization is being done to make it so no two times of playing through the game will be the same.

If anyone has any questions about the content that will be in the next version, feel free to post and I will respond promptly since this summer is pretty much being devoted to Darkmod!

MaD LOrD

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2007, 05:28:32 PM »
How many races will be at the new version?

P.S. the idea of the mod is great, and I really wish to play it) Waiting for 0808 version!

Offline Ahadhran

• Mysterious Old Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2007, 05:39:31 PM »
There will be three "human" races, and two undead races.

Human races
tainted
blessed
human (regular)

undead (not sure if these will be playable yet due to crashing problems, I hope to sort this out however)
normal undead
skeletons

I would like to add more races than that but my modeling/texturing abilities limit me. Should someone come along and offer graphics help I would add more (a demon race and a fey race come to mind)

MaD LOrD

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2007, 04:30:45 AM »
any vampire races, maybe?))

Offline Ahadhran

• Mysterious Old Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2007, 10:19:32 AM »
Thats not a bad idea for the evil side actually, the only difficulty would be getting some decent textures and the whole can't be in daylight thing (easy for npcs but harder if you let the player be a vampire). I don't see myself making worthy textures for a vampire, but if I can get someone to provide assistance I'll add them in an npc capacity at least.

MaD LOrD

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2007, 12:32:50 PM »
Actually, you don't have to make vampires "standart" - they can for example see better during the night, and a lot worse during the day, and travel faster during the night (if it's possible). Also, if possible, you can let them travel during the day, but restrict fighting. So, if a vampire got caught by enemy during the day he won't be able to help his troops, and if he has any vapiric troops - they wouldn't be able to fight as well (well, if that's possible as well). But if you are going to put playable vapires in the game, I would recommend you to increase day\night time, so there is time to travel from one city to another.
is there any bonuses for holy weapons against unded? are there any holy places, which unded cannot enter? By the way, if you need some assistance with textures, try asking other mod makers - I'm sure some of them would be glad to help you. I suck at drawing, sorry(

Offline Ahadhran

• Mysterious Old Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2007, 12:44:59 PM »
For NPC vampires I already have the ability to make them appear at night and disappear during the day, thats not really a problem.

Unfortunately you can't change the day/night timescale so making longer day/night cycles is out of the question.

I can't make holy weapons because the damage system for M&B doesn't support it. If you give a bonus to damage on a weapon it will do more damage on any troop.

I intend to be more aggressive in asking for help from the community once I have at least released a version that demonstrates Darkmod to be a mod worth expending energy on.

Mormakar

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2007, 10:49:24 AM »
Good to hear that u are working on it! And what I'm reading u doing a good work! ;)

Servitor

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2007, 12:30:52 PM »
You will have to begin as a demonic/undead/skeleton person? Or is it posible to change textures halfway?

Offline Ahadhran

• Mysterious Old Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2007, 01:58:04 PM »
once I get everything set up the way I want, you will be able to change through some quests in game, so you could start good and then go through an evil ritual and become demonic or possibly even undead.

Mormakar

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2007, 11:05:08 AM »
Are you going to fix it to version 0.890 soon :p Take the tame you need!

Offline Ahadhran

• Mysterious Old Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2007, 11:56:02 AM »
Yeah, I'm hoping not too many things will be changed module wise so the port is relatively painless. Nobody has seen the module system yet so we have yet to see. I have a couple people helping me so that should help speed things up...

Darkmod will be sooo much more awesome with the new version, my only small worry is getting LOD versions of all the undead and skeleton models which could end up being difficult because I can't do rigging myself, and I don't have anyone working for me who can.