login

Author Topic: Modelling  (Read 4224 times)

Offline Jamould

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Modelling
« on: September 20, 2010, 02:45:49 PM »
I was Wondering if Any modelers here do requests

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
Re: Modelling
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 09:51:44 PM »
You probably want to post that in one of the more general threads ... most of the ONR weapons models are mine, and I tend to do low-poly and historically accurate, which are generally not the material of requests.  (Not to mention, my computer isn't even set up for model work right now.)  However, from time to time, somebody or another will take requests... especially people learning who need something to practice on.

For the record, however - there are some good tutorials around here.  I taught myself to use Wings 3D from them.  It might be quicker to learn modeling yourself than to communicate what you want, even assuming you could find people with a lot of free time.  If you can sketch something, with a little patience you can do a 3D model.

Offline Jamould

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 12:14:32 PM »
Well the Model Im Requesting is related to Samurai so I thought for a good quality model that is historically accurate this would be the best place to go

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 07:19:43 PM »
What exactly did you have in mind?

Offline Jamould

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 07:44:31 PM »
Ujio's armor From the Last samurai. The armor we talked about in this thread
http://mbx.streetofeyes.com/index.php/topic,2217.0.html
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 10:59:44 AM by Jamould »

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 09:45:33 PM »
For the body armor, making a custom model is going to require rigging it, and will be a nightmare even for most relatively experienced modelers.  Fortunately, you don't need to go that route.  Just take the Native "samurai armor" model and re-texture it to look like central-Asian scale pattern.  Pretty much anybody who has ever worked textures can do that.

As for that helmet ... without a million poly model, it will be hard to make that one look right.  The cow-horn helmets I did for ONR were pretty high poly and still looked a little blocky from up close.  If you can find anybody who thinks they can build that and actually get it to run in-game (without a sudden frame-rate drop when it comes on screen), I wish them luck.

Offline Jamould

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 08:04:00 AM »
Okay thanks For the Info

Offline Jamould

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 11:32:08 AM »
How about Something a wee bit more simple, like This Bokken made from Japanese loquat wood with weapon length of 101.5cm (About 40") blade length 75.5cm (About 30")  And Tsuka length of 26cm (about 10")
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 11:01:20 AM by Jamould »

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 10:16:11 PM »
The bokken I put in ONR only took a few minutes to do.  Mine was low-poly (an objective of ONR, to keep the game easy on low-end machines), so it looks a little bit blocky if you study it up close, and the texture we used was actually for bamboo (historical note - bamboo outer layer laminate was used a lot on Japanese polearms, bokken, and other hardwood items - it reduces splintering)... but feel free to pull my model from the one of the released ONR versions, and use it as an example.  If you really want exactly the pictured bokken, or want it higher-poly, you will need to make significant changes... but a few minutes in Wings 3D will do it (even if you're new at this stuff).

Just changed computers, myself, and I don't have my modding stuff set up yet ...

But if you do want to learn to make 3D models, changes like this are a good place to start practicing.

Offline Jamould

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 12:27:44 AM »
Thanks, Ill Look into Blender and wings 3d
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 11:01:00 AM by Jamould »