login

Author Topic: Open betas for the next patch (3.2 is out)  (Read 163485 times)

Offline FleshyStarfish

• Guildsman
    • View Profile
Re: Open betas for the next patch (3.2 is out)
« Reply #150 on: November 24, 2012, 07:27:21 AM »
I agree. This is something that really bothers me as well.

In my last game as Rohan I just gave up and went to play Gondor. There is nothing you can do to stop the slaughter. If the cavalry must charge head on it would be much better if the cavalry  advanced along with the infantry and charge at the very last moment so that the infantry could follow and attack the Isengard troops occupied with fighting  or knocked down by the charge (that is/was the vanilla M&B AI if I remember correctly).

Another thing is that the AI employs the Rohan mounted skirmishers very poorly. One would think that if the lancers and riders must charge the Isengard line at least the skirmishers would circle around it and pelt their back with arrows but that does not happen if AI handles the troops.

I do not play the bad guys so I do not know how it is handled in the case of e.g. the haradrim, but I find the Rohan the least appealing faction. Its just really heart and immersion breaking to watch the finest horsemen in Middle Earth, their lords and king, mowed down by the filthy Uruk hai after a suicidal charge in the very beginning of the fight.

What I typically do is ally myself with Gondor from the onset (i.e. I start with their faction).  I do that because at the end you would spend all your time around Gondor's regions anyway, so you can build up a nice force of troops to use at Minas Tirith when needed.  Anyway, as a result, I typically field mainly infantry troops.  In the case of Rohan, this part is REALLY annoying.  So, what I do is just have my infantry go side by side with the Rohan infantry.  Usually we still win as I like to field a big army, even if most of them are greens.

FS
hay wud up guys u shud mak a mod about lyk stuff i dunno wut but it wuld b kool lyk mabe gangstas were u start ur gang n fite mofos huh
http://forums.taleworlds.net/index.php/topic,50345.msg1300951.html#msg130

Offline screech909

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 25, 2012, 02:26:08 AM »
Great game so far with limited bugs now... about bows, i understand why the normal bows do more damage because they are cuting vs the elven bows piercing...but after trading my elven bow for a strong bow, i have found that the strong bow is much better because of the fact that it can be used from horseback and deals more or less the same damage as my elven bow...jst throwing this out there...but because elven bows should and are stronger than other bows...maybe you should strengthen them more..like give them a greater damage output or allowing them to be used from horseback and just increasing the purchase cost or strength requirements for them

That is true, however, i have tried out some othe the other bows besides the strong bow that are cuting damage, and have noticed that they do suffer more so...so i guess that just the srtong bow is an equivalent for the elven bow...also i believe the soak factor for piercing damage is about 2 and since the strong bow is double the damage this makes since.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 11:00:05 PM by screech909 »

Offline London_Mark

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 25, 2012, 08:37:41 AM »
Are you shooting Dunlendings and Orcs though? 

'Cutting' bows will do much the same damage as Elvish 'piercing' bows against foes wearing poor armour.

However, try shooting an Olog Hai in the face with a cutting bow, then try a piercing one and you will appreciate the difference more..!

Offline slapadingle

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 26, 2012, 04:58:46 PM »
Can I make a couple of (small) requests regarding the upcoming patch:

1. I believe faction strength is to be used to determine the point at which the last stand parties for Isengard (and Mirkwood ?) are spawned. Can I suggest this is set at 1000 for Isengard at least (this may already be the case), as grinding them down to 500 or below becomes a pain when they largely spawn 15 man parties by that point. I've finished the good campaign several times now and the flow is brilliant apart from the hiccup around Isengard. The last stand party will remove this and make it a real challenge too..
Already done.
2. Can the 'strategy tweaks' be left in going forward ? They're referred to in the game as 'cheats', but I actually think they allow you to have quite different styles of game and aren't cheats as such. If you leave at the presets, you're usually in for a lengthy campaign of 300 days give or take (or more) with some ebb and flow but nothing too drastic (usually). Turn off all siege requirements and faction strength regeneration, however, and watch chaos ensue and a much quicker game. I've done this a couple of times and some factions get pounded, and with the Isengard block out of the way will make for a blitz of a game.
No plans to change them AFAIK.

Once again, thanks to everyone who has contributed to this mod, still playing the new version a year on and looking forward to whatever changes may be coming up. I've been playing Mount and Blade (and Warband and all its derivatives) for almost 7 years now and nothing comes close to this mod for me personally...
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 12:17:56 PM by CppCoder »

Offline Vooodooo

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 28, 2012, 09:23:49 AM »
Hi,
I just came by another post on this website. It seems that the next patch might be final version of this mod. Although many of us are more or less expecting this mod to be planted on the new M&B, we understand it is a nearly impossible work with your current manpower. We just would like to thank you for making us such an amazing mod. And we hope you could know this mod has a big group of fan in Asia too :)
Again, thank you for your fantastic work.
(I might post in the wrong place, just to make sure you can see it)

Thanks for the kind words. :) The next patch will probably be the last update with any new cool features, but I do plan to fix as many bugs as I can after the patch is released.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 11:56:03 PM by CppCoder »

Offline TwojWujek

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 30, 2012, 06:36:34 PM »
Hello, my 2 cents about the morale.

1) It has already been mentioned that enemies if outnumbered route quicker than the player can catch them which makes these battles drag on terribly. However, I have noticed also than when that happens, that is if eg. 20 orcs manage to route 5 times, the number of engagements within the battle rises and so the influence and rank points rewards - up to unreasonable proportions. This feels as if I was exploiting although there is nothing I can do to help it other than disengage completely.

2) The morale system as it stands right now is problematic for elves as they usually are outnumbered which means in most fights with larger parties a portion of my army immediately routes which both screws up the the tactics and is immersion breaking.
Thanks for the feedback! The Morale system is going to be one of the first things I will fix/tweak after this patch is released.

What I currently very much like about the system though that it is a very elegant way to reward me for good combat performance  - I really enjoy these reports saying I killed x and that I devastate the morale of the enemy. 
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 12:19:23 AM by CppCoder »

Offline The Yogi

• Guildsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 01, 2012, 02:11:08 PM »
Hi,

I also want to add my praise to the latest patch and to the morale system, which I find greatly adds to the feel of the battles. No longer do we have to armies of Terminators willing to keep coming no matter what.

However, I agree that it does need some tweaking - unless the odds are absolutely awful, troops should stand their ground at least until the first casualties are taken (perhaps not entirely realistic, but better for gameplay). Also, I suspect there's something fishy about the odds calculations, perhaps they're only taking into account the strenght of the soldiers own party visavi the enemy, and not the strenght of all allied parties involved in the fight, because I've had men starting to flee while handsomely outnumbering a single larger enemy party thanks to allied parties. Usually, the smaller the allied party, the sooner its men start to flee, even if their side outnumbers the enemy.

Finally, men routing from the winning side should reattach to their parent party. Because they break off into groups of routed troops, even if their host win a hard-fought victory they are gutted from all the routers.

If this cannot be avoided, then perhaps allow routed groups to join the first own host they encounter?

Offline Historix

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 01, 2012, 02:59:14 PM »
About moral system too:
eg. i fight a large battle with 500 men on my side and enemy of same number. When i reduce enemy numbers to like ~200 men they start to flee in every engagement so i have to ride all the way to other side of a map. I am suggesting that enemy can't rout until they total number is under 100, it can stay "some enemies are fleeing" but not everyone.
Good suggestion, I'll keep this in mind.

Also, a mission with raging trolls. If you are able to catch them, they will rout immediately and mission will be done.  :o Trolls should have no moral. People should be feared of them not the other way around.
Trolls and spy missions have been fixed, they will no longer flee.

Don't get me wrong for criticizing moral system, I love it!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 09:31:04 PM by CppCoder »

Offline Rene Korda

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 02, 2012, 11:53:54 AM »
Another thing about the morale system, though I don't (sorry for misspelling) know if it's feasible to fix it. The routed troops don't really run away - they walk backwards while actively engaging in combat. The archers are the worst, as they continue to fire. Is it possible to actually make the routed troops free, like they do in Warband (or, at least, in the Floris mod-pack)?

I don't know. CppCoder will know more. IIRC there was a way to switch troops into non-hostile mode (we've used it for the sneaking stealth missions before), but I'm not sure if that's possible or easy to do in battle.

I don't think it is, I'll look into though. After the current patch is released I'll focus on tweaking the morale system.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 07:08:48 PM by Rene Korda »

Offline Historix

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 03, 2012, 03:06:37 PM »
Will 3.2 be save compatible with its beta?

I'm almost certain that it will be.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 04:13:41 PM by CppCoder »

Offline GondorKnight

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 07, 2012, 01:18:49 AM »
I have a problem with rallying troops: One of the Mordor leaders (the female Black Numenorean one) cause error when rallying her troops.
Some error with 'no result 47 (or 74?)' if I remember correctly.
Trying to find a screenshot.
This is a minor issue, as TLD has no female cheer sounds, the game errors when it tries to play the sound.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 04:17:46 AM by CppCoder »

Offline CppCoder

• The Last TLD Coder
  • The Last Days Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 07, 2012, 04:24:12 AM »
Updated first post. 3.2-beta-beta is out for beta testers. :)

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt online Gallery
« Reply #162 on: December 07, 2012, 04:47:39 AM »
Anyone testing 3.21, check the changelog for new features, so you don't miss them. ;)
Here's my gallery: http://merlkir.deviantart.com/

I'm now painting and drawing commissions. I'll paint portraits, pets, girlfriends, favourite characters..you name it. Send me a PM if interested ;)

Offline makou

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 07, 2012, 07:01:23 AM »
Wow, thanks a lot for all your hard work !
I didn't expect so many changes in this update.

Let's try all that out.
I'll start with a new character, just to be sure there are no savegame issues.

Thanks again, guys.

Offline In Vain

• The Last Days Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 07, 2012, 07:42:02 AM »
  - Command Cursor Mini Mod.

:green:

well, you asked for it, we deliver. ;)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 08:01:26 AM by Merlkir »