Author Topic: Help a newb?  (Read 4338 times)

Saint-Germain

Help a newb?
« on: March 10, 2007, 04:05:04 AM »
I've downloaded the mod, and quite like it... However...

I have no idea how to make money or get more party members or make potions or anything (I haven't played the original or anything). Can anyone help?

Arcane

Re: Help a newb?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 04:30:59 AM »
Well native should be the first thing you should run because it has a built in tutorial for you to teach you combat and darklands is a bit more complicated compared to native as instead of controlling a mass army you just work with a small group of friends. practice real combat with native in small groups versus you to get a feel for the combat in dark lands find a way to make money that suits you in dark lands. look in the native forums to learn some more on how to play

*Saint- when i said native in the post i meant default M&B

Saint-Germain

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 05:26:30 AM »
Hehe... I've played native and several other mods - when I said I hadn't played the original, I meant the original Darklands.

Soo with that in mind - how do I cope with those differences? Where can I find some more "companions" and how can I get some cash?

Arcane

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 05:46:26 AM »
:-[....whoops.... lawl..... sorry about the "I just got M&B" advice

Yeah....um...i never played the original darklands either but this isn't really canonical to dark lands so you and I should be fine

money shouldn't be much of an issue
1. use crappy gear to kill the infinite amount of bandits in town if you can avoid getting hit which with a  crossbow shouldn't be a problem if you always go for head shots.
2.for faster although harder money wander on the map until an alchemist attacks you he has some really nice loot.
3.after a while of the first two you can buy and sell trade goods like in m&b native and other mods

as for companions you can't recruit from inns so....only heros and even then only two companions are implemented including your sis and the second one *SPOILERS?*

the alchemist Franz is not yet entirely finished being coded but you can get him by walking into a alchemy shop and then head to the inn for me after dark but I'm not sure when you need to be there...anyways you have to fight off the city guards to save Franz and then he is yours and the since game is not completely coded so thats it for now
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 05:55:50 AM by Arcane »

Saint-Germain

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 05:10:35 PM »
No problem, thanks a lot for the advice...

Ah those crazy ol' bandits. Headshots are hard with a pistol, though. Does everyone start with the same gear, no matter what character you make?

Arcane

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 05:23:30 PM »
Although you're gear is based off your heritage the companions gear is set as far as I have seen
and if the pistol is giving you a hard time get a crossbow they are pretty reliable as far as aiming goes and are great for picking off rock throwing idiots
oh and if you need pistol skill just wait for them to get to pointblank range and fire at their head it usually  kills or maims the target
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 05:31:39 PM by Arcane »

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 07:05:00 PM »
Stand by on gear.  Hellequin is planning to implement a version of the RCM into the next version.  The guns that can literally miss a man ten shots in a row from ten feet away will be fixed.  Damage will also be high enough that some tactics will be in order, and armor will actually be worth something.

Meanwhile, make the best of it with the equipment from Native.