login

Author Topic: General and Download Info  (Read 22790 times)

Offline ex_ottoyuhr

• View Profile
General and Download Info
« on: February 02, 2007, 08:24:14 PM »
As it currently stands, A Shield Lying on the Water implements a "strategic war" system, with towns tracking economic development, purchasing parties, and being vulnerable to hostile nations' (or the player's) efforts at invasion. This is intended to be the underlying stratum for a role-playing / strategic-war game, vaguely like the Fire Emblem series -- though taking that analogy and running with it will get you going in the wrong direction.

Planned features not too far down the road include a much better siege system, more detailed (and more present) NPCs with a possible "personality" system modelled on... ... Oh, crud, I can't think of anything published that I can cite as a precedent. Well then, it'll be fairly novel -- if it can be implemented in M&B in a practical manner, which could be a big if.

Also intended for the future are ambushes in taverns, town raids (similar to the latest developments in Darkmod), and fewer bugs with invasion forces. :)

Download here, off the Official File Repository.

I'll add changelists here beginning with 0.23, coming soon; in the meantime, see the original thread, here.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 11:34:04 PM by ex_ottoyuhr »

scarfacejq

Re: General and Download Info
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 12:18:39 PM »
Silly question:

Other than trying to get prisoners to join me...what can I do with them?  I can't find anywhere to sell them yet.

thanks!

aGorilla

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 04:36:29 PM »
Silly question:

Other than trying to get prisoners to join me...what can I do with them?  I can't find anywhere to sell them yet.

thanks!

You can garison them at towns that you own.  Once your charisma is high enough, you can try to persuade them to join your army.

Tuckles

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 10:00:46 PM »
heya ex, how goes the new version?

Lol, it's been a long time since I've posted >_>

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 10:16:03 PM »
heya ex, how goes the new version?

Lol, it's been a long time since I've posted >_>

I can help with that question.

A complete rework of the combat model is in motion.  As soon as concept art and modeling are ready, the plan is to convert ASLOW to the "Realistic Combat Model" (RCM).  As for how it's going, we're waiting on the concept art and such ... so it may be a while.

I don't know what else is scheduled to work its way into the next version, but it won't be happening until the aforementioned development is together and playable.

In a word, it's going "slow" ... but that's better than rushing it.  I've been encouraging ex_ottoyuhr to take his time, be careful and do this right.

Ron

Tuckles

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 09:03:27 PM »
AWESOME! ASLOW's gonna have RCM? Yay!

keep up the good work then :D

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 04:29:48 AM »
AWESOME! ASLOW's gonna have RCM? Yay!

keep up the good work then :D

Actually, quite possibly the most elaborate custom RCM so far...

... if we can actually pull off all the stuff we've discussed, that is.

But it's gonna be a while.  I don't know who he's got as a concept artist, but that guy must be pulling out his hair by now.  We're probably going to end up doing this in stages - converting the first group of equipment, and then putting more items on-line as the models are ready.

Don't know how long it will be before we need beta testers... but we will eventually need some experienced RCM fans to hunt for bugs.  Might be able to use some experts in exotic central and east-Asian weapons too ... specifically to check my work for bugs.  But there will be more announcements to that effect later.

Tuckles

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 06:03:00 AM »
lol, that complicated eh?

afaik otto is the only one working on the mod.

experienced RCM Fans? You can get some of those in the Onin No Ran Thread xD

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 06:39:32 AM »
lol, that complicated eh?

afaik otto is the only one working on the mod.

experienced RCM Fans? You can get some of those in the Onin No Ran Thread xD

He has somebody lined up doing concept art for him ... don't know who, but he's very happy about finally having a decent concept artist.  (It's not me, that's for sure... I draw stick figures.)  I think I am also technically "working on this mod" at this point - so far only with about 50 pages of various notes on historical combat, weapons data, and fiction-writing (in a long-running conversation by PM), but soon putting in and testing the actual stats.  ASLOW is short-handed, sure, but not as bad as you suggest.

And it's going to be complicated, yeah.  Not only do we have to get the weapons physically and/or historically accurate, but this requires creating the back-story and weapon evolution of several fictional societies.  The big issue there is trying to predict how pieces of equipment that never really faced off on a historical battlefield might interact, and how their creators might have reacted (i.e. by evolving the designs and/or tactics).  It very quickly turns into some kind of philosophical chicken-or-egg question.  Throw in items with back-stories (items that were the traditional dueling blade of somebody, so they continued to carry them even if they weren't all that efficient, or some such quirky cultural artifacts), and game balance becomes tight.  The strategic war model makes balance a lot bigger issue as well.  That's the problem with working fiction, instead of historical setting.

And yes, if and when this is ever ready for beta testing, various ads will be posted to get the needed people involved... but no need creating too much hype too early.  There's a mountain of work between now and when it's ready for beta tests.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 07:03:22 AM by Ron Losey »

Offline ex_ottoyuhr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2007, 03:43:42 PM »
What he said. :) It doesn't help that I'm really not much of an armorer -- I've always been interested chiefly in people and societies, and my interest in the early modern period has gotten me into the bad habit of assuming that weapons can generally be trusted to take care of themselves. That's only true if you're talking about massed levied troops, powerful centralized states, and personal firearms, all of which are kind of missing in ASLOW...

Also, I haven't heard back even now from my concept artist. He seems to have fallen off the planet, or perhaps I've just ended up working with someone almost as slow as I am in answering forum posts and discussion threads... :)

And although I'm the main person working on the mod, I want to keep it that way. There's really not enough code to justify multiple people on that side of the project (although you'd never know it from my rate of non-progress :)), and as to the creative aspects, I'm the only person with this setting in my head, so...

Of course, some sort of outside-M&B scene editor, and a way to make multiple-room buildings slightly less painful, would be greatly welcome if Armagan develops them...

Myden Blat

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2007, 02:19:59 PM »
I <3 Fire Emblem!!!

Quail

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2007, 03:05:16 PM »
I <3 Fire Emblem!!!

Dude...what was this for?

I come back after having my computer bursting into flames to find this?

Myden Blat

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2007, 03:16:56 PM »
Pfft, i just love it. Since i've been playing the mod i haven't felt it realates much to that game.

What is that Realistic combat model doing anyways?

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2007, 06:35:02 PM »
RCM is slightly bogged down in literary concerns. 

As soon as ex_otto gets me a little more information on a couple of the factions, I'm going to pretty much totally re-create the items file.  (He's kind of busy right now.)  Then troops and troop trees have to be rebuilt to correspond to the model.  Just converting the weapons would be easy, but rebuilding the whole world such that combat is believable - who knows how long this will take.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2007, 02:59:48 AM »
This is a general update for anyone following ASLOW's development.

Thanks to Raz and the Holy War development team, it looks like we now have some relatively good graphics (as soon as I get them all sorted out) for lamellar and scale armors, and a few other assorted items.  This will greatly reduce the number of placeholder graphics in use, and subsequently greatly improve the next release.  Raz has really gone way beyond normal information share here, and is letting ASLOW use stuff from the as-of-yet unreleased developer's version of HW... so all ASLOW fans owe him big-time.

The bad news is that sorting through all of this is not making the process go any faster ... so everybody has to keep waiting for a bit.  Still, it's better than making the next release with a lot of placeholder graphics ... so the extra delay will be worth it.

Tuckles

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2007, 04:00:46 AM »
Well, if you want, I can help add the items.

I know my basic Modding, and I really want to help speed up development. You guys can just send me the module_items.py, texture names and the RCM stats and I'll place 'em in asap.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2007, 06:25:40 AM »
Well, if you want, I can help add the items.

I know my basic Modding, and I really want to help speed up development. You guys can just send me the module_items.py, texture names and the RCM stats and I'll place 'em in asap.

I'm doing that already.  I can do it myself in about the same time I can explain it to you.  Maybe less, because I know what I'm looking for, and because I know where to find certain items to cut and paste.  It's the looking for models/textures and figuring out the stats that take time... plus bringing in models and such from other places can get a little tricky in spots.

But I've still got too many irons in the fire, personally ...

Don't wander off, however ... we'll likely need testers soon enough.  (Hopefully we'll have this patched together enough for some major testing in the next three or four weeks.... but don't quote me on that.  That's just a hope right now.)