login

Author Topic: BUG Reports  (Read 30365 times)

Offline guspav

• View Profile
BUG Reports
« on: February 01, 2007, 06:43:04 PM »
If you find some of those squishy, crunchy and annoying thingies, post them here, I'll make sure they have a fair trial and then are swiftly executed :P

Apollon-04

Re: BUG Reports
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 03:59:29 PM »
Ok guspav, I found a slimy bugger. When you're in combat, and you're walking straight forward a wodden stick thing appears going straight down your back if you look at a certain angle, I dont know if it was the weapons I had or what. ( I was carrying a chipped obsidian spear, a chipped obsidian axe, a hunting bow, and arrows.

EDIT1: This ones a little weird, when I was fighting a mexica war party there was a line that started where the enemy spawned and ended wherever I moved my aimer, so the further I moved my aimer away, the longer the line got.

EDIT2: I figuresd it out, this little stick line appears on every person, you can see it on yourself really easily if you press veiw, and when you look at your enemies, the line stretches to your aimer, so every person hasone. I suggest trying to defenitely fix this bug, because it is very anoyying.

EDIT 3: This doesnt happen every battle, jsut most, and I figured out it doesnt matter what wepaons I have.

Also, when I went into tlaxcala I got an error, and it froze my whole computer, even after I tried ctrl+alt+delete

Edit: I tried going back in, but I cant, but at least this time, it didnt freeze my whole computer.

Now I cant get into any city, and the game is ruined..... bum bum buuuuuum

Edit okay, sorry, I forgot about that.

EDIT 4: More info on this bug, I cant fight any1 either, I  cant do anything, I'll be starting a new game and trying again.

WHen you try to enter the arena, you get a bug, and mount & blade freezes.

When you try to invade radoghire and probably culmarr castle,for ways inn, and the salt mine, you get an error, and mount and blade freezes.

The wooden stick appears, theres no other way to describe it, its like a large wooden splinter, but  I cant do screenies, since I dont have Photoshop. sorry I was a tlaxclalan, I wasnt wearing jaguar armor.It said that it had encountered a prblem and to click retry to try to solve the problem (which always totally freezes my computers) or abort, which just shuts down mount & Blade.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 06:59:50 PM by Apollon-04 »

Merentha

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 04:56:28 PM »
Rather than large amounts of new posts, please use the edit button to make additions to existing posts.  Thank you.   ;)

Offline guspav

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 06:36:23 PM »
merentha is right
first, try to condense all the bugs you found in a single post to avoid quadruple posting and to not reach 100 posting pages :D

now I'd like you to be a bit more specific about all those bugs
like:
 what faction where you playing with?
 what exactly were you doing?

now more specifically:

- wait a sec.. what wooden stick thing? is that a weapon you were carrying? (I'd like a screenie if you don't mind)
- is it the messed up tail of the jaguar armor that sometimes makes one of it's vertexes go all funny?
- when you went into tlaxcala and the game froze, did you get an error message (like a rgl error?)
- do you get any messages when it crashes in other cities?
- were you in the middle of a quest?
- do you get similar errors on vanilla o other mods?
- I am aware of the arena error, I am not worrying too much about it since  all arenas will be either removed or heavily modified

maybe you should try playing (all new) again and see if the freezing error persists, please keep me posted :)

EDIT: just condensed all your posts to make them more reader friendly :D

« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 10:59:41 PM by guspav »

Lord Adler

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 09:12:12 AM »
I was just playing around with the RCM version of the beta you sent me. Did you want me to playtest that, or just the regular beta? The RCM is pretty awesome, by the way. Kudos to Ron.

Anyhow, if you do want me to playtest the RCM, I've already got some bugs to report. But if not, I won't waste our time.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 09:21:29 AM »
I was just playing around with the RCM version of the beta you sent me. Did you want me to playtest that, or just the regular beta? The RCM is pretty awesome, by the way. Kudos to Ron.

Anyhow, if you do want me to playtest the RCM, I've already got some bugs to report. But if not, I won't waste our time.

By all means, report the bugs.  If they're with the "Realistic Combat Model", I'll take care of them.  (Otherwise, it's going to require somebody with more programming skill than me.)

Glad you like it.  I think both versions were put out to allow everybody to compare the two - a poll of sorts, to see if the RCM was popular.  Otherwise, the two are identical, as far as I know.

Lord Adler

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 11:58:06 AM »
I would DEFINITELY go with the RCM, for two reasons. First, it's more realistic (duh) and more fun. Second, if we want to truly add something to the Native module other than new items and troops, we should go with this. Most mods are basically just Native with a few new swords thrown in. The mods that truly shine are the ones that add new gameplay mechanics, like 1066's town capturing and the ability to recruit from wandering parties. Pirates! added ships and stuff, Craftmod added the whole crafting thing. By using the RCM with the mod, we're making the mod stand out from the rest of the rabble.

Anyhow, I've wasted enough words. I'll make my report. I play as a Spaniard, by the way. I can test the natives later, if you like.

-If you ask peasant women parties to join you for the Cortez quest, they do so willingly. However, you go up to the battle preparation screen (with options to attack, have your men attack, or leave). Leaving the 'battle' solves everything. However, since the women join you prior to you seeing the battle menu, I imagine that if you tried to fight, it would screw your game up something fierce. Cortez accepts the women just fine. However, when I was ordered to make peace with the Tlaxcaltec (after frickin' smoking one of their war parties!), and I successfully made an alliance with the enemy chief, the dialogue 'About the mission you gave me' was still there from the peasant woman quest. That's a dead-ender if you pick it, but the 'I've made peace with the enemy' dialogue works just fine. The dead-ender dialogue goes away after that.

-Bullets 'jump'. It's been a problem with firearms mods since Waterloo Mod, and its always pissed me off. The only mods that don't have the problem (or don't appear to) are the ones that set musket accuracy so low that you never bloody well hit anything. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about: you have a perfect shot at an enemy, he has no shield, you're on a flat plain with nothing to obstruct your shot. Then bam! You fire, and the bullet passes through the enemy without registering as a hit. Then he destroys you with that battle axe you were laughing at only a moment before. I don't know what causes this, and it sometimes happens with crossbow bolts too in this mod (but I've never seen bolts or arrows do it in other mods). If you can do anything to fix this, please do. As it is, even with the 99 accuracy, guns are still pretty much worthless since most of the time the bullets go right through your target.

-If you need to negotiate a peace with an enemy lord, you need to sneak into their town first and then manually go up to the castle. Could you implement a dialogue that has you talking to the guards, like in Native? Ask for an audience with the enemy lord, they tell you to mind your manners, but you can go straight to the castle without sneaking in.

-The peasant woman quest doesn't disappear from the quest screen after its completed

-Big one here, fellas: you can't capture an enemy general. If one is defeated, I guess he registers as 'dead' instead of unconscious. If you defeated a general, after the battle and before the loot screen and prisoner screens appear, the general will appear with a dialogue that says something like 'you've trespassed on our sacred soil, prepare to get owned!'. But that's all for that dialogue. Then you go to the loot screen and prisoner screens, but the general isn't one of the capturable enemies.

-When delivering the peasant women to Cortez (I wish he'd give me another quest!), you get a warning message on the side (not a popup, just a message) that says WARNING: unmatched else_try. It doesn't appear to do anything, but I thought you'd like to know.

I'll report 'em as I see 'em. Get cracking, lads. :P

Offline guspav

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2007, 12:57:44 PM »
wow, thanks for the report

- yeah I know you're (strangely) sent to battle screens after talking to some parties, even if you didn't actually try to attack them, I think it has something to do with the encounter trigger.. will look into that. For now what you can do is just press leave and it's over

I'll look into that dead ender right away.. shouldn't be happening though
EDIT: OK the dead ender is gone

- I don't know about those jumping bullets thing, I have played with arquebusiers and haven't had many problems aming and accuracy is set to 99 so it can't be that... weird

- I agree will try to customize those menus

- oops that's a dumb mistake I made.. correcting
EDIT: corrected, those quests will be completed now

- you *can*  capture enemy generals but only if you fight war parties alone (your party vs a war party, nobody else) that's because m&b engine is screwed and that enemy_defeated dialogue starter isn't working, so i made a workaround that forces the capture of generals, but only like that.

- hmm weird will look into that else_try thing
EDIT: I can't find any else_try thingies anywhere, will keep looking

thanks again for the report :)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 01:50:11 PM by guspav »

Lord Adler

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007, 04:52:20 PM »
Cool, good to see everyone's driving in high gear today.

You probably HAVE experienced the problem with muskets. It's not an aiming issue...it's a physics problem. You see the bullet go straight through an enemy, but it doesn't register as a hit and it does no damage. It's obviously not a miss, but the game doesn't register it as a hit either. I don't know why, but I know pretty much every mod has had this problem. I think it's a problem with bullet speed, like when you set the speed up too high, the bullets kinda phase through their targets. It was explained a long time ago in the Waterloo thread back on Taleworlds. I forget how it was explained exactly, though.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2007, 08:47:01 PM »
The jumping missiles are a physics problem of the M&B engine.  If the target is too close, the hit-box does not register.  Only happens when the target's hit-box is closer than the end of the weapon, i.e point-blank.  Worse with javelins and guns than bows, since the gun barrel sticks out a lot further than a bow.  However, that plus rather jerky movement if your frame rate is a little low (like mine) makes missile attacks at close range quite difficult.  I don't think there's anything we can do about it.  Just shoot at greater range - don't try to stick the barrel into your enemy's mouth before you pull the trigger.

I'll look at that waterloo thread and see if anybody there had a solution.

--------------------------------

Glad you like the RCM, but it's not going to be unique.  It was developed for Onin-no-Ran, where it is operational (minus a few bugs, soon to be corrected), and is also operational on the version .808 beta of Holy War.  There are plans to test The Last Days on this model as well, and discussion with ASLOW and the "Darklands" remake project "Shattenlander".  Mesoamerica has the distinction of being the first working port of the model from ONR, where it was originally developed, and one of the conversions by the model's original developer (me).  However, it looks like the entire mod community is converting to it.  This mod is just at the head of the pack.

You have no idea what we went through over at ONR to develop this thing.

Edit:  some guys on the Brother-against-Brother project seemed to think that velocities under 70 make the hit mesh work at close range, and under 120 to ensure it works at any range.  I'll test that.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 09:13:46 PM by Ron Losey »

Lord Adler

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2007, 11:00:59 AM »
Please do test it. I guess I may be the only one experiencing this problem, but the problem with the ranged attacks happens at all sorts of ranges; not just close range. It's weird: I'll shoot at, say, 100 meters and the hit box won't register, even though it was obviously a hit. Then I'll shoot at the same target at 90 meters and hit. Then maybe 60 meters won't hit, but 45 will, and then you'll have the same problem at 20 meters. Obviously the game doens't really use meters for measurement, but now you have some idea. The range seems to vary, so you have to maneuver to find a 'sweet spot.' This really sucks when you have guys at different ranges shooting at you. Some of them won't be able to hit you either because the shots won't register, but the other ten will. I know you'd be dead anyway, but it's a pain having to use trial and error to see who you can hit.

Anyhow, I'll give Onin no Ran a try when a newer, less buggy version comes out. I remember from .751 that it was pretty cool. Even if the RCM isn't unique to MesoAmerica, it still kicks ass man.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2007, 07:57:34 PM »
Please do test it. I guess I may be the only one experiencing this problem, but the problem with the ranged attacks happens at all sorts of ranges; not just close range. It's weird: I'll shoot at, say, 100 meters and the hit box won't register, even though it was obviously a hit. Then I'll shoot at the same target at 90 meters and hit. Then maybe 60 meters won't hit, but 45 will, and then you'll have the same problem at 20 meters. Obviously the game doens't really use meters for measurement, but now you have some idea. The range seems to vary, so you have to maneuver to find a 'sweet spot.' This really sucks when you have guys at different ranges shooting at you. Some of them won't be able to hit you either because the shots won't register, but the other ten will. I know you'd be dead anyway, but it's a pain having to use trial and error to see who you can hit.

Anyhow, I'll give Onin no Ran a try when a newer, less buggy version comes out. I remember from .751 that it was pretty cool. Even if the RCM isn't unique to MesoAmerica, it still kicks ass man.

Yeah, I sent Guspav a version where all shot velocities are 70 or below.  It *seems* to work.  No promises, but at least it's not so obvious.

Lord Adler

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2007, 08:20:09 PM »
Cheers. I look forward to trying it out. Any chance of incorporating the RCM into Native, just for fun?

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2007, 10:07:50 PM »
Cheers. I look forward to trying it out. Any chance of incorporating the RCM into Native, just for fun?

You're about the tenth person to ask that, actually.  I'm considering it ... If I wasn't trying to get three different mods working at the moment (ONR, Holy War, and here), with the possibility of up to three more getting involved (including TLD - which would be a test of my talent, to be sure).

... All of the biggest projects in the M&B world ...
Somehow, a retrofit to native is back burner right now.

Care to help?

Ironically, the Mesoamerica conversion has been the easiest of these projects.  I expected guns and stone weapons to create all kinds of balance issues, but they seem to have converted pretty cleanly.

The Pope

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2007, 03:57:15 AM »
The bullet problem happens because games work on time segments rather than continuous time. I'm guessing M&B does it at your framerate. Essentially, the problem is that if a projectile is going fast enough, it will be on one side of the target at one check and have gone past it by the next one. Here's a diagram:

Real Life Bullet:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------(SPLAT)

Game Bullet:

-             -                    -                -              -  (Missed)  -           -

It can be fixed either by making bullets slower or making their bounding box longer.