Author Topic: Suggestions  (Read 24552 times)

Cirdan

Re: Suggestions
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2007, 09:45:11 AM »
I disagree. In all video games I've ever played, and in most anime/whatever for that matter, I find that characters take way to long to ready their attacks. If you want a more detailed argument, i'll PM it.

What annoys me with the weapons is that imodbits are not modular, and even if they were they're placed in a text file with a somewhat obscure format. So I'd suggest using imodbits as little as possible if you intend for a rational weapons progression. What I was thinking was a progression like this:
crude < iron < steel < well-crafted
and then have two choices for higher end weapons: heavy/large/massive weapons which favour raw damaging power at the expense of speed, and finely balanced weapons which are both faster and deadlier than their well-crafted counterparts and considerably faster but less powerful than their massive equivalents. This ought to be doable with a simple text editor (not IDLE which lacks a horizontal scrolling bar) by copy-paste-edit, although frankly i'm not sure it's worth the ammount of repetitve work entailed. Hopefully imodbits will be modular in the next version, but that will not be for a long time :( .

Merentha

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2007, 11:40:06 AM »
I disagree. In all video games I've ever played, and in most anime/whatever for that matter, I find that characters take way to long to ready their attacks. If you want a more detailed argument, i'll PM it.
I assume that this is because of the "charge-up" phenomenon, where holding your swing apparently makes it more powerful.  Most cuts are either far too fast or far too slow, so you're both right.   :P

Satyr

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2007, 07:37:05 PM »
So is it possible for weapons to give bonuses to stats or weapon skills? Just wondering.

Merentha

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2007, 07:54:51 PM »
Yes, to both.  tLD's sword of Westernesse does both.

Tuckles

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2007, 02:58:54 AM »
It could open interesting new quests if ex_otto implemented that. But it's gotta be a hard quest.

Cirdan

« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2007, 10:22:49 AM »
Ah, the charge up. I wish my muscles worked liked condensators :lol:

Tuckles
: I don't see how a weapon could give skills boosts without involving magic. On the other hand, it could be interesting if the clothes you wore influenced people's reactions; that would create a real point for those clothes you can buy in the mod.

Eother

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2007, 09:55:48 PM »
Well, it sorta breaks the realism, doesn't it?

PLEASE NOTE: EVERYTHING HEREOFF IS MY OPINION, AND IF YOU HAVE A VIOLENT REACTION, FEEL FREE TO PM ME.
I don't wanna be responsible for board clutter. That is all.

Swords weren't meant to be fast slashing beasts that you see in anime, etc. They were meant to be precisely slashed for maximum effectiveness. Katanas and the like were probably made for that, but if I remember correctly, it was mostly a one-slash who-hits-first deal. And besides, I believe that the attack speed is hard coded and for a faster attack speed, you'd need more agility.

You are the reason I suggested having the option to keep it slow. I know some people like that, though I personally don't. Heh, I absolutely despise anime. I never meant THAT fast, dear God no. It just seemed like a balanced saber could go a little faster...

@whoever said something about the hard-coding: You're probably right, but you CAN change weapons speeds. It shows the weapon speed in game, and I'm certain you can change it.

Offline ex_ottoyuhr

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2007, 11:17:55 AM »
Given that I've seen requests for higher weapon speeds both here and in Bug Reports, I'll certainly implement them. (Before you ask, it's intentional that "Suggestions" and "Bug Reports" overlap for buggy or semi-non-functional areas of existing gameplay...)

It's not directly possible for a weapon to grant skill improvements, but it can be done fairly straightforwardly nonetheless -- though I doubt it'd be so straightforward if I hadn't seen the TLD implementation. However, I don't see myself doing that anytime too soon...

Cirdan,

I like the suggestion of two "paths" of top-tier weaponry -- I'll probably do that. I won't make any guarantees of when, though -- especially not necessarily next version. Armagan's to-do list isn't the only cluttered one. :)

Hist-Man

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2007, 11:43:12 AM »
Can someone answer my question from page two?

I am NOT trying to be disrespectful by my question (asking someone to answer) I'm just curious.

Lanky

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2007, 07:13:36 PM »
There don't seem to be many weapons to choose from in the mod. It's basically sabres, bows, and lances. That's it. How about adding in things like mauls, hand-axes, or more maces? I really think that it wouldn't detract from the feel of the cultures either or the weapons could be a player only thing (I think someone suggested before). I mean, almost every culture in the world has some sort of axe that it uses and something as simple as puting the ornamental maul in from native would look great as well.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 07:16:49 PM by Lanky »

Offline ex_ottoyuhr

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2007, 07:40:36 PM »
Hist-man, your suggestion on adding shields is definitely a good one, and I'll be implementing it. I could've sworn that I'd replied to it -- I must not have made it adequately clear. I apologize -- I didn't mean to ignore you...

Lanky, I had wanted to stick to just swords, sabers, lances and bows, but you're not the first person to request more weapon types. I don't like it, but I think I'll add axes, maces, etc. after all -- though they'll be rare, closer to an "Easter egg" than a 'mainstream' weapon type... (Also, if you've ever seen a 'rebel peasants' party, I think that some of them use axes. Of course, it's kind of tricky at the present to get a city's morale low enough to get one...)

Hist-Man

« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2007, 03:58:53 AM »
It's alright.

Maybe you did reply, but I just didn't read it close enough.

Oh and I'm glad you like my idea.  :)

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2007, 06:54:34 AM »
To everyone who didn't see this post in the "What to do with archery" thread, we are working on a conversion to the now extremely well-known "Realistic Combat Model" (RCM).  It will either eliminate or completely re-sort issues of balance, speed, and such.

Once conversions are made, the issue of weapon balance will be open again ... until then, everybody stand by on that one.  The weapons are about to be fixed, to as close to real life as I can get them within the M&B game engine, and as close to ex_ottoyuhr's vision of this world as he can explain to me.

This will probably involve some beta testing, eventually.  If you need other versions of the RCM for comparison, check out Onin-no-Ran or the RCM retrofit to Native (both on the file repository) ... that will give everybody a frame of reference, when we do get ready for final tweaking.

I do not know how long this will take.  Previous RCM versions were historical (ONR, released, and the betas of Mesoamerica and Holy War), so literary license was not an issue, as it is here with a semi-fantasy setting ... I don't want to hijack his mod, after all.  I'm a better historian than a fantasy adventure writer.

Ron

aGorilla

« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2007, 03:59:21 PM »
As everybody else has mentioned, great mod!

Is there any chance that you could use the (currently useless) 'Quests' system to track the military status of each town?  I'm quite forgetful, and it would be a great way to use it to serve as my notepad.

When I stop by a castle, and ask for the military status, it should log the status as a quest under the town's name.  When I click on the quests button, it displays a list of cities (only those where I've asked for military status).  When I click on the name of a city, I get the same info that the steward had given me.

To keep it realistic, it shouldn't be 'live' info (ie: if the status has changed, I'll need to revisit the city to find out).

Riddler

« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2007, 08:34:08 AM »
What about quests? Are there any quests? And am I the only one who gets tired of fighting for loot after a while? While still at low levels, sieges and large scale battles are too hard, and at that stage this mod is extremely boring.