Author Topic: Büg Reports  (Read 25404 times)

Meister Katzhandler

Re: Schattenländer - Into the Darklands
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2007, 05:16:41 PM »
Hellequin, this is great stuff! Congratulations!

It's going to take me a little while longer to defeat those damn guards, but I'll get that alchemist yet!

In the meantime, most of the bugs I've noticed seem to have already been picked up.  I'd note that the church bell is way too loud.  I like it, but the volume is far above any other sound effect.  If it could be turned down rather a lot, it'd be great.

Here's to 0.1b!

Offline Hellequin

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2007, 05:21:02 PM »
Thanks!

Church bell noted.  I've actually got a couple of options, Jeansberg did me some shorter samples as well, so we'll be attacking the cacaphony a couple of different ways.

A question for everyone trying this out: is the alchemist himself causing you any trouble?  His guards are deliberately tough, that's part of the point, but I'm curious whether he, himself, is actually throwing his potions to any effect against you.  He's got pretty good skills with throwing, but in my experience he suffers from the usual ranged-AI issues.  How have you guys been finding him?

Offline KON_Air

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2007, 05:44:31 PM »
They sometimes toss all their potions (at least I was saw one throw two of them), sometimes they stands still and thinks what they should do (especially if your sister is a horse archer). I guess the problem is speed travel speed of potions, sometimes they stop to calculate, sometime they throw the potions in your face.

Offline Hellequin

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2007, 05:51:01 PM »
The AI isn't making any decisions based on the travel speed of the potions.  The AI can't actually even tell that the potion bottles exist at all, not even when they explode.  The alchemist thinks he's throwing a rock at you. ;)  That's just the usual AI's indecisive handling of ranged combat.

Offline KON_Air

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2007, 06:11:48 PM »
It doesn't matter if it is a rock or not, when the shoot_speed is that low, AI will still try to score a direct hit and as the target move it will try to compansate again and again... if alchemist has equipped a stone/potion at all. Even then that wouldn't cause them to stand still and look around, maybe a second or two at potion ready to be thrown pose, so yeah you are right.

Also is it natural for inventory chest to stalk an alchemist? Encounter; Alchemist and I meet (he was running infront of guards), he tosses a potion but misses (hey, 30 years old veteran with high athletics!) he side steps and falls down to a river from some height. My sister is archer waiting behind I gues that two exchange arrows and a potion while I was busy with guards. Done with guards, I jump down the river, Alchemist turns around and throws a lightining potion and then tada, inventory chest happens to be somewhere near him.

Is that something freaky, or the potions codes cause it.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 07:16:55 PM by KON_Air »

Scion

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2007, 09:56:10 AM »
Great mod, feels like a different game! (in a good way) I suspect that I`m going to play this quite a lot.

I had a CTD when visiting the stables. One guy fell unconcious instantly and then I got some Windows message. Also, the bartender had an arguement with somebody when I entered. Then I became the bartender as my own character running past myself. Sorry for not giving more details or checking if the bugs are posted before, but I`m playing.

Offline Hellequin

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2007, 10:25:58 AM »
Thanks, guys!

Scion, the CTD after the explosion near the inn (not stables) is a repeat of Ursca's issue and is probably my most major unresolved bug.  Next time it happens, could you please record the error message as exactly as possible, and write down the most recent few scenes you'd been in and how they'd gone?  Also, is your system relatively high-end or low-end (it could be performance issues)?

The self-duplication is fixed in 0.1b, which (editing post) is now up at the Repository.  See first post.  I recommend everyone re-download to stay up-to-date, some of the bugs fixed were what I would consider pretty serious stuff.  Probably not perfectly savegame-compatible, although all you'll see if you choose to continue a 0.1 savegame is perhaps some wrong description strings about potions and saints, or some wrong location names for klosters and things, at worst.  But 0.1b, in addition to bugfixes, adds one new piece of content which only occurs right at game start, so you'll miss it until the next time you start a new game anyway.

Jeansberg - yes, mp3 files play as SFX.  Once Armagan gives us a (stop_sound_effects) operation as he's explicitly promised to do, then we'll really be cooking with gas and our players will get to see the full effects of your hard work.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 11:10:17 AM by Hellequin »

Mad_Hamish

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2007, 03:55:27 PM »
Reader's note - bug reports from 0.1b release begin here

I'm getting a problem with hiring labs. When ever I hire a lab to use then it goes to an encounter screen which shows my party and then the towns name below it but there is no buttons anywhere so the game just crashes, this happened in 0.1b but you had to ctrl+alt+delete to get out of that and when you went back onto the save you were still on the encounter screen.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 12:54:42 PM by Hellequin »

Offline Hellequin

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2007, 06:13:16 PM »
That bug is, I think, the same one noted under 0.1c known bugs on the front page.  Which isn't to say that I'm not grateful; having you suggest it's tied to the lab rental gives me a point to start debugging it.  But yes, right now it appears that lab rental isn't a good idea, it won't always (?) crash the game but it might.

It is, by the way, not necessary.  It's a +2 skill bonus, not a prerequisite.  Doing alchemy in the inn is still much easier than doing it in camp, for instance.

Mad_Hamish

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2007, 10:53:37 AM »
You can do it at the Inn? How?

Offline Hellequin

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2007, 11:44:24 AM »
Let me rephrase that, and offer a small alchemy tutorial.  I'll need to find a way to put this in-game somewhere, not sure where.  Note that in 0.1, local reputation and alchemy botch consequences are not yet implemented, so the risks I describe actually aren't risks yet, but they will be.

The only way to brew potions is to stay at an inn, village, or campsite, and select "Do alchemy work" for one or more characters.  (If you select more than one, the one with the highest skill will take the lead and the others may add dice.  Note that having very clueless helpers can potentially make things worse, not better!)  When you spend a day on your various activities, you'll be presented with a selection menu where you can choose which potion to try and make, along with how many doses.  Note that I am planning to change this menu from coming up after the day goes by, to before, so you can plan it better and choose something else if necessary.  It's just trickier to code it that way.

Brewing at a campsite is the safest option - if you blow something up, the worst it'll do is make the campsite uninhabitable, no big deal.  But it carries a penalty to your alchemy score, because pine needles and drifting seeds are not recommended inclusions in your Morienus' Transformation, and a campfire makes a lousy furnace.  Brewing in a village has no bonus or penalty to your skill, but if you anger the villagers due to a botch it's a slightly bigger deal; villages are also rarer than campsites, so you might have to walk further before you happen across one.  Brewing in an inn carries a small bonus to your skill, but the potential consequences of leveling it are much more severe.

Schattenlander adds one last option which wasn't in Darklands, the option to rent lab space from the city alchemist, and use that instead of doing it in your inn room.  You still use the inn as your base of operations for daily activities while in town, but you pay the agreed-upon fee and get a substantially larger bonus than the inn by itself grants.  However, the potential botch consequences are even more severe; it's one thing to piss off an innkeeper, it's quite another to accidentally level a powerful alchemist's laboratory, while your combatant friends are off praying or being masters-at-arms somewhere!

When looking at consequences, bear in mind that some potions are intrinsically stabler than others.  Screwing them up will still have consequences, but they're more likely to take the form of additional fees and disgruntlement, rather than deadly explosions.  This information isn't currently accessible in-game, I need to add a dialogue option to look over your recipes.  The 'quester's tools' links from http://www.darklands.net/ will provide you with this data, potions are labeled LRM for low risk magic, MRM or HRM for riskier types.

This tutorial will get incorporated into the game somewhere, eventually.  For now, here it is.

jeansberg

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2007, 11:55:51 AM »
Reader's note - bug reports from 0.1c release begin here

I haven't heard any church-bells anywhere in the game. When are you supposed to hear them?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 12:55:12 PM by Hellequin »

Offline Hellequin

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2007, 12:03:52 PM »
Jeansberg - I was having that trouble with 0.1b occasionally, haven't been in 0.1c; curious.  You should be hearing them every three game-hours, whenever you are in or near a city; when you rest, they should (currently) overlap somewhat as they ring over and over.  (I'm hoping to eventually replace this with one play of the longer sample, I think, but that's going to be a little trickier than it looks.)  Try going to a few different cities and resting in each, it may have to do with the random selection of churchbell type by city.  If you're using a 0.1/0.1b savegame in 0.1c, that's also a possible cause.  Try those, and please let me know how it worked.

Sheep_Archer

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2007, 06:00:52 PM »
MY GOD THIS MOD IS THE MOST AWESOME ONE I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!!

Offline Hellequin

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2007, 09:30:03 PM »
Well, that's heartfelt, if inarticulate.  Thank you!

Just wanted to let everyone know that I have finally encountered, myself, the issue first reported by Jeansberg, where the opening conversations open on a menu with no escape.  Curiously, I then went back and repeated everything exactly - down to the individual skill point selections - and it worked fine.  I may eventually be able to come up with an "escape" route from this, but it's obviously a bug somewhere deep-seated, which my code happens to discover.  I've patched a couple of the possible causes in the upcoming 0.1d code, and we'll see if it continues to recur.

I suspect it may be similar to the occasional bug whereby the 'bounce' to world map which is used frequently in the mod (most notably when travelling around town or when using potions) fails to trigger, and you only end up in the destination menu the next time you deliberately encounter something.  This, too, is impossible given the code, it's an actual M&B bug of some kind.  If this happens to anyone, by the way, either going back to the save you just loaded (if playing save-and-return), or saving and re-loading, seems to repair it.

And just to whet some appetites... the upcoming 0.1d release, hopefully by the end of this weekend if this $#@! bug dies and I get enough time tomorrow, contains a pretty massive dose of new content in terms of the potions and saints.  You used to only have three potion classes, all of them in-combat types.  Look forward to more than a dozen, including more thrown potions and many noncombat ones, and a similar increase in the number of saints' blessings which actually work...

- Hellequin