Author Topic: I'm sick of waiting....  (Read 11627 times)

Two-Shot

I'm sick of waiting....
« on: November 09, 2010, 06:07:42 AM »
So I figured I'd join this project.

If you give me a pointer on scene making and troop tree creation I'll slowly bang out what's left. Also what proggies I need to use. No experience, but I'm a fast learner and anything is better than nothing at this point, amirite?

Also, am I to understand that you guys are doing this mod solely for Warband now? If so, good.

Offline Comrade Tito

• Craftsman
  • As High as Hodor!
    • View Profile
Re: I'm sick of waiting....
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 09:30:07 AM »
Welcome aboard :D

You can find a scening tutorial http://exilian.wikia.com/wiki/Scene_Editing_%28M%26B%29 here, BUT, scening isn't what we need the most right now (because we already have SOME scenes, enough for an early beta).

You can find an unofficial troop tree editor here - http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,105928.msg2606968.html
The troop trees are what we need the most for now, so I reccomend that you work on them. It's pretty easy and straight-forward to edit the troops themselves, but somewhat time-consuming.

Mr.Freshh

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 03:18:13 PM »
I'd be happy to help with whatever needs to be done for this mod as well. I'm not an experienced modder at all, in fact I've only recently started playing around with modding but I'll try help where I can.
If anyone has anything that needs to be done here then just give me a shout and I'll try working on it.

Offline Comrade Tito

• Craftsman
  • As High as Hodor!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 01:54:19 AM »
I'd be happy to help with whatever needs to be done for this mod as well. I'm not an experienced modder at all, in fact I've only recently started playing around with modding but I'll try help where I can.
If anyone has anything that needs to be done here then just give me a shout and I'll try working on it.

You can use the link provided in my former post to get an unofficial troop editor and try working on some troop trees. It's pretty easy to get the hang of it. You should split the work with Two-Shot, should he choose to provide help with the troop trees as well.

Mr.Freshh

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 04:18:18 AM »
Is there a list of troop trees that we are working on somewhere? I notice there is one here http://mbx.streetofeyes.com/index.php/topic,1261.15.html but is this the one being used for this version?
And does Two-Shot or anyone else have some kind of a list of the parts of the troop tree that are done already? I can get quite a bit done this weekend seeing as I have nothing else to do 8)

Mr.Freshh

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 05:00:20 AM »
Nvm I saw the list put up by Comrade Tito.  I'll start working on the Dorne troop trees.

Two-Shot

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 05:34:37 AM »
Can we get a unified idea of what the troop trees are gonna look like and balance before we bang out the trees? For example, what is going to be the theme of each faction? I can see the Dornish being a straight parallel to the Sarranids, but I'm having a little trouble figuring what the rest will look like and it would be nice if we can make each faction without any of them being sorta same-ish.

Also, PLEASE no more factions. Please understand that while it would be great to have over a dozen factions, the more factions in the game, the more it breaks the game and you end up with a mess like Brytenwalda, where the game craps it's pants every time the news feed for alliances and wars goes by.

Mr.Freshh

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 05:52:57 AM »
Can we get a unified idea of what the troop trees are gonna look like and balance before we bang out the trees? For example, what is going to be the theme of each faction? I can see the Dornish being a straight parallel to the Sarranids, but I'm having a little trouble figuring what the rest will look like and it would be nice if we can make each faction without any of them being sorta same-ish.

Also, PLEASE no more factions. Please understand that while it would be great to have over a dozen factions, the more factions in the game, the more it breaks the game and you end up with a mess like Brytenwalda, where the game craps it's pants every time the news feed for alliances and wars goes by.

You're absolutely right with this. The only reason I started work on the Dornes and not any other faction was because it is almost parallel to the Sarranids. I'm planning for the Dorne troop tree to look something like the following:
http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/5788/dornishtrooptreeplan.png
This plan isn't set in stone yet but I would definately like to make them spear/archer heavy in a similar fashion.

The Northmen I suppose will have some parallels to the Nords, however I do remember reading about their Man-at-Arms, meaning they also probably have some Swadian aspects (Man-at-Arms, knights) but probably are less cavalry oriented?

Have any ideas about the other factions? It seems to me as if they are very similar in their troop makeups, the only really different one being the Dornes?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 05:55:31 AM by Mr.Freshh »

Mr.Freshh

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 08:04:28 AM »
Anyone know how make the units that have been created spawn at the villages? I created basic templates for the dornish units but can't seem to make them recruitable at villages...

Two-Shot

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 01:41:41 PM »
I figured the same with the northmen. I think medium armor with high damage slow two handers for them. I figured for the Storm Lords, heavy armor and maces and such, for the Lannisters, medium to heavy armored troops that are extremely powerful but also extremely expensive. But for the Dornish, I think we should go with high speed, high damage lancers and spear guys wearing light armor. Secondary troops for them could be low damage foot archers with huge ammo supplies and maxed out foot speed.

Mr.Freshh

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2010, 02:07:40 PM »
I figured the same with the northmen. I think medium armor with high damage slow two handers for them. I figured for the Storm Lords, heavy armor and maces and such, for the Lannisters, medium to heavy armored troops that are extremely powerful but also extremely expensive. But for the Dornish, I think we should go with high speed, high damage lancers and spear guys wearing light armor. Secondary troops for them could be low damage foot archers with huge ammo supplies and maxed out foot speed.

That sounds good to me. I will finish up the Dornes hopefully by tomorrow sometime. I'll edit the troop tree that I had in mind a little bit as it ocurred to me that nowhere does it mention that they had horse archers. I'll replace that with more advanced lancer and spearmen trees.

Offline Comrade Tito

• Craftsman
  • As High as Hodor!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 02:27:23 PM »
The northerners should be most like the Vaegirs, I believe, but without all the steppe elements they have been given (like great archery, and the North should not have any named knights). The Nords are based on the Vikings, just like the Ironborn in ASoIaF. The northern armor should not be great, but they should have pretty good strength stats. I always imagined the northern troop tree going like this:
Northern recruit - Northern soldier - Northern man-at-arms - Northern veteran - Northern Warrior - Northern Berserker (a-la Great Jon)
                      /                                                                                         /               
                    /                                                                                           Northern Cavalry  -  Northern mounted warrior
          Northern skirmisher  -  Northern archer  -   Northern Marksman (the north does not have very advanced archery)

In general, the Northerners specialize in melee infantry, so all cavalry should have weaker stats then their "equals" in the infantry section.

The Dornishmen should be Sarrinid-like, most troops armed with long spears, and fast swords like scimitars (in order to prevent the fistfighting-spearmen the Rhodoks are suffering from in Native). Out of cavalry, they should have light and fast desert cavalry armed with long polearms capable of couched lancing, and horse archers with curved bows - meaning that your troop tree fits them perfectly, mr. Freshh.

The Westerlanders should be Swadian-like, with medium infantry, crossbowmen and heavy cavalry.

The Reach troops should be very well armored, the top tier archers recieving the BEST light, the heavies recieving the BEST heavy equipment, but their stats should not be so high. Otherwise, their strengths and weaknesses are very similar to those of the Westerlands.

The Stormlanders should be focused on defensive, with no great cavalry but good crossbowmen and archers, along with defensive melee infantry (like powerful, heavily armored macemen). They should have the highest proficiencies due to their strong martial traditions.

The Vale troops should be fitted for fighting in hilly regions, as they have spent most of their time fighting mountain clans surrounding the Vale and defending the bloody gate.

The Riverlands should have medium melee infantry (the one that I imagined closest to the Swadian melee infantry) , excellent archers (like Blackfish :P) and weak cavalry.

We are going to need one more faction than is present in Native, but I don't think it is a good Idea to do things Brytenwalda-style. Warband implemented plenty of features that allow lords to choose switch their alleigances ASOIAF-style. We are going to have 7 factions for now, and might add an eight one later (the Ironborn) but there is  a possibility that they would simply be sea raiders.

Sadly, I don't know how to make the recruits spawn at the villages. Hell, I couldn't even make the Lannisters to stop using Stark troops :P

Mr.Freshh

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2010, 03:55:50 PM »
I like that breakdown of factions. Wasn't there someone else that was supposed to be making troop trees as well? Don't know if that person is still making them and/or if this person has seen what we are planning but it would probably be good if they did. Don't quite know how we are going to be able to add the 7th faction to this, I'd imagine you could edit one of the other lesser factions in much the same way.
I realized we aren't going to be able to test our troop trees while making them in the editor that we're using, not sure exactly what I need to edit to make certain villages allow you to recruit certain troops. I'll have a look on the taleworlds forums tomorrow and see if anyone else knows how to do it.
By the way the editor that we're using won't let you delete any troop unless it is the last troop in the list. That part really pissed me off when I had to delete the third troop I made today...  :'(

Offline Comrade Tito

• Craftsman
  • As High as Hodor!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2010, 03:34:52 AM »
You don't have to delete any troops, just take an existing troop for a "template" and edit it, change the name, etc.

If you find any better troop editors, use them.  ;)

Offline hurleur

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2010, 10:07:40 AM »
hi, the olny good way to make troop tree is the module systme. Get it and edit Module_troop.py.

Offline Comrade Tito

• Craftsman
  • As High as Hodor!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2010, 11:19:38 AM »
hi, the olny good way to make troop tree is the module systme. Get it and edit Module_troop.py.

Hi, good to see you :D

I have downloaded the module system (the official one), but I do not know exactly how to edit the troops by using it. Any hints?

Mr.Freshh

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2010, 11:24:07 AM »
The troop editor works by editing the files that you would have to manually edit in the module system. For me it is easier than editing the module system itself because everything is clearer. Of course if you know what goes where in the module system then that is faster.

Rule zum Rabensang

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2010, 05:40:40 AM »
I have downloaded the module system (the official one), but I do not know exactly how to edit the troops by using it. Any hints?

here's a helpful page about making mods with the module system:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,48405.msg1251842.html#msg1251842

there is a spoiler called "guides" were you can find basic guides for the module system at top, including the changing and inventing of troops and stuff.