Author Topic: Suggestions  (Read 30164 times)

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2007, 11:48:16 PM »
I wouldn't advise you to ride a llama if you're over 40kg  :lol:

I would have called it over 40 I.Q. - but whatever.

Offline Nethros

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2007, 12:21:58 AM »
Correction: UNDER 40 I.Q? Or it's just me that doesn't get the joke?

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2007, 12:30:49 AM »
Correction: UNDER 40 I.Q? Or it's just me that doesn't get the joke?

If you're over 40 IQ, you're too smart to try to try to ride a llama.  Just like if you're over 40 KG, you're too heavy to ride one.

(If you're under 40 IQ, you might be dumb enough to think you could get away with that ... and in that case, more power to you.)

It's not the joke that eludes you ... it's the grammar.

Apollon-04

« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2007, 03:13:16 PM »
I have a suggestion, you know the gold bracelets and gold earrings? well shouldnt you be able to equip those? i think the earrings might be hard, because im pretty sure when you make a helmet, it overrides your hair, so if you had to make earrings, the scalp would automatically be bald, and youd have to make the helmet the whole top part of the head, jsut with earrings, and then your character wouldnt look like he normally does (if you dont get what im trying to say jsut tell me and ill try to explain it). The gold bracelets would be fairly easy to make, theyd jsut be like a gauntlet without gloves. You may not be able to make the earrings work, but the gold bracelets would look cool!

Offline guspav

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2007, 04:37:28 PM »
yep, you're right, that could work, however, I'd have to model a bracelet AND a hand, and color would conflict somewhat, besides that i don't know how gauntlets are animated (can find out, though)

EDIT: they seem to use md3 animations which I don't know yet how to setup (that's why we don't have new sheaths yet)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 04:42:15 PM by guspav »

Goodknight

« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2007, 07:46:35 AM »
First of all I must say I thank you for this mod. I have waited to play something like this. It is wonderful.

What my suggestion is:

I can see that this mod has pieced together as accurately as possible the events that took place in 1520/21. I long for something slightly different though. We all know what happened to the indigeonous peoples of the americas in later years. I want to try to change history and prevent the subsoquent genocides (thats how I see it anyway). I like playing Tlaxcaltec but I am very mindful of thier place in history. I think they could have done better. It would be incredible to make it possible for an amitious Tlaxcaltec (and possibly Mexica) to meet with the leaders of every town and try to form an alliance against the Spanish, not just be thier lapdogs. High charisma might be necessary, not unlike the negotiations in Storymod. It would be wonderful to be able to unite the peoples of this region as one big confederacy against european encroatchment.

PS: I have played this mod ALOT but I never quite completed it, please forgive me and disregard my suggestion if this is already in play.
PSS: If only it were possible to animate pouring molten gold down Cortez's throat!

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2007, 08:21:55 AM »
It is already possible for the Mexica and Tlax. to ally.  If you play the Spanish, they will most certainly do so when you are least prepared for it.  Not sure the exact options if you are playing Tlax.

The other towns and their subsequent quests have not yet been implemented.  I'm not sure when Guspav foresees them coming into play.  It may also eventually be possible to play as one of the other tribes, but that is most certainly a long way off.

And historically, the Spanish invasions were unnecessarily brutal and deliberately aimed at crushing the indigenous cultures, but they were not technically a true "genocide".  Spain actually wanted enough of the locals to survive that they could be enslaved.  Mostly a semantic difference, all considered, but the term "genocide" is technically incorrect.  The eradication of large population blocks by disease was not really deliberate, and actually worked against the Spanish interest in having a population to subjugate.

Duuvian

« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2007, 07:35:30 PM »
Well, from my limited memory, I think gustav said in an earlier post that if you start beating an enemy faction, they will always ally with the other faction. Thats how it works on the Mexica side anyways in EVERY game i've played through, so it seems likely to me. That makes it fairly impossible to achieve uniting all the indigenous peoples in the game onto your side, as Mexica and Tlax start off hating each other, Mexica is neutral to the Spanish and Tlax is hostile to the Spanish. Once Mexica gets the upper hand on the Tlaxtecs, the Tlaxtecs ally to the Spanish and then it's the Mexicas who become the underdogs (at least until the Tlax are eliminated, which usually doesnt take long after they ally to the Spanish)

I'd have to agree with Goodknight, it would be fun to change history if your playing as the natives by unifying the continent somehow. Maybe through some quests to prove to neighboring tribes that it would be a better idea to ally with you rather than the Spanish. I have confidence in guspav thinking of something good.

And pouring liquid gold down Cortez's throat would make one hellacious ending screen on a native victory. Just a still picture would be sweet if it was well done, but if it was modelled I would wet my pants, haha.

Offline guspav

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2007, 08:59:11 AM »
hmm yep.. those sound like interesting suggestions, to have each city have it's own quests and reputation requirements so that you can make it's inhabitants loyal to your cause (regardless of what it is), metal items trade should also start flowing after a few weeks so that would fire a what if scenario... I'm not sure if it'll be very healthy to the troops file since only troops in the 1-255 id  numbers range can be upgradable, but we'll see.

Also a way of the mexicas being able to visualise the spaniards as a threat would be interesting and potentially dangerous to the spanish faction.... hmmm

thank you all for your suggestions, they are very good and I'll see what i can do about them to make the mod more interesting.. even though it'll be a TON of work hehe

Duuvian

« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2007, 08:36:31 PM »
Just a few suggestions:

1: I noticed that the halberd and the poleaxe have the exact same stats, except the halberd is slightly heavier. It seems to me that the poleaxe would have less or no thrust damage and (perhaps) higher swing damage or higher speed. I say this because the poleaxe doesnt appear to have anything capable of thrusting, just an axeblade. While this could still (maybe) be used to drag across an opponent in a thrusting motion, it still seems to me it should be less damaging than it is now. Plus there is no reason other than looks to use a halberd.

2: A two handed obsidian axe for the natives would be cool, if they existed. Right now they only have 2h Macuahuatls.

3: Not sure if it is a bug, but some totonic units use spanish equiptment. I know I've seen 2h metal axes, and I think I remember seeing swords also.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2007, 10:48:15 PM »
I can get a couple of those, at least partially:

The halberd and poleaxe stats were thrown together when the new halberd models were added.  They may need some tweaking.  I said that the new halberds had an awl-pike point and needed thrust damage stats like an awl-pike ... but that comment didn't make it into the last release.  There may be a lot of things like that, which could use a little tweaking.

As far as I can find in history, no two-handed stone cutting axes were used in the Americas, at least not in any number.  Larger items were mostly hammers - and stone sledge hammers are included, if unpopular as weapons.  Native combat in the Americas was mostly based around light, fast weapons - obsidian daggers were valued family possessions (with a social status similar to what Japan placed on swords).

Actually, the two-handed macuahuatl was probably a LOT less common than what is seen in this mod.  That was an accommodation to give them a fighting chance against Spanish armor and horse.  Sort-of an assumption that, once they realized what they were up against, they would go home and dig out the heavier weapons.

There are eventual plans to incorporate a certain number of European items into the native forces, to represent the in-flow of such weapons and equipment in trade.  So far, there are only a few among the Totonic, but there has been discussion of further development of that theme.

Offline guspav

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2007, 12:38:55 AM »
That is true, stone and obsidian axes were all meant to be used one handed since they had a short grip (my model doesn't seem very short thoug, will nee to fix that hehe)
Still I am going to add a copper axe. Since those were used as wood cutting tools I am guessing they should be two handed, besides a copper axe would be VERY heavy.

Actually I am not so sure about the two handed macuahuitls being that rare, In Bernal Diaz's  Chronicles he describes "sticks with razor sharp blades as tall as a man and that had to be wielded two handed" But he doesn't say whether most soldiers were armed with them or just a few. Still, macuahuitls did require some pedigree for being used, a lot like european swords, so the average novice warrior shouldn't have one very frequently (either the one handed or two handed version), I am going to check troop inventories a bit to make lower level troops use more tool-like weapons instead.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 12:46:15 AM by guspav »

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2007, 02:56:59 AM »
On that note, some less-refined obsidian-blade or flint-head war clubs might be in order.  Not wanting to give too much credit to an utterly bizarre movie, but "Apocalypto" had some good ones.  That movie also pointed out that a lot of native troops in the area, at least outside of the Mexia Empire, wore no armor at all.  (Some art of the period would somewhat confirm that.)  We seem to be missing those two points. 

Granted, that is partially because not much has been done with the other tribes yet, but this is a suggestions thread, after all.

Sunhawken

« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2007, 07:30:05 AM »
I all ways hated when i could not join battles between 2 enemys .

The menu for that should be like this.

"Don't get involved"
   "Help [Side 1]"     
   "Help [Side 2]"
   "Attack Both parties"

Offline guspav

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2007, 08:06:01 AM »
I am not sure that can be done with the current module system, but I'll look into it