login

Author Topic: TLD 3.23 Suggestions  (Read 394964 times)

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt online Gallery
TLD 3.23 Suggestions
« on: November 02, 2011, 02:51:20 AM »
Take a look AT LEAST through the last two pages, if your suggestion isn't there. Please.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 04:33:40 AM by Merlkir »
Here's my gallery: http://merlkir.deviantart.com/

I'm now painting and drawing commissions. I'll paint portraits, pets, girlfriends, favourite characters..you name it. Send me a PM if interested ;)

GodHandApostle

Re: TLD 3.0 Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 04:44:06 AM »
Aside from congratulating once more and repeating how awesome the mod is, I wold like to address a small issue that can easily be read as a suggestion.

I noticed that, staying true to the feeling I got reading the books, the game makes it so that my party, with but a handful of knights, can easily keep at bay 50+ orcs. This still doesn't mean assaulting hundreds and surviving which helps giving a hint of realism. I appriciate the rather low statistics on the character because, after single-handedly besting 8 wild goblins and gaining a couple of levels, it really gives the feeling of raising from the simple soldier to a hero.

Now I reached rank7 with LothLorien (Trusted friend, I think?) And acquired .. How do I put spoilers, dammit!? ..anyway.. a certain item. I admit I was a  bit worried as I bought it and thought "Weren't they all lost?! All three of them (hint hint)?". Surprisingly, it was a book.

And that made me think. There are countless relics and artifacts mentioned in THAT book that perhaps could be, if not retrieved, heard of during quests and fightings. So my suggestion, to cut to the core of this post, would be to add explorations and hidden (as much as coding and such allows) coves, caves, cravices, woods, ruins.. whatever that can increase on one side the feel of having a small but powerful group (I am lvl18 and still roam Middle Earth with 20-something men) and on the other the idea of raising to great deals of power and making a difference.

We cannot siege settlements because it'd alter the balance the books enstablish and the game takes the leave from. Though maybe chasing certain items or legends would be interesting. I remember an adventure based on Tolkien's work that set the players off in search of one of the Palantirii of the north. Maybe that could be a quest for TLD or something similar. I'm not nearly as prepared over the lore as the team seems to be as it was a good while since I read the books, though that feels like a good option for later game, together with assisting heroes in taking the enemy settlements.
Different quests concerning ruins/village defence/village assault are in plans

Guess that's all. Thanks for such a wonderful mod and good luck with future updates :)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 03:54:26 AM by GetAssista »

Offline InstantB

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 08:15:59 AM »
Hi all.

I've been playing since yesterday as a Woodelf. Things I've noticed:

1 - Although I love the overall squishiness of orcs and friends (I think that should be so), I find them to be too weak and barely able to injure any foe with proper armor - I think this should be balanced. Although I do agree that they should be somewhat squishy, they should pack quite a punch. Otherwise it's just too easy.
Higher tier orcs/uruks should deliver quite a punch. Snagas on the other hand are deliberately made cannon fodder. We will tweak composition of parties, especially center garrisons, which currently employ too much of a low-tier troops

2 - I helped the King and its lord and lady to lay siege to the Gundabar forts (the Dale men were laying siege to the 5th fort). We did it in 2 days. We butchered with ease +1200 orcs...  How many elves died? Some 6, I think.

Since the forts have no walls, we just charged in, and the orcs were simply butchered. It wasn't even fun. The average death rate on those sieges was something like

orcs = 200
elves = 0, 1 or 2 dead/injured
Elves are OP, we'll nerf them later

3 - The way a faction loses power or gains (usually gains) is VERY quick. Mostly they increase numbers. The only ones losing power right now are Gundabar (I wonder why) and Gondor (that seems to be taking a beating). EDIT: What I am trying to say is that, so far, Moria and Isengard don't seem to be too much of a problem - except for Gondor. Otherwise, the Rohan are kicking ass and keeping balance with Isengard and the Dulendings...
Speed of events was deliberately set high for this release, cause we want people to go through the game fast enough to encounter bugs on different stages.

4 - Kings and lords seem to spend a lot of time waiting on the map (maybe this should go to suggestions... uhm...).

5 - The rate in which we gain resources should probably be toned down. After a couple of friendly actions towards my faction and allied factions, I'm earning loads of resources. If I raise my cha and leadership enough, I'll soon be running around with a huge army.
Speed of events (see above)

6 - Since I don't really need the resources I'm constantly getting with both dale and the dwarves, know what I do? I recruit their troops, find one of their armies, and dump those men and dwarves directly to them... this is a bit fishy (I stopped doing it, since it smells like cheese, the bad kind), AND I even get paid to do it, it's just great, but because of me, the Dale and Dwarves have now big big big patrols and scouts...
You recruit low-tier troops, so those are of little use in actual battle. They can be trained fast though currently, because of speed of events (see above)

7 - I would love for it to be possible to cut down on the number of trees and/or high bushes. My computer card isn't too bad, but with all the dozens and dozens of men+ trees everywhere, the graphics are somewhat slowed, enough for archery to lose a bit of its fun + It really gets to become hard to see enemies when I get trees and bushes everywhere, which makes me wonder how the heck do those elves see their enemies anyway?? (my char must have some human blood in her...) If this is not possible, at least allow for us to apply some patch like the "no more trees" (I would personally prefer the patch """reduce them trees""")
This is a pretty laborsome task, but well see what we can do. I hope somebody will help us by coming up with treeless patch. Like they did with better combat animation patch already

8 - This might have already been posted and be impossible to change... I never play the game in fps mode (?), since I prefer to see my char as I play... when playing a dwarf, I barely see him, which kind of sucks, although I guess I just need to get used to it, and it will be ok. :)
Yup, a hard task to do. There are custom camera solutions, but they bring certain troubles with them, so we decided to not include them for now

I'll write more as I play and discover more stuff.
As usually, thanks for all your hard work. I must say I was very skeptical since you were working on a ver very good thing (IMO the best mod ever for M&B), but you did a beautiful thing, for which I am very thankful.

Best regards,

IB
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 03:52:58 AM by GetAssista »

Offline trueten

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 08:21:36 AM »
Bring back the rooster's scream/wolf's howl when night/day ends pls :)
Yes, certainly. It's a bug actually, meaning I forgot to code it in at the last moment :)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 08:55:00 AM by GetAssista »

Der_nibelung

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 08:57:00 AM »
Are there any future plans to expand the map to include all of the traditional northwest Middle Earth?
ERIADOR (Mithlond, Tharbad, the Barrow-Downs) HARAD (Umbar) etc etc.
I understand that it wouldn't follow the theme of this mod and it would create more work for the team
but it would be nice for explorers and to have a complete map.
no plans for complete ME map, since no action there. TLD is concentrated on theatre between Misty Mountains and mordor, that's it
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 09:37:22 AM by GetAssista »

Stone

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 08:58:53 AM »
Truly epic! From the magnificent and unique cities and towns, to the immersive role playing dialogue and sounds, the beautifully detailed armor, and excellent gameplay with surprises, this long awaited mod is a real pleasure to play. Thank you so much for creating and sharing this mod!

For those who find the text messages during battle too large and dominating the screen, you can modify the font_data.xml file.

1a. Right click on the file
1b. Select Open With
1c. Select Notepad
2. Second line, font_size="70" - Change the number to "110"
2b. File Save

Screenshot of the steps is highlighted below. Increasing this number makes the font smaller, and vice versa.

Offline Sp00nlord

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 10:36:19 AM »
Two things. Firstly, wargs. I think them being able to do a hell of a lot of charge damage is realistic, represents the fact that a large wolf has just rammed into you and bitten off half your face. Great. What seems silly to me is that fact that basically they can run right through 4/5 ranks of fully armoued men/dwarves and not be stopped. I'm guessing that since both come from the Charge attribute of a 'horse' than it's not possible to separate them? Cause for me they right now act as crazy heavy cavalry when in actual fact, I feel the role of a warg should be picking of isolated units with their charge power, not breaking entire formations of heavy infantry.

Secondly, and slightly related is the Dwarf troop tree, there's not currently alot of difference between the Spear-dwarf and Axe-dwarf lines, especially since the former don't actually get spears. Would be nice to see some more clearly defined differences between the two.
a bug, will be fixed in weekend patch
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 01:35:59 AM by GetAssista »

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt online Gallery
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 02:30:43 PM »
repasta from TW:

AWESOME SUGGESTION:

aswell/instead of the option "leave men behind and escape" option, there should be a "tell men to retreat and make a last stand". so you stay behind alone and if you kill enough of them your men retreat back to home barracks, where you can pick them up. obviously should have traits/rewards too for you know being so manly and stuff ;)

This sounds kinda dumb. But then... Something about this idea I like.
Here's my gallery: http://merlkir.deviantart.com/

I'm now painting and drawing commissions. I'll paint portraits, pets, girlfriends, favourite characters..you name it. Send me a PM if interested ;)

Offline InstantB

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 05:26:22 PM »
Stone, that font change thingy totally didn't work.
The font always stays the same size.

I followed all your steps, to no avail.

(the floating words are so distressing that I keep my screen free of the death toll. Those huge names and titles completely block my screen, making archery a bit harder :P).

EDIT: Worked, but only when I changed the font on the original M&B folder, not on the mod one...
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 06:16:16 PM by InstantB »

Offline InstantB

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 06:22:11 PM »
Some extra thinggies:

Elves are really overpowered. Right now nothing can beat my elven archers, other than a massive cavalary charge, and it must be a strong one, otherwise, they will become pincushions.

Even at melee range elves are incredible.
I think this should be as is, but on the other hand, we probably should only be able to recruit a handful of elves, not armies (I can get some 60 and will soon be able to get many more...) - elves should be a bit rare to find and recruit. At least more than they are now.
Elves are intentionally badasses yes. We will certainly nerf elves, most likely by restricting numbers you can get
Also, concerning archery and pincushions:

Perhaps give a couple more shields to the orcs goblins and uruks? As is, they merely die and die and die.
I've seen some orc and goblin shields, here and there, and I like it that they are crude and can't handle too much damage, but most of those orcish troops carry no shield, therefore they get overwhelmed by arrows.
no shields + no-block weapons for low level orc troops are intentional. To make slaughtering them fun for the player :) we'll think about buffing up higher tiers
I recentrly went over to the Rohan lands to help out with some 50 elfs (2/3 archers). I've butchered almost everything I've found and have no dificulty killing isengard troops with 2 to 3 times my size, and with 0 losses (so far I've lost 1 elf.... yup).

Also, the best bow I've found so far is a Rohan bow - the Strong Bow, with almost twice the damage output of the elven bows. Is this on purpose? Even in the far north, the best bows belong to the dale... (?)
pay attention to PD requirement and damage type too ;)
Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 01:33:57 AM by GetAssista »

Offline Northcott

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 08:57:54 PM »
I'm not sure whether what I'm about to say falls under the category of 'bug', or whether they're intentional game designs. I'm erring on the latter side, and dropping this in the suggestion forum. My apologies if this is ill-placed.

I finally got a brief crack at TLD today. Figured I'd go with a Dunedan Ranger and run around Middle Earth for a little while. Here's what stuck out for me:

1) Starting Stats.  All weapon skills at 15.  Is this intentional? It makes for a really squishy character who swings slow as Hell. Can't recruit any men, as there's no faction rep, and even basic quests like "find the outlaw" are crazy difficult. (Four hits, couldn't kill him... meanwhile he does one hit kills)   Also, Dunedan start with 1 Iron Flesh, 0 Power Strike, 3 Power Draw, and 0 Weapon Mastery. Can't remember what the Athletics score was.  For weapons... a poor short sword and poor armour. No shield, no bow, no arrows. No men to recruit. No resources to get the weapons their stats are geared toward (bows).

I realize that many mods like to turn up the difficulty level, but at some point game play descends into being more frustrating than fun. Plus in a mod with such a rich background in a detailed story, it'd be nice if the characters carried the feel of the fictional world they inhabit.  A Dunedan ranger with a sword, but no melee skills, nor weapon mastery, nor woodsy skills, etc... it's not a game-breaker or anything (far from), but it was somewhat disappointing. Skilled in woodcraft, and the art of spear, sword, and bow... not so much. They don't have to be amazing, but at least some nod in the direction of the source material would be lovely to see. The ranger leathers are awesome starting garb. A longsword would be lovely.
We though it would be not cool to not let the player develop his char from start. Would take away the enjoyable initial part of the game, when you are weak and ill-equipped

2) Equipment. Again, not sure how much of this was intended, and how much was accidental.
* Arnorian Armour can't be worn by Dunedain characters. The 'wrong race' warning comes up. :|
* The Lorien Longsword has a reach of 87... while the Arnorian shortsword has a reach of 86. One point of difference in reach seems odd for the different blade descriptions. Meanwhile hand-and-a-half swords swing with the incredibly slow speed of 93. They were actually very fast blades. The added leverage makes them more nimble than one-handed blades. Seeing them restored to stock M&B bastard sword stats would be lovely.
some of those are bugs, some just not balanced properly cause we had no manpower for proper balancing. Will be done eventually
There was a third point... but I'm tired and apparently blanking.

The mod is lovely overall. The models are stunning. The orcs are creepy as Hell. :) Beautiful work.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 01:29:33 AM by GetAssista »

captain proof

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 12:21:01 AM »
I feel like I am being picky when I make this suggestion but I will make it anyways...

-Dwarven Warhammers?
We discussed it. Tolkien never mentioned those, plus there is no heavy armor in ME, so warhammer efficiency would be dubious anyway.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 01:26:46 AM by GetAssista »

Ildanach

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 12:21:29 AM »
I have one suggestion which will likely receive a no but I will suggest it regardless.

One new town per faction which is only present when the player is part of that faction. Specifically a ruin which can serve as a defensive base for the player to drop off troops and store equipment.
you can drop troops and equipment at facion capital after you hit level 10
If that is acceptable, then perhaps it could be built upon at a later date to eventually create a small fort/keep. Nothing fancy, just a haven for the players assets which is not part of the player factions kingdom.
we thought of using "Brigand fort" concept from 808 as your personal town. Like you save some desolate settlement from orc onslaught and they ask you to be their visiting leader, or you make an orc onslaught on them and take the place. Did not have time to flesh it out in this release
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 01:25:27 AM by GetAssista »

Offline Anarchy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 02:20:12 AM »
I'm playing as a Dunedain Ranger right now, and one thing I noticed while helping a Lothlorien Patrol (with Haldir's host in it) against a Moria War Party; The One Badass Lothlorien Elite Infantry (TOBLEI).

I kept the troops back in a line while Haldir and this one Lothlorien Elite Infantry charged out to meet the War party. Haldir had gotten plenty of kills (not surprised there), but a Troll (wounded with 2-3 arrows) along with a few goblins charged at TOBLEI. TOBLEI began spamming hits at the Troll, the Troll managed to hit TOBLEI three times with a Tree Trunk. I was simply laughing, wanting to see TOBLEI die by the troll, but suddenly the Troll falls dead. TOBLEI turns around, and this time I order my men to charge, wanting to fight alongside TOBLEI, and I see TOBLEI owning 5 goblins, and then killing a Warg charging at him. However, I screamed "NOOOO" as a goblin finally stabbed TOBLEI.

My suggestion comes as this: I feel that trolls and goblins are too weak, and should be buffed up a bit. The troll, if ganged, easily dies, and I am kinda disappointed to see them be weakened like this. Also, Elven Warriors might be a bit overpowered, and I think they should be nerfed just a bit, but I see you already planned to nerf them in the above posts. Anyways, thank you for such an enjoyable mod, as I laughed for 10 minutes after that episode, and keep the good work going.

RIP TOBLEI
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/630730047410448087/AF5CFC2308D48E3931BF4F080B45B0ABBF04B2D9/

Offline sapped

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 02:31:42 AM »
hey really great work!! my mind was totally blown when I first entered minas tirith.

although I only had a very brief look at the mod due to finals, this is already the best mod ever made in history. there is one suggestion I would like to give, that is to increase the amount of civilians in cities, because they all look really empty and deserted, other than that its all perfect, thx so much for this!!