login

Author Topic: Darkmod Development Information  (Read 41817 times)

Offline Ahadhran

• Mysterious Old Man
    • View Profile
Darkmod Development Information
« on: January 11, 2007, 05:25:50 PM »
There is no current Version of Darkmod for the .808 Version of M&B.

I am Currently working on the 2.00 Version of Darkmod for .808. Below is a bit of an overview on my progress:

Current Project
Port over quests and fix bugs that were still in the last versions code.
figure out the theme for the basic good faction (formerly the zendar defenders)
adding new troops (mostly done, just need to equip them properly)
making some new items to replace old quest rewards (on the backburner)
porting quests
Create a dynamic war outpost system where the player can choose to "build" them in order to mobilize more troops in an area.
added a "intro sequence" that starts a groundwork for a story

Finished
ported over troops
porting over items
purged most of natives code
redoing map
ported over parties
did guardian keep scene
did forbidden keep scene
ported factions
ported ranger base quests
made it possible to hire ranger scouting parties to follow you around
Get all the merchants carrying faction specific items
getting troop spawns sorted out
adding new races (all but blessed race done which will likely wait for a while)

Yet to do
create criteria and ways for the player to become tainted/demonic/or undead
Finish decorating several scenes
add some more towns for the guardians and the rangers
Get hidden treasure spots ported over
make several attackable outposts for various factions (probably won't happen till a later version)

Features for 2.00
once I get further along I will post relevant information here

Mod concept:

The idea of this mod is to create a darker more cryptic atmosphere where the sides of good and evil are constantly clashing. Undead knights roam the land while the human wars go on unchecked. I will work a story line in at some point but getting base scripting in is my first priority.

Thanks to:
winter, fisheye, and silverkatana for coding help
Thorgrim for invaluable tools
Janus for repository
RR_Raptor65 for models
JIK for models
Smiling_cataphract for ideas
Cartread for skeleton model

Many others along the way for their help ideas and inspiration
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 02:39:24 PM by Ahadhran »

Sunhawken

Re: Darkmod Development Information
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 09:03:48 PM »
When is the Expected release date.

P.S Keep up the good work.

P.s.s For some reason i liked this forum on taleworlds forum. I guess because every thing was there.

Offline Ahadhran

• Mysterious Old Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 09:08:03 PM »
I have no Idea when I will be finished but I will try to post an approximation of a date when I get closer to done. I will also try to post some screenshots of whats being done since a lot of it is graphical right now.

Cheese

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 09:05:28 AM »
Any news from the Darkmod? It's been the best mod I've ever played and I hope I could play it on the .808 version too sometime :) But take your time.

Offline Ahadhran

• Mysterious Old Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 10:23:27 AM »
I a doing a lot of modeling new scenes so it will be a while. (indoor and outdoor) Also college has away of distracting me too. Don't worry though this project is still alive. ;)

calimer

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 11:59:45 PM »
What happened to the previous forums?  I posted a good amount of feedback on darkmod, I hope that you at least got to look at it.  Great mod though.  I wish the hellsword wasn't exactly the same as the blade of zendar though, you have to do a lot more work for the hellsword.  Also it would be nice to be able to turn from the evil side and help the forces of good.  Those hidden cities are also really cool.  I've had some really great battles in darkmod so thanks for all of your hard work and effort.  Having those extra NPCs is really nice too.  My favorite battle in darkmod involved myself with 6 other npcs vs 523 "good" enemies.  It was quite an epic battle and after a few hours I finally won, haha.  Thanks again for your hard work, you have really given a lot more worth to M&B.  Take care.
-calimer

Offline Lord Of The Sith Lords

• Craftsman
  • Leprechaun turn to the dark side (we have cookies)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 07:17:59 AM »
did you put the widow maker by Phoenix in a previous version? because it was a really good axe and if you didn't put it in a previous version could you put it in the next?
if you turn to the dark side you get cookies, if you turn to the light side you get brownies, if you are both light and dark you are smart cause you get cookies and brownies, if you don't have the force then your stupid cause you get nothing!

Offline Ahadhran

• Mysterious Old Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2007, 09:47:38 AM »
The widow maker will not be in future versions of Darkmod because of the quality of the modeling job, not do to the appearance of the model. It had over 1200 polygons and some very messy geometry. However time allowing, I may do a recreation of the same design but without the aforementioned defects giving credit to Phoenix for the design.

Mormakar

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 02:47:41 PM »
I like the modd ;)

Keep up the good work.

Redcow

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 08:08:15 PM »
hey i was just wondering how the mod was coming along and i really like the mod its pretty sweet

Sunhawken

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2007, 09:30:13 PM »
Still a lot of work i'm guessing?

Offline Ahadhran

• Mysterious Old Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2007, 11:42:34 PM »
Yes, But progress is being made. I have only one class for summer quarter at college so I have a bit more time.

Here is where my time is going:
1. A lot of time is just getting the bare minimum textures for each faction and sub-factions unique look. I am not fast at texturing. Here is the breakdown for the factions
       the damned - bare minimum is finished
       the alliance of light - nearing 50% finished. I've done two shields, one coat of mail, and I need to do another main armor or two.
       the rangers - 90% of bare minimum finished, I may even leave it as it is, not sure yet.
       the guardians - I am undecided what to do at this point, they need a reworking though
       the slayers - will be more or less unchanged from last version so 100% done
       the followers of the Darkmoon - again I don't really know what I'm gonna do about this faction, needs work but I'm not sure if it will happen soon.
       Face re-textures for Tainted and Blessed races - 0%
2. Transferring code from previous version. This is pretty fast and shouldn't take long.
       I have finished porting ranger quests
       I have ported constable Hareck quests
       I have to port over guardian quests still.
       I have to copy over a few other misc. things
3. New coding. I have only just started this.
       I have to implement a bunch of new quest Ideas I have.
       I have to get all merchants working faction specific.
       I have to rewrite the evil quests.
       I would like to try at least getting a preliminary system in for having what party you encounter have an effect on the size of the battlemap.
       I have to do some more scene stuff and make a few new towns.

At any rate, a lot of slow down comes to graphics. In three hours I can do a substantial amount of coding, versus just one texture...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 09:17:17 AM by Ahadhran »

Cheese

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2007, 01:53:15 AM »
Thanks for keeping us up to date! Oh and good luck for the project. I'm sure this will be a great success! :D

Offline Ahadhran

• Mysterious Old Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2007, 09:14:18 AM »
Thanks,

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I have to do face re-textures for both the tainted and blessed races. Edited as needed above

Knightmaster

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2007, 10:54:02 AM »
Just a question will there be faction strenght?

Does it also have story?

and will the undead look more undead like you know human faces but some kind of undead?

When this mod comes its great.

Offline Ahadhran

• Mysterious Old Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2007, 02:18:13 PM »
Faction strength could be implemented quite easily. If I did implement it, it would probably be based off of the outpost system I have planned, where the number of outposts that have been established and destroyed played heavily into the factions strength.

I'm hoping to have a story eventually, but the next version may be more like a loosely tied together series of sequential events.

There won't be much in the way of texture changes because coding is my real priority. However I do plan to change the the rather silly undead head texture that I used in the past. I don't know if that will be in the next version or not.

MaD LOrD

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2007, 12:51:23 PM »
is there any hope to see darkmod for 0808?

Quail

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2007, 02:07:42 PM »
Ahadhran is not really a person to give frequent progress reports, but yes there is hope, and it is being worked on.

Offline Ahadhran

• Mysterious Old Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2007, 04:36:57 PM »
I have updated the first page of this thread, you will find that there is a lot more finished and being worked on, and a lot less in the red to do list  ;).

I apologize for not a lot of communication on whats going on, but its hard to keep up with it all when doing full time college.

As to if this mod sees .808, its hard to say, kinda depends how behind schedule armagan is on the next release. I don't expect the release of the new version to create much of a holdup however since I will be doing a straight port rather than trying to integrate new stuff from the new version. Integration will be for a later version.

As to why its taking so much longer to get a version out, it is largely due to the huge amount of content I'm adding. The next version of Darkmod will almost be unrecognizable from previous versions with the exception of the general theme. In addition to a war progression system that will allow for a win condition (albeit with many hardships along the way), there will be a storyline quest progression which you can choose to follow or ignore but that should add a diversity of play elements (may not be completely finished in the next version). Also much work towards randomization is being done to make it so no two times of playing through the game will be the same.

If anyone has any questions about the content that will be in the next version, feel free to post and I will respond promptly since this summer is pretty much being devoted to Darkmod!

MaD LOrD

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2007, 05:28:32 PM »
How many races will be at the new version?

P.S. the idea of the mod is great, and I really wish to play it) Waiting for 0808 version!

Offline Ahadhran

• Mysterious Old Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2007, 05:39:31 PM »
There will be three "human" races, and two undead races.

Human races
tainted
blessed
human (regular)

undead (not sure if these will be playable yet due to crashing problems, I hope to sort this out however)
normal undead
skeletons

I would like to add more races than that but my modeling/texturing abilities limit me. Should someone come along and offer graphics help I would add more (a demon race and a fey race come to mind)

MaD LOrD

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2007, 04:30:45 AM »
any vampire races, maybe?))

Offline Ahadhran

• Mysterious Old Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2007, 10:19:32 AM »
Thats not a bad idea for the evil side actually, the only difficulty would be getting some decent textures and the whole can't be in daylight thing (easy for npcs but harder if you let the player be a vampire). I don't see myself making worthy textures for a vampire, but if I can get someone to provide assistance I'll add them in an npc capacity at least.

MaD LOrD

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2007, 12:32:50 PM »
Actually, you don't have to make vampires "standart" - they can for example see better during the night, and a lot worse during the day, and travel faster during the night (if it's possible). Also, if possible, you can let them travel during the day, but restrict fighting. So, if a vampire got caught by enemy during the day he won't be able to help his troops, and if he has any vapiric troops - they wouldn't be able to fight as well (well, if that's possible as well). But if you are going to put playable vapires in the game, I would recommend you to increase day\night time, so there is time to travel from one city to another.
is there any bonuses for holy weapons against unded? are there any holy places, which unded cannot enter? By the way, if you need some assistance with textures, try asking other mod makers - I'm sure some of them would be glad to help you. I suck at drawing, sorry(

Offline Ahadhran

• Mysterious Old Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2007, 12:44:59 PM »
For NPC vampires I already have the ability to make them appear at night and disappear during the day, thats not really a problem.

Unfortunately you can't change the day/night timescale so making longer day/night cycles is out of the question.

I can't make holy weapons because the damage system for M&B doesn't support it. If you give a bonus to damage on a weapon it will do more damage on any troop.

I intend to be more aggressive in asking for help from the community once I have at least released a version that demonstrates Darkmod to be a mod worth expending energy on.

Mormakar

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2007, 10:49:24 AM »
Good to hear that u are working on it! And what I'm reading u doing a good work! ;)

Servitor

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2007, 12:30:52 PM »
You will have to begin as a demonic/undead/skeleton person? Or is it posible to change textures halfway?

Offline Ahadhran

• Mysterious Old Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2007, 01:58:04 PM »
once I get everything set up the way I want, you will be able to change through some quests in game, so you could start good and then go through an evil ritual and become demonic or possibly even undead.

Mormakar

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2007, 11:05:08 AM »
Are you going to fix it to version 0.890 soon :p Take the tame you need!

Offline Ahadhran

• Mysterious Old Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2007, 11:56:02 AM »
Yeah, I'm hoping not too many things will be changed module wise so the port is relatively painless. Nobody has seen the module system yet so we have yet to see. I have a couple people helping me so that should help speed things up...

Darkmod will be sooo much more awesome with the new version, my only small worry is getting LOD versions of all the undead and skeleton models which could end up being difficult because I can't do rigging myself, and I don't have anyone working for me who can.

MaD LOrD

« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2007, 12:53:14 PM »
feeling kinda sorry for you, cause you've worked on .808 version, and then .809 got released... any way, is everything ok? how is development going?

Offline Ahadhran

• Mysterious Old Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2007, 01:22:47 PM »
feeling kinda sorry for you, cause you've worked on .808 version, and then .809 got released... any way, is everything ok? how is development going?

Ah well, life's a bitch. :lol: I am still working on it, though school has started so we'll see how things turn out.

My current plan is to port over and finish the game content I had planned without implementing much of anything in the way of new features from the new version. One of the big hang ups is getting lod models for everything. I think I may bypass this by using mostly native items for the time being and slowly add in extra stuff as I get time. Since items are icing in a cake, I kind of want to get a working version with quests and gameplay out as soon as possible.

Knightmaster

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2007, 08:09:03 AM »
When this mod will be released :)

Mormakar

« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2007, 01:55:34 PM »
From a quote in TLD.
Don't kill hobbits!!

Knightmaster

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2007, 09:11:42 AM »
I guess that didnt answer my guestion.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 09:18:33 AM by Knightmaster »

Highlander

« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2007, 09:59:07 AM »
Oh, really?

MaD LOrD

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2007, 11:31:05 AM »
Any hope to see Darkmod alive on .894?

Offline Ahadhran

• Mysterious Old Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2007, 02:16:31 PM »
I hope so, though I don't see it happening exceptionally soon. I have have one more week of "double midterm madness" so hopefully I will be able to work a bit more on it after that. Right now I'm working on story concepts and graphical changes because this is the most relaxing as a break from my Biology, Calculus and Geology course work.

Servitor

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2007, 04:03:30 PM »
Good Luck!  :o

Mormakar

« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2007, 05:59:25 AM »
Yeah. good luck! And merry christmas :)

Offline Dryvus

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2007, 11:48:20 AM »
Any Darkmod news is good news.

pil313

« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2008, 11:10:53 PM »
Now that 1.0 is out will darkmod continue devlopment?

Offline Ahadhran

• Mysterious Old Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2008, 10:48:23 AM »
Even though 1.003 is out, there is yet to be a module system which means I can't really do much. In addition I have an extremely busy college year right now and I don't know how much I would be able to work on it anyway. This may mean that I wouldn't be able to continue development until summer break. I still very much want to finish this project though.

pil313

« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2008, 01:19:38 AM »
Glad to hear that your still keen to continue. Good luck with colledge though.

mbfreak2

« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2008, 05:57:54 PM »
Even though 1.003 is out, there is yet to be a module system which means I can't really do much. In addition I have an extremely busy college year right now and I don't know how much I would be able to work on it anyway. This may mean that I wouldn't be able to continue development until summer break. I still very much want to finish this project though.

MODULE SYSTEM IS OUT! I hope darkmod will be ported. This was one of my fav mods during 0.751.

Cheese

« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2008, 07:44:11 AM »
I think this mod is so dead. Pity.. I liked this one most in the past :( Let us just hope I'm wrong.