login

Author Topic: Büg Reports  (Read 25064 times)

Offline Hellequin

• View Profile
Büg Reports
« on: January 14, 2007, 03:09:10 PM »
Known bugs in version 0.1d:
- Some town selections, esp. right after setpiece dialogues such as your sibling's character creation sequence or the bonus companion's very first appearance, appear to either freeze in an internal loop or to bring you to a null menu (the old-fashioned fight menu).  Either is fatal to the game, so try to save after these dialogues if possible.
- Framerate losses and some CTD during the setpiece fight (you'll know it when you see it, when a menu item brings to to events ongoing rather than to the usual menu entry).  Framerate losses are to be expected, try looking away from the lights.  CTD causes unknown, please PM to report if it happens to you.
- Fields with lots of thrown potions appear to be haunted by hovering inventory chests.  This is the mythical german Jägerluggage, it just wasn't meant to appear in these scenes. ;)  Please ignore, it doesn't bite (yet). This seems to have gone away in more recent builds, despite my having done nothing to fix it.
- There may be a mesh issue causing RGL error & CTD with the halberd and pole-hammer items.  Best to save before you buy one.

Addressed bugs from earlier versions:
- Self-duplication in the alchemist's shop.  Found and fixed in 0.1b.
- Brewing potions does not work; no potions appear on the list regardless of inventory or known formulae.  Fix from 0.1b wasn't fully successful, fixed all the way in 0.1c, please report if issue persists.
- Towns, or blank spaces, holding up their hand to warn your party of the arrival of bandits.  Found and fixed in 0.1b.
- Prayers which should enhance your stats (sometimes? only on PC?) do basically the reverse.  Confirmed fixed in 0.1c, please report if issue persists.
- Clicking the 'Q'uests button while on the world map causes a CTD error.  Fixed in v0.1b.
- Some encounters are giving no loot on a win, taking no loot on a loss, or being solved by menu options which shouldn't have solved them.  Aborting throwing a potion to distract bandits is no longer just as good as throwing one.  Alchemist now properly takes all your potions/reagents when he wins.  Both fixed in 0.1b.  Loot from bandits tests OK in 0.1c, though they're poor - expect the occasional lousy haul.
- The monks ringing those church bells just don't seem to sleep, even when you're trying to. ;)  Improved at least slightly in 0.1b, partly a matter of taste, comments welcome.  Shorter bell sounds at lower volume incorporated as of 0.1c.  Still a little cacaphonous but shorter and quieter now, comparable with the other SFX.  Expect this to get further tuned as time goes by.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 12:52:25 PM by Hellequin »

Offline Ursca

• Deus Vult Dev
    • View Profile
Re: Schattenländer - Into the Darklands
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 04:30:24 AM »
Reader's note - bug reports from 0.1a release begin here

Very, very nice. First impressions;  Bit buggy (only to be expected), little confusing to start off with, but it looks deep and complex with some nice set encounters.

Quick bug list so far;
  • When entering the alchemist's shop in the first town (forgotten the name) You get the set text from Franz and the shop keeper, then you find yourself in the shopkeeper's place, looking at a clone of yourself! Obviously some devilry going on.
  • You get the error 'Too many quests' when you click the quests button while outside. It then closes M&B.
  • When you reach the inn at Salzathingy, it blows up, then someone starts shooting at you, and then it CTD's.

That Hostile alchemist encounter is nasty! You either die trying to fight all those guards, or you lose all your expensive potions. I got that twice in the first 5 minutes of the game.  :(
Also, is the potion throwing range supposed to be that short? I blow myself up everytime I use one.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 12:53:51 PM by Hellequin »

jeansberg

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 06:49:44 AM »
When I had an encounter on the world map, I chose 'flush them out with a potion'. I then got to pick the person for the job, but both my character and his sister were greyed out (probably didn't have any potions). It still worked, though, as I got the message about the ambushers running away.

I really liked how you made the menu system work. The cities seem much bigger now. :)

Offline KON_Air

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 07:58:23 AM »
    * When entering the alchemist's shop in the first town (forgotten the name) You get the set text from Franz and the shop keeper, then you find yourself in the shopkeeper's place, looking at a clone of yourself! Obviously some devilry going on.

Tabbing out going back fixes it.

***Spoiler; Go to Bremen attempt to visit an Inn. Only if it didn't killed my FPS. There is something truly a first in M&B.Spoiler***

Offline Hellequin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 08:22:03 AM »
Xawery - I have a list but it's informal; I'd rather get unvarnished bug reports.  I'll probably be doing a 0.1.1 bugfix as soon as I track the worst ones down.

KON_Air - it's not city-specific. And yeah, it's hell on FPS.  Try looking away. :)  And brewing potions is accomplished by staying overnight at the inn, or a village or campsite... but is also one of the bugs currently present.  You'll just have to buy 'em for now.

Jeansberg - Interesting, thank you.  I'll look into that, I'm not sure why it worked anyway. 

Ursca - thanks.  The duplicate self in the alchemist's shop is something that didn't happen until the eleventh hour; it was working, dammit. ;)  I'll figure out why ASAP.  For now, yeah, it only crops up once, just leave and come back.  Thanks for the info about the Quests button... for reference, there are no functional Quests in the M&B sense yet, so you can ignore the Q button currently.  Potion throwing range is intended to be somewhat short, but I may be bringing it up based on commentary as folks try it out.  It's on the 'watch list' of gameplay parameters.

The CTD is likely a performance overload issue, but if you (or anyone else who gets one) could get me as good a report as possible, I'd appreciate it.  I may have to include a toggle to turn down the FX in that scene for people with slower machines... but as I said to KON_Air, try looking away (esp. when fighting), it helps a lot.

- Hellequin
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 08:24:01 AM by Hellequin »

Offline Ursca

• Deus Vult Dev
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 09:12:22 AM »
I't's unlikely to be a performance overload, my machine's fairly high-spec.
I got it again, this time in Bremen. It crashed just as I heard the smashing noise, and I wasn't even looking at it.  ???

Other things;
  • I lost a fight with a hostile alchemist and my items weren't taken away.
  • You don't get any loot when you fight off bandits.
  • When staying overnight in a town, the church bells sound plays every second or so, creating a bit of a cacophony when they overlap each other.

Considering the amount of new mechanics, It's holding up pretty damn well though. Good job!

Oh and the Wild hunt; Unprovoked automatic party slaughter? That's pure evil.  >:D

Offline KON_Air

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 09:19:04 AM »
I bought a recipe from a merchant, as myself is an alchemit, and had another alchemist in my party, I rented lab from alchemist (then brilliantly) returned to Inn and chose brew potions for alchemist. Next morning "pick potion" list was empty "Nevermind" returned to same list. I clicked in hopes of "how many times a loop can loop"... apperantly a loop loops forever :shock:

And... oh... what ingredients for which potion? A list somewhere?

jeansberg

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 10:00:01 AM »
When I talk to Anya about starting the 'quest' I get a menu with no return. I keep clicking the only option and nothing happens.

When a random encounter menu comes up the 'person' seems to be missing in the text. For example 'Suddenly <Blank> holds up a hand...' Only, it doesn't actually say '<Blank>', it's just an empty space.

Offline KON_Air

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 10:23:11 AM »
It happened again. Having more then one person to do alchemy causes the menu to loop.

I hate that bug, I have just impaled an alchemist and went to inn without saving...

Offline Hellequin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 10:54:08 AM »
Thanks, guys.  In no particular order:

1) Multiple alchemists at the same time - aha! Thanks.  That's an area I'd meant to upgrade anyway (give you the option to either work independently or to have the less skilled one help the better one), and as such there's some code in there which could well be an issue with two simultaneous selections of that option.  Danke!

2) There are lists of potions and ingredients available online, the best of which is a nifty flash app hereshould display its list of ingredients when you select it to consider brewing doses.  But that was literally added in at 1AM last night and the above bug prevented me from testing it, I was trying to multiple-hit the testing cycle with many alchemists :(.  As I said; until v0.1b, it may be best to just buy your potions premade (if you can afford it).  I promise to fix this one ASAP.

3) Jeansberg - can you be more specific?  As I say, there are no quests of any kind enabled in this release, other than arguably the storyline to get the bonus companion, so I'm not even sure which line of dialogue you're referring to (and there are a lot of them).  Do you mean the "can you watch things while I go take care of stuff" dialogue option?

4) Ursca, still CTD - hmm.  Alas, there are many things happening simultaneously at that point, so the timing doesn't help much to isolate the issue.  If I had your machine I could troubleshoot it, but I don't.  If I don't find any better way to debug it, I may send you a version which has a selection of slightly-crippled variants on that fight, and a menu which lets you choose between them, see which ones do work.

5) Jeansberg again - which encounter is this?  I can probably fix this easily if you let me know which one.

6) The church bells issue is a known one and is being worked on.  I kinda like the cacaphony, myself, but I suspect it'll get old fast.

7) Bandits with no loot - weird.  Will check that.  I haven't ever failed to get loot yet.  Their cash supply is intentionally sucky, but they should have at least something for items.

8) Hostile alchemist doesn't take your alchemy supplies - again weird.  Even in earliest implementation that's worked fine for me right from the first go.  If you can describe the options you chose before the fight and how they went for you, that might help.

9) The Wild Hunt will be almost that nasty when it's implemented.  Just more visual.  Evil's the name of the game.

Keep 'em coming, guys.  Later today I'll collate all submitted bug reports near the top of this thread so folks won't have to read through to find 'em.

- Hellequin

jeansberg

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 11:52:43 AM »
When I talk to Anya about starting the 'quest' I get a menu with no return. I keep clicking the only option and nothing happens.
With quest I mean the 'adventure' your sister is talking about after character generation.

When a random encounter menu comes up the 'person' seems to be missing in the text. For example 'Suddenly <Blank> holds up a hand...' Only, it doesn't actually say '<Blank>', it's just an empty space.
This happened during several encounters, but I'm pretty sure one of them was when you think you're about be ambushed and you get options to talk your way out, scare them with potions, sneak or fight.

Offline Ursca

• Deus Vult Dev
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 01:02:42 PM »
Quote from: Hellequin
I may send you a version which has a selection of slightly-crippled variants on that fight...
Go ahead. I'll see what I can find out.

The church bells issue is a known one and is being worked on.  I kinda like the cacaphony, myself, but I suspect it'll get old fast.
The main problem was that I was wearing headphone with the volume on high. Ouch.  :P

If you can describe the options you chose before the fight and how they went for you, that might help.
Umm.. I think I pleaded for mercy, failed, they attacked, and I lost the fight. I had the potions you start off with. An Arabian fire, a lightning and the breath. I used the Arabian fire during the fight.

Just thought of another one I had.
Before the bandit encounter, I was alerted to the ambush by a character in my party that had the same name as the town I'd just left. It was the one to the north of Leipzig.
Obviously, there was no such character in my party...

Offline Hellequin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 02:22:07 PM »
Shiny.

Ursca - your having the bandits pointed out to you by an entire city was the clue I needed; thanks, found and fixed.

Jeansberg - I'm still puzzled by your post-character-creation menu thing.  Do you mean the menu which shows, "Leaving the inn, you head out into the main streets of <town>.  The day seems fresh, new, and sharp - as though golden with potential" ?  And is the only option you see the one which says, "Set forth upon your adventure" ?  Do you get that consistently, or did you just get it once?  How were you able to keep playing?

jeansberg

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 02:57:06 PM »
That's exactly what I mean. It happened once, and I closed the game. I don't think there was a way of continuing.

Offline Hellequin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2007, 03:25:04 PM »
Hm.  I really don't see a way in the code through which that could possibly have happened.  The only one I can imagine having happened, I can put a safeguard in place to protect against; if it ever happens again, please let me know.  Had you (a) talked to the innkeeper, (b) talked to Anya, or (c) both, before leaving the inn prior to that message?  And if so, what did you talk to them about?  Did you trade items with either (this, surprisingly, could be the most likely culprit)?

-------------------------------------
Bug reports, plus bugsquishes, now collated on the front page, post #3 of this thread.