login

Author Topic: The Perennial Nuisance  (Read 187317 times)

Offline Dain Ironfoot

• Master
    • View Profile
Re: The Perennial Nuisance (complete uniforms p.2)
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2007, 03:17:26 pm »
Hrmm.. according to my sources, When first formed as "marines" they simply stuck with army uniforms... once they became Royal marines they were reuniformed. The new uniforms were ' by the King's express command, the pattern of the First regiment of Foot Guards'. Who looked like this

http://www.napoleon-online.de/ENG_MilFigures1792_Tafel2.jpg

Brigadier Hussey

« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2007, 03:32:24 pm »
Haha, you did what I did.
Look at the date on the name of the pic  ;) 1792, The foot guards haven't worn bearskins or open jackets since 1798.

The foot guards of the Napoleonic era wore the same as standard infantry except they had white trousers instead of grey on campaign, and consistently wore the stovepipe shako, I.e. did not change to the belgic or waterloo pattern shako in 1813.

Offline Dain Ironfoot

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2007, 03:42:57 pm »
Aye.. I realise that now. Hrmm.. what era is the open-jacketed Marine from? I know it's depicted in stuff like Hornblower as being used in the war against revolutionary france... wonder how accurate that is

Thats a very nice pic of a Naval landing party... I really must do a uniform for the master/midshipman :D And some headwear/styles for the navy guys.. some non white-haired shakos for the marines wouldn't go amiss from your side too.. I'll see about doing pigtail,straw hat, naval officers hats etc...  mm.. I look forward to leading a party of all navy guys :P
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 04:07:49 pm by Captain Ironfoot »

Brigadier Hussey

« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2007, 04:34:00 pm »
You're exactly right, Revolutionary France era, so thats pre 1804 but I think the open jacket ended around 1800, so you've got a gap there of about 1770 to 1799ish.

Good job, that Lieutenant uniform looks like a mere re texture of the infantry officer with longer tails doesn't it?
The midshipman would be great too as if I whipped the cross belt off it would make a great basis for some civvie clothes with the cravat and waistcoat.

I don't know when the marines stopped having powdered hair, it was in 1803/4 for the army but later for the EIC European forces so I'll have to check up on that.

Lanky

« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2007, 04:42:05 pm »
It's very accurate. When the marines were first formed they wore the basic infantry uniform and kit (The British marine is the fourth to ever have been created) and then they started to grow in number and therefore were given their own uniform. Do you guys have any naval models like cutlasses? Because I agree with ironfoot, it would be absolutely awesome to lead naval parties.

Offline Dain Ironfoot

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2007, 04:52:06 pm »
I don't think the marines ever really powdered their hair.. all depictions of them including that ref there(Aside from POTC which is hideously unrealistic on naval matters anyway) show them without it... I think it'd be VERY diffiicult to maintain at sea..

And Oi! The Naval uniform and inf officer uniform are different :P very different really :p O' course Yoshi's retextured it in his mod to become an inf officer uniform again :P

Brigadier Hussey

« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2007, 04:55:07 pm »
The officer uniforms are nigh on identical! The naval one just has the collar folded back, no epaulettes and a belt rather than a sash. The tails are actually the same length.

Brigadier Hussey

« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2007, 08:04:23 pm »
Made a froggy officer's sabre:

Chilly5

« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2007, 10:52:33 pm »
Ugh, this was harder than I'd have perfered. The stockings look like this now:

The alpha channel doesnt seem to be working
and some-weird thing is going on that makes the shadding around the ribbon (the one that goes around the leg, not the knot) extremely dark, so I didnt get a pic of it rendered (cuz its ugly).

Brigadier Hussey

« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2007, 02:18:33 am »
Hmm yeah that does look wierd with the ribbon, the rest looks nice or rather will look nice once you've done the smoothing groups.

Offline Nethros

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 05, 2007, 02:23:00 am »
Nice models & textures, everyone!

Gah, I just hope someone textures those turbans.

jlgx50

« Reply #71 on: February 05, 2007, 04:03:20 am »
that looks sweet Ben that sword you made good work your getting better at modeling faster then i was :)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 04:06:36 am by jlgx50 »

Offline Cartread

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2007, 01:58:11 pm »
I'm working on the tall bearskin hat.  I tried making boxes of transparent hair for the top area, but it didn't work out.  I guess I'll model a wad of hair and add a few transparent hair fruffles here and there.
Do you know what the back of the tall bearskin helm looks like?  Wait, how is the hair held on?

Brigadier Hussey

« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2007, 02:01:43 pm »
I'm working on the tall bearskin hat.  I tried making boxes of transparent hair for the top area, but it didn't work out.  I guess I'll model a wad of hair and add a few transparent hair fruffles here and there.
Do you know what the back of the tall bearskin helm looks like?  Wait, how is the hair held on?

http://img132.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bearskiney8.jpg

Offline Cartread

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2007, 05:11:46 pm »
the other one