login

Author Topic: Recruitment/contributions thread  (Read 34823 times)

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
Re: Recruitment/contributions thread
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2007, 05:59:57 PM »
Yeah, I'm confirmed ... I'm on board for the new version.

I posted this in a couple of other places ... not sure what the new stuff is going to do to the RCM.  The first version will probably just have those variable settings set to what they are in .808.  That won't add anything, but it won't screw anything up either.  Then, they can be tweaked as we study them further.

I'm still trying to figure out what kind of formula the new stuff uses.  Anybody who figures it out, make sure to send it to me immediately.  (I suppose the module system still hasn't been released.)

Offline guspav

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2007, 06:12:02 PM »
welcome again, Ron.. we'll make it even better this time ;)

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2007, 06:18:01 PM »
welcome again, Ron.. we'll make it even better this time ;)

I like to think so, but until I see the new formulas, nothing is certain.  This thing could be a nightmare to work with.

Apollon-04

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2007, 06:22:08 PM »
Hey, put me down for texturing too. I figured that was implied when I said modeling.  :) Who wants models without textures?

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2007, 08:15:00 PM »
Speaking of modeling, check out what .890 has done with the models.  There are multiple detail levels on most items.  Armors that are 500 poly up close drop to a low-res model (maybe 16 triangles) at distance.

Shouldn't be a problem to take advantage of this - just take some of the native low-res models and retexture them.  It will be some work, but not technically difficult.

Offline guspav

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2007, 10:22:32 PM »
yeah, those should be easy, we don't even have to model much, just retexture since details aren't important at a distance

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2007, 10:35:30 PM »
yeah, those should be easy, we don't even have to model much, just retexture since details aren't important at a distance

And they mean we can increase battle sizes and poly count on items up close by as much as we want.  They will effectively reduce load on the system by possibly as much as 90%.

This will make a solution for why we couldn't do wild feathered headgear and such ... high poly count will no longer kill us like it would, since the total poly count on the screen will be exponentially lower anyway.

Now if we can just get animated thrown and melee weapons, so we can do slings and a proper atlatl...

Offline guspav

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2007, 11:20:21 PM »
the guys from the paleolithic mod made a fine looking atl atl, I just don't know how it works.. but if it uses any of the weapon types we're using I guess it won't work.. we'll have to check with them.
Yeah, more detailed stuff will be possible.. I think I'll start remaking all those shields to have a better looking mesh. The obsidian dagger also could use some more work and armors could be a lot better.. armor banners I am not so certain to include, since they would obstruct sight if the player was wearing them.
Since we're all more experienced at modelling I think we could overhaul mesoamerica significantly, still we also have to advance game development a bit, since we don't want to stick to version 0.304 only with prettier models  :green:

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2007, 01:59:05 AM »
We already have a pretty good list of game advances ... they just have to be programmed in.

1.  All the prisoner sacrifice stuff for the Aztecs.  (and Maya and whoever else)  Appropriate fame and promotions for the various factions as a result of this.

2.  More true factions ... Mayan and others.  Maybe other Spanish parties up or down the coast.

3.  Convert the Velasquez army to an actual faction ... make it possible for it to take over Veracruz and/or for the player to join it.

4.  Add some more "what if" stuff, like the locals getting more Spanish equipment over time.

5.  City combat.  .890 has a city wall attack model and such, so addition of walled cities/villages and urban assault/combat should now be feasible.  Will require that the models for Aztec villages and related structures be completed.

6.  Plus the new strategic stuff that .890 adds - blunt weapons options, command map screen, larger battle sizes.

That was just the stuff that has been discussed, planned, or wished for.  If that much were added, the next version will have its share of new content.  At least enough to last one more major release, before we will have to come up with new ideas.

Offline guspav

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2007, 09:07:51 AM »
Agreed, 0.89X offers a lot of new features and cool advancements including the possibility to pillage and defend villages plus a ton of new battle commands that make the game a lot more interesting tactically-wise.

Sacrifices of war prisoners will be there of course, it has long been a planned feature (just never got to actually making it) hehe
Now village improvement would be especially interesting if we adapt it to Veracruz, say it would have city improvements that are directly "willing Christian natives- dependent". Of course if we added that, which would be very good, we could go back in time a bit and start the mod when Cortes firstly arrived on Veracruz's coast and start the village and fort with him from scratch.
Native cities wouldn't see much development in their villages, maybe the most we could do is give a fief at some given point to a famous native player warrior and allow him/her to improve it a little bit.. or maybe a lot with  that what-if stuff (an iron forge, battlements for the walls, a gunsmith.. ) I guess it'll all depend on how complicated it is to make and all that, but for now it looks like a ton of work to me :D
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 09:10:14 AM by guspav »

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2007, 03:42:33 AM »
Of course it's a ton of work.  The good part is, it doesn't have to be added all at once.  The first port to .890 can be pretty much just the current game plus the few features that the new game engine adds automatically.  Then the new stuff can be brought on-line a feature or two at a time.

That's the way Fujiwara has been running ONR - features are added and/or debugged in small bits, over a course of a dozen minor releases.  He lets the fans do the beta test, in a word.  It makes debugging easier, since fewer things have changed since the last round.

Mesoamerica could get away with that.  Most of the currently planned features are not major balance issues, but just little stuff-to-do items that could be added a piece at a time.  That would make the work a lot less imposing, and a lot easier to get a grip on things.

Offline guspav

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2007, 09:50:03 AM »
well, I guess it's time to playtest the new version, see how buggy it is and start converting, the new module system is ready!

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2007, 05:46:07 PM »
Yep ... it's show time.

I'm going to get on it immediately and see if I can get an RCM version together ASAP.  See if I can figure out what we're really dealing with, beyond just the quirky changes to Native.  I figure that's the first step, anyway.

Offline guspav

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2007, 07:12:32 PM »
it seems the port will be slow, hopefully not painful as well hehe, things have got a bit more complicated but a lot of options seem to be available now also.
Still 0.891 isn't (that) stable yet but we can start checking the module system and begin figuring some things out, like the new module files and see the possibility of making new animations since they're also possible now... hehe I feel like a small child in a candy shop full of interesting new flavors :D

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2007, 08:00:47 PM »
The new options don't really help the RCM any ... so for me, it's like looking at a pile of pointless work retyping everything.

I'm going to try to have a new RCM-Native version up for testing within the next 48 hours or so.  (Got about 20% so far.)  It will have some bugs, I'm sure, but at least it will push the new and freaky Native combat balance (or lack thereof) off the board and tell us what we're really dealing with.

Not much in the line of format changes in the item file.  One property added ... "itp_civilian" ... not sure what it does, exactly.  Otherwise, looks pretty much the same.  Might be able to use the current Mesoamerica item file with minimal changes.  That's one scrap of good news.