Author Topic: Reallistic Combat Model for Native  (Read 151469 times)

Offline fujiwara

• Master
    • View Profile
Reallistic Combat Model for Native
« on: February 21, 2007, 11:11:34 PM »
Ron Losey has asked that I upload a version of his RCM for Native to the Repository.

The download can be found here.

From Ron:

Realistic Combat Model for Native

This is a retrofit of the "Realistic Combat Model" (originally
developed for
Onin-no-Ran) to M&B native.  This file contains the item_kinds1.txt
file,
and the module_items.py source code.

Although fully playable, it is intended as a source for mod developers
wishing to use the model.  No attempts have been made to balance
prices, and
the results on game balance in Native are uncertain.

There may be errors.  Lacking a clear historical frame, some values
have
been improvised from existing prices, weights, or in-game usage. 
("Scale
armor" ... what kind of scales?  Steel?  Iron?  Hardened leather? 
Thick?
Thin?  Large?  Small? ... it's cheap, so assume the worst.)  Typos are
also
a possibility.

This is not fully tested.  It is intended as a programming resource and
demonstration of the RCM, and is not what you would call a complete
"mod". 
It is provided in response to overwhelming popular demand.

Ron Losey (RCM developer)
(Questions or comments may be directed to me on the MBX forum.)

I tried to post this to Minor Mods, but I don't seem to have New Topic permissions there...

The horses tend to get their legs caught in the catapult rather than being properly launched.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
Re: Reallistic Combat Model for Native
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 12:27:46 AM »

Updated 10 March 07:
-all crossbows now set to emulate conical anti-armor tips, to differentiate them from the hunting-type broadheads on conventional bows.  This is an accommodation for playability.  Hopefully some pending future version of the M&B engine will allow true selectable ammunition types and damage type determined by the projectile, and this compromise will no longer be necessary.  Until then, this will provide players with some tactical choice between higher damage and greater anti-armor capability.

------------------------------------

A cheap trick of a work-around, I know ... but it's the best I could do with the M&B engine at the moment.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 01:14:16 AM »
Updates for all RCM fans:

In addition to this Native Retrofit, the following mods are now running or converting to RCM:

Onin no Ran - the original RCM.  Now operating very nearly bug-free in regard to the combat model, although the mod itself is far from finished.  The pride of the Realistic Combat Model project.

Mesoamerica - Custom RCM conversion (by me).  Now public release for .808 - combat model appears to be bug-free, and game play is exceptional (notably better than I expected, actually). 

The Last Days (TLD) - Optional RCM with versions 2.4 and following.  Item1.txt file must be manually renamed.  Instructions included with TLD download.

Holy War - Beta including custom RCM conversion.  Still in development and/or testing.  Release date unknown.  The beta looks promising.

Pirates of Calradia - (hosted on Taleworlds) - custom RCM.  Features ship combat and working catapults.  Open source, for anyone wishing to include ships and/or catapults in other mods.

Guardians Party - Nema's dream world is adopting the RCM scale... but it includes so many deliberately unbalanced purely fantasy items that it cannot really be called a "Realistic Combat Model" version as such.  It's more like D&D on LSD.  It's sort of appealing, in a psychedelic sort of way... if you're really in the mood for a bad acid trip ... (Not one of my custom ports, although I am advising.) Now available.

Hero and Blade has adopted a modified version of the RCM.  Not your normal M&B game, but kind of addictive anyway.

Yogi's Realistic Weapon Sizes hotfix for Native is now distributed in both Native and RCM versions.  Not really a "mod" - it's a developers' tool package, but it does come with both sets of stats for Native items.  Bugs have been noted.

--------------------------------------------
One put on hold and probably forgotten:

"Cult of the Big Lizard" - the "mod of mods" project.  An experimental mod being constructed around the principle of committee rule with no specific mod lead.  Custom RCM including adjustments to combat balance.  The fights should be wild.

--------------------------------------------

And one removal from the list:

Yoshi's "Pirates" and "RPG Mod" are being released unfinished, as he will be unable to continue work on them for some time.  RCM conversions on them are suspended until he resumes work on them, or until someone else takes them over and expresses interest.

And a dead mod:
The Yogi's "Red Company" mod has been dropped from development, as changes to M&B .89x make the benefits of such largely obsolete.

And one presumed dead until further notice:
ASLOW - in planning/rework of combat system.  Custom conversion including extensive concept art and literary rewrite. 

----------------------------------------------

This page will be updated as necessary.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 12:28:20 AM by Ron Losey »

Offline nema

• Journeyman
  • ... what nema made was outside reality...
    • View Profile
    • Guardians party
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 04:25:02 AM »

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 04:46:11 AM »

Go for it.

------------------------------------

Note to all:

The RCM was written for the mod community.  If you can use the Native version, go for it.  If you just need to add a few things to that, just base them off of existing stats ... something in Native is probably close enough to give you a good idea of what the numbers should be.  If your mod uses a substantial number of non-native weapons or armor and/or requires special balance considerations, contact me about a custom port.

This thing was created to fix the balance problems and generally bad physics in Native.  If everybody would use it, that would be fine by me.

If you want to use the RCM, do tell me so I can get your name on the list here.  Also, you might want to include comments to that effect in your announcements.  That will make sure that the growing base of RCM fans know which mods are using it.

Ron

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 01:10:05 AM »
Update:  Work beginning on ASLOW.  Looks very promising.  Noted above.

For anyone unfamiliar with "A Shield Lying On the Water", it is a fictional setting rewrite including a long-term strategic war planning model.  The fiction writing is exceptional.  Along with RCM conversion, I will also be providing some of the game balance and military planning advice - hopefully doing justice to the extremely rich setting by producing an equally rich fictional military tradition.

The mod itself is in fairly early stages.  RCM conversion will begin on a limited scale, with additional equipment coming on-line as the models and textures are completed.  Any beta-testing announcements will eventually be handled in the ASLOW thread (RCM fans and beta testers of other RCM versions take note).  Time estimates unknown.

I am very excited about the potential for ASLOW ... it will be the first major RCM project to be done in an entirely fictional setting, and so will test the limits of the model with regard to internal game balance.

Offline nema

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • Guardians party
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 02:29:13 PM »
Guardians Party - Nema's dream world is adopting the RCM scale... but it includes so many deliberately unbalanced purely fantasy items that it cannot really be called a "Realistic Combat Model" version as such.  It's more like D&D on LSD.  It's sort of appealing, in a psychedelic sort of way... if you're really in the mood for a bad acid trip ... (Not one of my custom ports, although I am advising.)  Exact public release date on the rescaled version unknown.

Thanks for this interesting comments.

It is true that world of dreams is not much different from psychedelics experiences.
I try to adapt my fantasy weapons and armors to native RCM. But I am not succeed at all points. Yeah its fantasy, not real word any way. So you can not find perfect balance as in perfect Ron's works.

I like RCM very much and in many parts it is more similar to my word than the native. It is real great idea and behavior of the weapons is really pure joy.

I recommend that RCM will become standard for all mods. (Even for such twisted as my is)
 It deserve it. And we can not to overlook this important and revolutionary contribution to M&B. This is real original idea. Congratulation.

Any way, Ron thank you for your work and especially for use in my dreamy world and your advising.

If there is maybe someone who want to risk with unusual experience of the dreams word with imported RCM for native is free to find download link on my topic.

nema
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 02:39:46 PM by nema »

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 07:32:38 PM »
Above post altered to reflect that Guardians Party is now available in RCM scale.

Thanks for the support, Nema, and I hope nobody takes any offense at my comments of it being a psychedelic experience.

Offline nema

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • Guardians party
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 02:34:46 AM »
Thanks for the support, Nema, and I hope nobody takes any offense at my comments of it being a psychedelic experience.
Hey, my friend, It is kind of psychedelic experience. And I am proud that I succeed to conjured such unreal word.  ;)

Offline Dryvus

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 10:07:34 PM »
Where to unzip it? Just the regular M&B folder?

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2007, 12:03:13 AM »
Where to unzip it? Just the regular M&B folder?

You just want to play the game?

Your best bet is to make a copy of the "Native" mod folder.  (That's under "modules")  Call it "Native-RCM" or something.  Then unzip the .txt file and overwrite the native one in your newly created folder.

(Doesn't matter what you do with the .py file - it's just the source code.)

This was really created as a mod coders' resource... I didn't really think of anybody having trouble installing it.

Offline Dryvus

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2007, 12:38:06 AM »
Thanks for the instruction. I like RCM quite a bit and it's probably the only things (besides a new release) that would get me playing native... just plain old impatience on my part for a Western-culture mod to integrate.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2007, 07:46:27 AM »
Thanks for the instruction. I like RCM quite a bit and it's probably the only things (besides a new release) that would get me playing native... just plain old impatience on my part for a Western-culture mod to integrate.

I suppose Mesoamerica is a little TOO "Western" for what you had in mind?  It's RCM, but the Aztec obsidian weapons are kind of a strange twist on the theme.  I keep thinking Holy War will get it together soon.

Note that this Native retrofit is not in any way balanced for long-term play.  This is just the items ... I didn't touch the troops file.  It was supposed to be a programmer's resource.  It may not be worth much if you're just playing it for entertainment.

Offline Dryvus

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2007, 09:16:05 AM »
Okay, I had the wrong impression. I play Mesoamerica w/RCM and Onin no Ran the most (cause of the RCM). I'm looking forward to being blown away by the new Holy War version, when it's ready to go.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2007, 04:47:59 AM »
General announcement:

Yogi's "Red Company" mod will be using native weapons, so that the RCM Native file can be used with it.  (He is using it himself.)

However, the Red Company mod will not actually include an items file in the first release.  It is necessary to download the RCM Native package separately, and assemble the two yourself.

Beta release on that is expected soon.

----------------------------------

Above list updated. (Third post, this thread.)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 05:03:17 AM by Ron Losey »