login

Author Topic: Bladnir's TLD Rebalanced  (Read 34930 times)

Offline Bladnir

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Bladnir's TLD Rebalanced
« on: December 30, 2013, 11:29:15 AM »
Newest Version Download: BladnirsTLDRebalanced1.1.rar

Just extract into the main folder. Make backups of the overwritten documents.

Hey!

I am Bladnir and I'd like to introduce you to my little submod to make TLD a more balanced game. In my Opinion TLD is the best Mod available for Mount and Blade, but from the first day I played it I thought that there is a lot of potential lost due to the miserable balancing of the different races.
Some Examples:

-The good guys always got the best equipment, because the "easy-to-kill" Gundabad or Guldur or Mordor Orcs dropped like 20 "Good Metal Scraps" nearly everytime making you instantly rich, while as a bad guy you need to become a slaver to make enough money to feed your troops because enemies kind of rarely drop Scraps.

-When I play as an elf, I can slaughter a whole Caravan of like fifty Uruk-Hai after about one hour of playing, already having the best equipment available. That was because my elven bowmen are highly overpowered with their unique "piercing bows" against the "20 Body-Armor" plate-armor-wearing Uruks.

-When I played as a haradrim, I couldn't do that with a Rohirrim caravan even after 5 hours.

-Elves are just highly overpowered. Best Armor, best Weapons, best Horses, making it unnecessary to recruit other races to get the best troops

-Dale or Beorning Weapons and Armor are too bad

-Orcs are cannon fodder... As a guy in armor you can take like 50 Orc arrows without getting killed...

-Some prices don't make sense -> I buy a sword with 30 Cut damage for 2000 Gold... then I go to the next town and see another one with 37 Cut damage for 700... ?!?!

I could go on like this for hours.... some of the "Overpowered Elven" stuff might be lore friendly because they are like thousands of years old and had too much time to train and smith but....it makes the game boring... just my opinion.

Now there is RCM which I think is a great submod if you like realistic gaming and a complete change in gameplay feeling.
But I liked it the old way, I just wanted to get a balanced Game, making every race fun to play in their own ways.

So I created this rebalancing mod:

Changes:

Global:
-To nerf the "instantly becoming rich as a good guy by getting a bunch of good metal scraps"-factor I just changed the Value of the Scraps to 50 for the bad ones, 75 for the usable and 100 for the good ones. so now it makes sense to carry the bad or the usable ones around, and since most prices were raised, you now need to do some quests or kill more than one Caravan before getting the best equipment.

-Made some Parties bigger, like the looting orcs from the quests, normal bandit/orc parties and scout parties of every faction. That makes it more challenging and fun in early game.

-Changed the hitpoints to every damn unit in the Game. Since every bow pierces now, trolls were too fragile, so they got like around 100 HP more, depending on race. All the Infantry got more HP, nerfed Archers to have less to be more fragile, Cavalry got a bit more hp, but not as much as Infantry

-Changed all Bows to Pierce damage

-Made bastard swords have a penality when worn one handed and made some longswords to bastard ones (like Dale Longsword)

-Changed all Daggers and Short Swords to deal lower damage slashing and more damage stabbing than longswords. That is making them sensible to wear even in later game by high pierce damage, which is kind of realistic too. A medieval knight always carried a dagger with him for close ranged combat, where they are more effective to stab through the chain parts of the enemies plate armor than a sword.

-Since the bad guys make most of the money by slaving, but you couldn't capture elves... (?!) I changed that so all elves may be captured now...

Dwarves
-The Dwarves now got the best armors in the game, making them the hardest to kill infantry. They got good melee weapons too, dealing high damage, but with low range, since the weapons are so small. I think these changes are kind of realistic since they spend most of their time smithing.
Best low range infantry, mid to low Archers.

Dale
-Dale is a balanced allround faction now. It was just bad before. Now the Dale guys got mid Archers (not as good as Elven ones), mid Riders (not as good as Rohirrim), mid Infantry (Not as good as Dwarfes), good plate Armors, mid weapons.

Mirkwood Elves
-They got the best Bowmen in the game with the most damage (30 Damage piercing bows), their Armor is light but low, their Spearmen are good, their Swordsmen mid to low.

Lothlorien Elves
-Nerfed their Armors, they were not even half the weight than dwarven ones but just as good. They got the highest damage riding bows (Galadhirim). Good Bowmen, great Mounted Archers, fast but mid fragile Infantry. Lesser Helmes equipped to Archers, so they look more elven with long hair and stuff, not realistic but making them a bit less overpowered since some of them die faster by headshots.

Imladris and Arnor
-Arnor got better Armors, Imladris Armors got nerfed a bit. Made elven armors weight a bit more, still being much lighter than the rest.

Rohan
-Made Rohirrim have even better warhorses, so they can establish their proficiency in riding better. Mid armor, mid weapons, great horses

Gondor
-Allrounders, made their armors (especially the scale ones of the Lossanarch Axeman, which had like 20 Armor before (?!)) kind of better, made Dol Amroth have better Armored Horses than the rest, which makes sense since they are .... specialized knights... and stuff.

The bad guys:

Corsairs
-Made their armors better, and their bows are the best evil bows now. 28 Damage, thats as good as Rivendell bows, not as good as Mirkwood ones. Good Archers, mid Infantry.

Haradrim
-Buffed the weapons very much, since their sabres where doing like 20 cut damage. Also made the Armors better, since the plate and scale armors did just suck. They have good Archers, mid to good Cavalry and mid to good Infantry. Quite balanced now, a bit like Dale.

Mordor, Dol Guldur, Moria, Gundabad
-The Orcs still suck. It is their fate. They are cannon fodder. BUT now a number of Orc archers are a real threat even to an armored Knight, they deal the lowest damage, but their number makes them dangerous because of the low pierce damage every Orc arrow deals. 5-10 Orc arrows, and even a Dol Amroth Swan Knight will fall.
-Made Uruks harder too kill. They are Mordors elite, why did they fall to a normal sword like wheat to a scythe? Now they deal more Damage and have better Armors.

Isengard
-Same procedure as with the Mordor Uruks. The Uruk-hai are now better armored, their plate armors still aren't great and weight more than 20, but the Greatswords and Axes are very deadly now. They are Berserks. They also got the second best evil bows. 27 Damage, far away from the Mirkwood bows, but still great. To make it more realistic, they got far less archery skill then the elves, and aim quite bad. Always the picture I had when imagining an Uruk. Strong, high damage, but not very controlled.

Rhun
- They are a riding people, the evil rohirrim, why did their mounts suck harder than any mordor oder harad horse? Now they got the best evil warhorses and the fastest evil coursers, also made their armors a little better, because they always died after one hit.

Variag
-Heavy armored easterlings... Lamellar Armor... Cataphracts... and like 25-35 Armor rating? sucks. They are the armored elite of the evil forces, they are now nearly equal to Arnor or Dwarves.

I made this submod for myself to have more fun playing TLD but I hope some people will like my changes too. Leave constructive comments and ideas if you like to, if I like one I ll try to realize your ideas in later versions

Have fun!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 07:09:55 PM by Bladnir »

Offline Daergar

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Bladnir's TLD Rebalanced
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 02:33:25 AM »
A little paranoid about losing posts for no reason, but I'll just ask here instead of spending more time trying to get it to work; is this compatible with a fresh 3.23+coldfix installation unlike the last upload?

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt online Gallery
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 03:05:39 AM »
We had to remove the thread and post it again, posts should be working normally. Bladnir will tell you about compatibility, I'm sure.
Here's my gallery: http://merlkir.deviantart.com/

I'm now painting and drawing commissions. I'll paint portraits, pets, girlfriends, favourite characters..you name it. Send me a PM if interested ;)

Offline Bladnir

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 05:32:02 AM »
The problem with the last upload was the modified module.ini, which needed some more resource Data you didnt have, because I have the "warband-like animations" submod installed and changed the time_multiplier so the movement speed was faster. I removed it. Since I just changed troops, parties and Items, there shouldn't be a problem with the normal 3.23 installation without the animations-mod now. Tell me if you meet any problems :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 05:35:37 AM by Bladnir »

Offline Daergar

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 01:40:27 PM »
Yup, I identified both those issues, just no way of knowing what else, if anything, was altered that'd come back and bite me in the ass later on.

Anyway, I'll give your balancing a whirl next year, but thank you for your work ahead of time mate.

Offline Bladnir

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 01:59:42 PM »
Hey guys,
some days passed by, just wanted to ask you who downloaded the submod to maybe give some feedback and constructive critics and daergar if its working without problems now on his computer :)
have a nice evening!

Offline vota dc

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 01:57:01 PM »
Downloaded but forgot how to reactivate advance custom battle.
Anyway Corsair are supposed to have the best evil bow. Also Dale cavalry is supposed to be quite bad, not just worse Rohan but also worse than generic Gondor cavalry because they live in valley/mountains far from plains.

Offline Kwal

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 07:05:39 PM »
Dale cavalry is so rare that I don't think it matters much. They're the smallest threat to my orcs from a Dale army.

Overall I really like this one, mostly like normal TLD but more playable, just what I wanted, so thanks Bladnir and great job! Elves are still terrifying but now I can actually win on normal difficulty with 5 times more troops (orcs) :) And I like how tough the dwarves are now. Killing a highest tier dwarf takes a lot of effort.

I haven't observed everything yet, but so far my only critique is not even really balance-related:
 Some swords (Dale, Mordor) don't really look like they can be used 2-handed. I'd rather see the Mordor bastard swords getting a buff over the 1-handed swords for instance.
 Mordor's horses are stolen from Rohan iirc so should be some of the most powerful.
 It doesn't feel apropriate to capture elves, although I don't think it's really anti-lore. Just selling them for torture and slavery seems pointless, them being so wise and fearless...if I were evil and twisted I'd probably kill them on the spot.

Also a small suggestion if you haven't already considered it: changing (mostly nerfing) special reward weapon stats. The swords aren't fun with their natural stats, the battles become a wheat field for your scythe. Especially because of the 120-140 speed. I adjust them myself now but figured it would fit a balance mod.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 07:09:37 PM by Kwal »

Offline Bladnir

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 07:06:48 PM »
Alright I took you two by the word and made Dales warhorses the worst. Also, Mordor ones are now better, and Corsairs got the best bows in the new version. I fixed the "tableau_woodman_tunic" error when entering Rohirrim citys from the regular installation... It took me 4 hours. Now i am done. I still think capturing elves is quite lore friendly since it was said orcs are the twisted abominations that came out when morgoth tortured some elves for far too long. But if you think killing them on the spot is better, its your choice, you can still do that in the camping menu i guess ;)
Have fun.

Offline Kwal

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 11:25:26 AM »
True, I just have a hard time picturing a rabble of orcs putting up with elf prisoners (or eating their flesh for that matter), but indeed it's not really a problem. Although so far, the only elves I've captured are from Lothlorien, while I'm mainly fighting Mirkwood elves. Thanks for fixing that error, it also happened whenever I fought Rohan so I could only send my troops against them. I'll post here if I run into anything else :P

Offline Bladnir

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 06:20:48 PM »
Yea oh please try not to find another fixable error. That was horrible... I tried editing 5 different editor texts and finally came to the conclusion that the whole normal 3.23 install is only functioning with the installed item list of RCM because the developers had that installed when zipping the install file... then there were only kind of 900 different rows in the text which might be the problem... and no... it wasnt the "woodman_tunic" row... that would ve been too easy.. took ages of trials and errors to identify the right one and port it from the RCM text file without deleting the rest of my own item changes.
Oh... by the way, I changed some values with the dwarves since version 1.1. The middle tier troops are better than the low tiers now. before it was like everything going under and over without a real order. Think its better now

Offline Hidole555

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 07:10:06 PM »
After coming back to TLD after almost a year I'm going to start playing again using your submod. It makes the evil factions more playable while keeping the original feel of the mod. It's exactly what I was looking for!  :green:
If I find something buggy or something really awesome I'll be sure to post back, otherwise you can just consider me a pleased user of the submod.

P.S. On a side note, I would like more food units per item like in Grothag's submod but his other changes went too far for my tastes. If someone knows how I could implement that one change into my game myself I would be very happy.

Offline Bladnir

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 10:05:24 AM »
Sure I can do that for you. how much more food per food item would you like to have? 150%? 200%?

Offline Triglav

• I'll bite your axe off!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 07:07:37 AM »
P.S. On a side note, I would like more food units per item like in Grothag's submod but his other changes went too far for my tastes. If someone knows how I could implement that one change into my game myself I would be very happy.

Just so you know... We purposely made orcs consume food faster, so that they'd always be hungry, so that they'd bicker and infight more and so that the player would be forced to feed them more prisoners... Countering that with more food per item kinda defeats the purpose...
"Of course, just by reading this forum you get a geek point. If you post you get a lifetime membership card.
If you contribute to the mod your praises are sung by the lords of dorkistan for an age and a half."
-Ancientwanker

Offline Lengua Muerta

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 12:56:54 PM »

Just so you know... We purposely made orcs consume food faster, so that they'd always be hungry, so that they'd bicker and infight more and so that the player would be forced to feed them more prisoners... Countering that with more food per item kinda defeats the purpose...
And I like that.
I've always played as an orc. Always - everything else is either just too boring or easy (specially good factions). :P

By the way, I like the changes done to the orcs. So far, Mordor has crippled Gondor in just a week. We kickin' ass.
Now it's just a matter of time to meet those pesky Elves, and see if we can actually take thm out (Moria's been doing an average work though).