login

Author Topic: TLD 3.3 FAQ & Ask any other questions here! DON'T START A NEW TOPIC. ASK HERE!  (Read 904683 times)

Offline TheMageLord

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: TLD 3.0 FAQ - Ask your questions!
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2011, 05:20:41 PM »
Any ETA on when/if you folks are going to release the source?

I'm assuming you haven't released it yet because you want people to play an un-modified version so that all your bug reports are valid and don't lead to wild goose chases, but after you get a few patchs out there it would be fun to have access to it.

We have lots of ideas that did not make it into release yet. Until then no source, we want TLD to be completed as we see it. Means additional quests and lore stuff mostly
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 05:43:28 PM by GetAssista »

cifre

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2011, 12:36:30 AM »
Anyway, someone over on TW already managed to get the Warband animations working in MnB, look for that.
Thanks for the tip.
Quote from: MadVader
Note that because of our own sanity we don't support hacks and changes to TLD. And that's also why we won't help you doing that.
People tend to try all kinds of hacks, with different degrees of fail, then they'll likely report them as our bugs, and waste our precious time that we could use to help people with genuine problems.
So, please use your judgement and assume responsibility. Or best of all, consider that you don't really have to hack TLD to enjoy it.
You don't have to be that dramatic, but thanks for your honesty anyway.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 12:38:20 AM by cifre »

Offline MadVader

• Master
  • TLD, ex-PoP coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2011, 12:44:03 AM »

I'm assuming you haven't released it yet because you want people to play an un-modified version so that all your bug reports are valid and don't lead to wild goose chases, but after you get a few patchs out there it would be fun to have access to it.

We have lots of ideas that did not make it into release yet. Until then no source, we want TLD to be completed as we see it. Means additional quests and lore stuff mostly
I don't believe giving out the TLD source is a good idea, so don't count on that.
It will only result in hundreds of noobs doing tweaks and posting them as mods, much to the confusion of casual players and without adding much value.
I would prefer instead if proven modders with ideas and the desire to make TLD better join the TLD team.

Quote from: MadVader
You don't have to be that dramatic, but thanks for your honesty anyway.
When you've seen what I have seen while doing mod support, you will eventually end up thinking "I don't want to live on this planet anymore" :)
The Last Days 3.0 - the ultimate Mount and Blade mod: http://mbx.streetofeyes.com/index.php/board,20.0.html

Nameless One

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2011, 03:47:33 AM »
I've noticed that player's baggage is sometimes present on the battlefield and sometimes not. What determines this?
mhm... I suspect this might depend on how battlescenes were constructed (random vs preconstructed). Try notice which type of scenes has it and which does not. It's easily fixable, if we know which scenes lack baggage
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 04:02:58 AM by GetAssista »

Offline Conners

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2011, 07:55:29 AM »
Question:

Who is the strongest character in TLD, that you are able to fight :O?

Jccalbaal

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2011, 08:07:06 AM »
Question:
First off, awesome mod, congratulations

My question is: are heraldic banners still in TLD and how in middle-earth do you get them
They are in TLD. in fact you can see them on Gondor shields and armor of Rohan lords. You have one of the faction you fight for. But there are limited usages for this banner, cause those are not your own troops, but troops of your faction. And they wear their own colors
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 12:10:38 PM by GetAssista »

Nameless One

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2011, 08:12:24 AM »
I've noticed that player's baggage is sometimes present on the battlefield and sometimes not. What determines this?
mhm... I suspect this might depend on how battlescenes were constructed (random vs preconstructed). Try notice which type of scenes has it and which does not. It's easily fixable, if we know which scenes lack baggage

How the hell do I know which scene is which? Do I simply describe them with words or is there a way to see exactly which scene I'm fighting in? For example, I've noticed that scenes with predominantly brown, rolling ground with very few trees that are used in Rohan lack a baggage. yes, that's a good enough description
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 08:14:25 AM by GetAssista »

Offline TheMageLord

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2011, 09:47:21 AM »

I don't believe giving out the TLD source is a good idea, so don't count on that.
It will only result in hundreds of noobs doing tweaks and posting them as mods, much to the confusion of casual players and without adding much value.
I would prefer instead if proven modders with ideas and the desire to make TLD better join the TLD team.

Well, thats entirely up to the TLD team and I can respect that - it's your work.

Having options isn't necessarily a bad thing though, after the mod is in a stable state (ie, out of beta with most of the bugs fixed). Just because someone makes a mod of your mod isn't going to degrade the the base mod, and from my experience casual users don't generally trawl the boards downloading every minimod they come across - they just grab the main mod and go with it. Many casual M&B users are still playing Native.

The people you have to worry about are the ones with just enough experience with computers to know how to screw everything up, but without enough to realize it's their fault :D. Cue tech support horror stories... or all the PMs I get from doing that M&B tweaks thing way back 3 years ago when we didn't have the source code for M&B 1.0 Native and editing the text files was the only way to mod it, I still get PMs about those with people trying to do them in Warband and then coming to me saying they broke their game. I stopped doing that as soon as the module system released, and still it persists lol... But I digress.

Having the source out there would even allow people who don't have the time or inclination to join the team who make suggestions to actually include functional code to go with the suggestion, which is a lot more useful than "Wouldn't it be cool if..."

Plus I hate to say it but people could still mod it without the source and release tweaks no matter how much you try to prevent it, it'd just be dirtier. Just for personal use I've corrected some of the bugs that have already been reported and fixed in the dev build straight from the text files, added in some features I like to play around with (like import/export of npcs in case I change my mind about how to level them), as well as buffing the wimpy orc equipment to make some of the fights more challenging, just for my own enjoyment until the patches come. I'm knowledgeable enough to do extensive script modding without any of the source (even with most of your scripts named s to prevent that, heh - which makes it obvious you don't want mods done), I just wouldn't bother since I wouldn't release anything without permission out of respect for your work anyway (plus it would dilute your bug reports and such). The sad thing is a lot more people seem to take the time to edit the text files than learn the module system, which if anything are the 'noobs' you're worried about.

CabooseFox

« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2011, 10:35:30 AM »
Hello. I am really exited about this mod however, I am unable to get into the main menu. I have tried reinstalling MNB and using the installer provided in the mod, however when my loading screen is finished the game becomes unresponsive. The error used to be missing wind flora or something like that. The only thing I haven't tried is using the enhanced version, however, that will take 2 hours to install on my crappy internet connection. So I am asking if the install will most likely fix the problem, or if I should just screw it and wait for patches like I am doing for the American Revolution mod? Thanks for making this amazing mod, I loved the books and the movies and I hope I can get this working!

Do manual install, as in FAQ. And read damn stickies!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 10:49:35 AM by GetAssista »

Offline MadVader

• Master
  • TLD, ex-PoP coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2011, 11:05:09 AM »
Well, thats entirely up to the TLD team and I can respect that - it's your work.

Having options isn't necessarily a bad thing though, after the mod is in a stable state (ie, out of beta with most of the bugs fixed). Just because someone makes a mod of your mod isn't going to degrade the the base mod, and from my experience casual users don't generally trawl the boards downloading every minimod they come across - they just grab the main mod and go with it. Many casual M&B users are still playing Native.

The people you have to worry about are the ones with just enough experience with computers to know how to screw everything up, but without enough to realize it's their fault :D. Cue tech support horror stories... or all the PMs I get from doing that M&B tweaks thing way back 3 years ago when we didn't have the source code for M&B 1.0 Native and editing the text files was the only way to mod it, I still get PMs about those with people trying to do them in Warband and then coming to me saying they broke their game. I stopped doing that as soon as the module system released, and still it persists lol... But I digress.

Having the source out there would even allow people who don't have the time or inclination to join the team who make suggestions to actually include functional code to go with the suggestion, which is a lot more useful than "Wouldn't it be cool if..."

Plus I hate to say it but people could still mod it without the source and release tweaks no matter how much you try to prevent it, it'd just be dirtier. Just for personal use I've corrected some of the bugs that have already been reported and fixed in the dev build straight from the text files, added in some features I like to play around with (like import/export of npcs in case I change my mind about how to level them), as well as buffing the wimpy orc equipment to make some of the fights more challenging, just for my own enjoyment until the patches come. I'm knowledgeable enough to do extensive script modding without any of the source (even with most of your scripts named s to prevent that, heh - which makes it obvious you don't want mods done), I just wouldn't bother since I wouldn't release anything without permission out of respect for your work anyway (plus it would dilute your bug reports and such). The sad thing is a lot more people seem to take the time to edit the text files than learn the module system, which if anything are the 'noobs' you're worried about.

Now I remember who you are - the original tweakfest enabler, the scourge of mod support everywhere. :)
To make a long story short - I agree with many of your points, but it's still unclear if there are real benefits to releasing TLD as open source. Until we see serious modders asking for the source with specific ideas in mind, we can't be certain.
I think the best time to release the source is when the mod is mature and complete (e.g. version 3.5), and the team starts porting to a new platform. There is still long way to go, though, as several large features were left out of the game, so a release could be possible before we are all dead.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 11:32:40 AM by MadVader »
The Last Days 3.0 - the ultimate Mount and Blade mod: http://mbx.streetofeyes.com/index.php/board,20.0.html

Offline Kohlrabi

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2011, 11:52:50 AM »
Now I've found 9 'good' companions, and 6 'evil' companions... should I be on the lookout for more, or are those the ones available?

2 more evil for now.
We'll certainly add more npcs in future though

Thanks, I'll look for the two missing ones then!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 01:02:46 PM by Kohlrabi »

maggot bread

« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2011, 12:04:47 PM »
I wonder when the patch is ready? In the very end of the weekend or sooner?

P.S. Your "verification" sucks badly. Like really really god awful badly. I honestly think three questions AND an unreadable captcha is not enough to get rid of the bots, which are desperaely hunting your forum every second. You should probably add something more serious.

Who would cross the Bridge of Death must answer me these questions three, ere the other side he see. (c)
Nothing we can do, really. Don't worry, it will disappear for you in a coupel days
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 12:08:00 PM by GetAssista »

Nameless One

« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2011, 12:37:53 PM »
9 good? I've found only 8. 2 in Rohan, none from Rivendell, 1 from each other faction. Who am I missing?

One more question. Is there anything worth finding in Amon Hen except a very nice view of Mordor?

krelog

« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2011, 12:40:11 PM »
I was wondering, if my Faction kills off all the relativly close Enemy Capitals - will it establish some kind of frontier town elsewhere, to reduce travel times for the Main armies?

And I also would be intresting in knowing what's the max rank you can get - if it's not too much of a spoiler :)

Offline MadVader

• Master
  • TLD, ex-PoP coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2011, 12:50:51 PM »
I was wondering, if my Faction kills off all the relativly close Enemy Capitals - will it establish some kind of frontier town elsewhere, to reduce travel times for the Main armies?

And I also would be intresting in knowing what's the max rank you can get - if it's not too much of a spoiler :)
Factions will establish advance camps elsewhere once they eliminate all their enemies in the current theater. (Check who are they fighting by asking lords about the War..)
Ranks are unlimited :).