login

Author Topic: Content queries & Suggestions  (Read 30443 times)

Offline Hellequin

• View Profile
Re: Content queries & Suggestions
« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2007, 10:14:53 AM »
Grud - that's a really neat idea, although if you want to contribute and can model in Blender, I have many, many more high-priority tasks that you could be helping with.  I'm serious; modelling is one of our biggest lacks at this time, even if you can't rig, but especially if you can.  Contact me via PM if you're interested.  You could be seriously expediting our v0.2 status with efforts targeted right...

That specific scene is nice, for instance, but the high contrast is actually a downside (because I'm planning to put them behind text) and the edges are still "computery sharp" which I know is one of the hardest things to get right.  You might try playing around with sculpture mode or something, to unsharpen those.  Or just post-process in Photoshop or something.

But I mean it.  If you can use Blender and want to see us succeed, PM me, and I can suggest any number of things we desperately need, whereas the original art really looks quite good (and not too low-res) once you fade it into a watermark.  (All of our modelling team, btw, is Blender users, so you're in good company compatibility-wise.)

- Hellequin

Grud Henflair

« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2007, 12:17:10 PM »
Ah, sorry.  I did not check the welcome thread first and did not see that you had imported the old graphics with such success.  I will be happy to try my hand at whatever your most high priority modeling projects might be.

Fenril

« Reply #77 on: March 29, 2007, 08:44:53 AM »
Coming in a bit late...

I would just like to say if anyone needs someone to contribute with anything that is NOT techincal or scripting related, im around :P

Just a couple of questions...

So, do you intend to add any content/plot or quests that are not taken or derived from the original Darklands?

Do you intend to use the basic siege system used in other mods for the old robber baron quests?

Any plans for an equivalent to darklands rest menu?

Is it possible to create mine/dungeon like maps? A working reputation meter?

Sorry if most of this is already answered, a bit excited about this mod, and this thread is huge :P

Offline Hellequin

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 29, 2007, 12:21:38 PM »
Fenril - I do still have one big task which is nontechnical, and if you're willing to sit down and do it that would be awesome.  What I need someone to do is to take the original game, plus probably the character editor (can be obtained from www.darklands.net), and map out the parameter space of "day job" activities vs. skills vs. skill levels.  This would involve making a set of characters and putting them to work, noting how much they stand to make and in which professions, and then tinkering with their skills (and possibly stats?) to see at what values of which skills they (a) make more money doing the same job, and (b) change to a different job, presumably making more money there.

I'm assuming the final algorithms will look something like this:
"...as a scribe" - makes 5pf/day with Read/Write 10-19; 6pf/day with R/W 20-29; 7pf/day with R/W 30+.  With Int 20+, makes +1pf/day above these numbers.
That's an example; what I need is all the real numbers which would go into that formula.

It should probably only take an evening's intensive (and repetitive) work to map this out properly.  If you do that for me within (say) the next couple of weeks, that's the earliest I can see releasing v0.2, and armed with that it'll be child's play for me to code the same functionality into the mod.  Which will get you into the credits for sure.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for your other questions:

I plan to entirely finish implementing the stuff that was in the original game, first, before I add anything particularly new - except the companions and their associated plotlines, which will be fresh quest-content of a sort.  Then I plan to add in a mix of completely new content, and also some very interesting content which is visible in the Darklands source but which was (as far as I can tell) never accessible in actual play.  Presumably it wasn't ready for primetime by the time they said "enough! ship it!".

I will be using the same menu structure that was in the original, for the raubritten and everything else based on that.  It puzzles me that people put so much priority on a siege system; it's just linked menus and setpiece fights, both of which I could at this point code almost in my sleep.  They just grow naturally out of the Darklands engine, no more or less complicated than the witchwoman's hut or the like.  So no, I won't be using the siege system you may have seen elsewhere; there's no need to do so.

At first, I had thought that I would use the "campsite" icons which - even in 0.1d - you will find periodically on the map (especially if you have high Perception and Woodwise in your party), as your only way to make camp.  I think I'm going to allow camping also from party dialogue, it just won't be in a really good (defensible, hidden, well-provisioned) site, and as such there will be penalties to alchemy and healing, and a higher risk rate gain, compared to the use of the found "good campsite" icons.  Paying for lodgings, even in a village, will be better yet, and cities are the best for these things.

If you play Storymod Ch1, you'll see an example of a dungeon-like map.  They're quite possible, they're just tricky and a lot of work.  Don't expect mines and the fortress monastery and so forth before about v0.4 or thereabouts.  Reputation, on the other hand, is comparatively easy - the biggest challenge is simply that it has very pervasive effects, lots of other code needs tweaking to take your rep into account.  That's probably a v0.3 release item.

Glad you're enjoying things so far!

bryce

« Reply #79 on: April 29, 2007, 07:27:39 PM »
You can get all that from the darklands cluebook.

Sir Mc Dugan

« Reply #80 on: April 30, 2007, 06:40:50 PM »

Nalfein

« Reply #81 on: May 14, 2007, 06:05:23 PM »
I'm sorry if this has already been addressed, or if this is the wrong section, but whenever i go to a sword smith/Armour  it kicks me out and says " Cannot find mesh 'landersheck_polearm" (spelt wrong)

Aeradir

« Reply #82 on: June 09, 2007, 01:37:42 PM »
Hello, I just finished trying the mod for the first time and I kinda liked it, but few questions:
  • How do I know which attributes to add in the beginning? If I want to be an alchemic or something what should I add?
  • Where do I get members in my party?
  • Why is fighting so hard?

Galdred

« Reply #83 on: June 15, 2007, 05:24:20 PM »
Hello, I just finished trying the mod for the first time and I kinda liked it, but few questions:
  • How do I know which attributes to add in the beginning? If I want to be an alchemic or something what should I add?
  • Where do I get members in my party?
  • Why is fighting so hard?
Concerning character creation, your best bet would probably to consult gamefaqs for the original Darklands game: http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/file/564659/1897, or you can read the Darklands cluebook, but I don't remember where I downloaded it. Probably on Darklands.net or Abandonia.
In the original game, you needed to have all of your characters with high Str, high stamina, and at least one with a high score in each of the remaining stat:
Int => alchemy
Ag => artificer
Per => no special role (can be religious, as religion is not based on a stat)
Char => for interactions with NPC
However, I suppose Ag is critical now, unless the combat has been changed in the mod to the point weapon speed is no more determined by Ag.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 06:15:44 PM by Galdred »

Galdred

« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2007, 09:34:33 AM »
I thinlk the loot should be wisiwyg too, as in the original Darklands, where you could loot everything the ennemy used, especially since the fights are much harder than in native MnB, and the equipment deteriorates at insane rate (If I recall, in Darklands, it didn't wear off that much because of fighting, the main cause was eater water potions).

The wild hunt seems to be occuring without being triggered by having dealt with a witch or a high sabbat before (and they indeed completely kicked my ass :p ).
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 11:54:51 AM by Galdred »

ebak

« Reply #85 on: August 29, 2007, 01:40:57 PM »
There are a lot of new things coming up for M&B... sieges, RCM, etc.  If this mod pushes through, it may be worthwhile to take a look at what the community has which can be used in the mod

Servitor

« Reply #86 on: November 27, 2007, 06:37:40 AM »
Lol?

This mod 's no longer work'n... Last post before yours in this tread was in June.