Author Topic: Content queries & Suggestions  (Read 32738 times)

Offline Fisheye

• Blues Brother
  • Guildsman
  • My scalp's so bright, I gotta wear shades.
    • View Profile
Re: Content queries & Suggestions
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2007, 12:20:35 PM »
4-6. 7 tops. Once you get to 8, anonymity sets in.

You know, that thing about people being able to keep 7 things in their head at the same time on average.

Offline Hellequin

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2007, 01:58:29 PM »
4-6. 7 tops. Once you get to 8, anonymity sets in.

You know, that thing about people being able to keep 7 things in their head at the same time on average.
Not my reason, but identical to my conclusion.  I'm even leery of 7; I think 7 is the "max party plus a hireling" if indeed I end up distinguishing hirelings from other companions in that way.  (Doing a mission for the Hanseatic League etc. might just be one of the routes to getting one of the companions in the game; that would be consistent with the rest of the approach.  The disadvantage of 'Hanse' would definitely be that he's temporary and demands that your party actively pursue the quest in question.)

Offline Hellequin

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2007, 05:40:50 PM »
I've considered that before, and I must say I'm sort of torn on that one.  See, the original game had the same problem/feature; you only got to find out about the game functions of a saint after you paid good money for the knowledge.  And I always thought that was kind of apt, in a way; you're paying for knowledge, you don't get a sneak peek.

Mind you, the current pricing is arbitrary (I set it at a tithe - ten percent - of your wealth, with a certain minimum); it may have been cheaper in the original, I haven't done the investigation yet.

On the other hand, it's not like I can keep that information from you entirely.  Only if it were randomized (to a greater or lesser degree) per game would that be possible.  There are plenty of online sources which will list off the saints' functions for you, and it was in the manual of the original as well.

The most likely thing for me to do is to put in a "confirmation" screen where, after selecting to study, you see the saint's prayer screen and then choose whether to continue or to choose another saint.

Would people prefer that approach, or would you like to remain in the dark until after you spend your money?

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2007, 09:18:22 PM »
On the saints, DL had a huge game book that read like the instruction manual to a fighter aircraft.  Something in-game (confirmation screens, popup help, something) would be preferable to that.

The "look things up in the book" routine is not only out-of-date, it requires a paper manual be distributed with the release.  Not the direction you want to go.

one-armed man

« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2007, 01:41:24 PM »
Please feel free to post your questions about existing content (how does brewing work?)

what he said.

note: I looked through (not all) this topic and the "start here" topic and couldn't find the answer. am I missing something obvious?
I went into an alchemist's shop and asked him if I could rent his stuff for a certain amount of cash/day - he said yes and nothing else happened.

Offline Hellequin

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2007, 04:04:26 PM »
I've put a brief tutorial on brewing up, but since it was in a post about bugs it ended up (once we acquired a subforum) in Bug Reports.  It'll end up more usefully documented in the main thread at some point, and there will probably also be an in-game tutorial on it too, but that's a long way off.

The existing tutorial is here for the time being.

one-armed man

« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2007, 05:44:28 AM »
Thanks. That doesn't help entirely though; I defeated a couple of travelling alchemists and nicked their stuff, but I still can't do any alchemy. Do I need a potion to start off with, or some equipment?

Also, is it possible to raise my riding skill? Apparently I have 0 and I can't raise it by riding horses, cos I can't ride any, and I can't find anywhere to raise skill.

cheers

Offline Hellequin

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2007, 11:04:11 AM »
Do you know any formulas?  Sounds like not.  Try asking about "buying some knowledge" from the town alchemist.  It'll cost you, though.  Mind you, if you built one of your characters as an alchemist then he/she should know at least one, and if not, then you're probably not going to be able to succeed.  Not until tutors are in place and you spend a lot of time and money learning the art.

If you've found Franz and gotten him into your party, you'll be better off in this respect.  If not, keep searching.

As for the Riding skill thing, nice catch.  Hadn't occurred to me that you might have a bootstrapping issue.  Maybe I'll make sure there exists a mount with no Ride requirement (either downgrade the Sumpter, or add a Mule or something).  Anyway, I'll make sure to address that in the final edition; I do want you to be able to hire tutors for most things, even the ones that have other means of increase.  For now, you'll have to fight on foot; that's okay, that's how Schattenlander is mostly intended to be played, there will be many encounters which (for one reason or another) can't be fought on horseback anyway.

one-armed man

« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2007, 11:13:32 AM »
Yeah I found Franz, but I didn't defeat the guards. Also yeah I like fighting on foot for a change, it's much more challenging, and worthwhile with a smaller party size.

Also, how do you become able to pray to saints? Whenever there is a "pray to saint" option, say to try and pacify bandits, it's always greyed out or there's no saints on the list of who to pray to. My guy has 5/5 favour, apparently.

Offline Hellequin

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2007, 11:50:20 AM »
Saints?  There are two ways you access saints (three, in the upcoming v0.2).  Any of them require the expenditure of some Divine Favour (the 5/5 you were quoting); any of them require a successful invocation roll, which is based chiefly on the Religion skill of the person doing the praying and on the type of prayer (murmured, invoked, etc) chosen.  Any of them require that you first have studied the saint (via either a religious career path, or by visiting the monks' library in any city).  The saint will also have a minimum Virtue, which although it won't cause the saint to be greyed out, will make it far less likely that you'll succeed.

One, during certain menus (notably many, but not all, random encounters), you may get the opportunity to invoke a saint.  This is all well and good but only a very small number of the game's saints (usually 3-4 out of 125) are applicable in any given situation.  If you don't know one of those saints, it'll remain greyed out.  Prayers under these circumstances only affect the course of the menus; they do not grant statistical benefits.  We're also still working on extracting the "who is applicable when" information from the original game, and don't have all of it yet; so for some encounters there may actually not be any saints (yet) who are flagged as applicable in that situation, even if you somehow learned all 125 (which is quite literally impossible right now, and will be impossible for all practical purposes even in the final version).

Two, when you talk to your companions you can ask them to pray (or, by asking your #2 to watch things for you, you can go off by yourself and pray).  This grants statistical benefits to the recipient of the prayer, which will last until the next dawn or sunset.

The third one, not present in the 0.1d release, is that you can use either the prepared orders or on-the-fly orders mechanisms to make the simpler prayers during battle.  The effects are the same as in #2, but some effects (such as healing!) may be a hell of a lot more valuable at this point.

Does that help it make more sense?  Again this is something which will, eventually, get a tutorial in-game; that's just not a priority at this time.

- Hellequin

Offline Fisheye

• Blues Brother
  • Guildsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2007, 08:36:22 AM »
Regarding the original game:

Some undocumented evilness for you (which I bet you already know if you're a seasoned DL player):

Only the following potions are buyable (from alchemists or universities). This is 8 of 22 possible potions.
Eyeburn
Nox Aroma
T.bolt
Blk Cloud
Fleadust
Eater Water
Breath of Death
Sunburst

All the rest must be traded for. In particular Essence of Grace is an essential formula that you can't get for love or money unless you trade.

Of course there's no bloody hint or clue about this until mid-game when I started wondering where all the formulae are.... by then it's too bloody late to fix my low-charisma, low Spk-common alchemist who fails at trading formulae almost all the time. Oh well. I've got buttloads of religion and saints to reduce the handicap, at worst I'll save and reload until I get the goddamn trade I want.

Offline Fisheye

• Blues Brother
  • Guildsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2007, 08:48:40 AM »
Some unverified formulae from the yahoo groups board.

% for success with alchemist:
leader charisma
+ (leader speak common-30)/3
+ highest alch/3

% for success for all interactions in universities excluding saintly
knowledge:
default 5%
+ leader perception/4
+ leader intelligence/4
+ leader speak latin/3
+ highest alch/4

% for success in universities for saintly knowledge:
default 5%
+ highest perception/4
+ highest intelligence/4
+ highest religious knowledge/4
+ highest speak latin/3

Offline Hellequin

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2007, 11:48:14 AM »
Thanks, Fisheye, although the altered underlying mechanics will mean that those'll be guidelines rather than facts in Schattenlander.

Offline Fisheye

• Blues Brother
  • Guildsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2007, 01:17:33 PM »
After a few minutes of playing I've almost collected all the potions... saints are great for boosting interaction chances!

Grud Henflair

« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2007, 08:49:24 AM »
Hey guys,
I think this mod concept is absolutely fantastic and I want to see it succeed a great deal.  Therefore I've started working on some background scenes for the town menus and such.  It's slow going since RL constantly intrudes, but I think things are looking okay so far.  The idea is to do them all in Blender and recreate the originals closely, but with a bit more artistic flair.  Here's the first one I've got rendered decently.  Please let me know what you think.

http://gpf.kicks-ass.net/images/church02.jpg